Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weather in September

Options
  • 20-05-2015 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Can anyone tell what kind of weather to expect in an average September?

Very interested in what temperatures and how much precipitation can be expected.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Very interested in what temperatures and how much precipitation can be expected.

Thanks in advance.

September by and large tends to be a pleasant month on average, characterized by warm, humid days. Nights can be quite balmy, and can, on occasion be amongst the warmest of the year due to the relatively high humidity - especially during the first half of the month. If recent trends are to go by, rainfall is relatively infrequent but can be heavy when it occurs. Winds mostly gentle but now and again the odd rouge hurricane remenants can bring something more serious (Debbie in 1961 & Gordon in 2006 for example).

Average max temps hover around 17.5 - 18.0c during first half of the month and around 16c over the second half.

Mean minima around 10.5-11.5c first half to 9-10c during the remainder.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Leocolceathrar

Thanks Patrick , very informative indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thanks in advance.

Wedding?

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Wedding?

Nope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

The first week of September is usually the warmest week and is often a continuation of summer.

The decline in max temp through September is fairly sharp; so what part of September are you talking about?

• Advertisement

From about the 5th to the 20th of September.

From about the 5th to the 20th of September.

Then probably not much different from the past week; a bit warmer and obviously the days will be shorter.

Highs around 18/19C on the 5th (in Dublin) and 16/17C by the 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

September average lately is rather dry, sunny and mild conditions. Look at all the Septembers since 2006 in Ireland:

Sep 2006: Exceptionally wet, windy and warm but sunny. Warmest September on record.
    Sep 2007: Mainly mild (cold nights), dry and sunny.
    Sep 2008: Extremely wet in east (my wettest September on record) with near normal temperatures and sunny except in east.
    Sep 2009: Very dry, sunny and relatively mild (lack of high daytime temperatures).
    Sep 2010: Heavy rain during the period 5th-7th brought totals very high in places. A very sunny and warm month generally.
    Sep 2011: Exceptionally dull (though Grange, my station was surprisingly sunny!), wet, windy and warm.
    Sep 2012: Variable rainfall but wet in east and north due to the storm on the 24th/25th. Very sunny and cold (lack of high daytime temperatures after around the 10th and very low nightime temperatures). Grange for example only recorded 9.2c as a maximum during the storm on the 24th!
    Sep 2013: Very dull (except in Dublin) but dry and warm generally.
    Sep 2014: Extremely dry (except at Dromoland Castle, Co. Clare according to Met Éireann), mainly sunny (dull in places) and quite warm.

What could we expect this year? Mm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

When the children go back to School it will be sunny and warm.:D

OldRio wrote: »
    When the children go back to School it will be sunny and warm.:D

There hasn't been a bad back to school week since 2009 but in the western half, 2nd Sep 2011 was a wet day. Same with 4th Sep 2013.

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    There hasn't been a bad back to school week since 2009 but in the western half, 2nd Sep 2011 was a wet day. Same with 4th Sep 2013.

I've often thought (but never did the research) that in Dublin at least, the 1st - 7th September might be the best weather week of the year based on long term averages.

I've often thought (but never did the research) that in Dublin at least, the 1st - 7th September might be the best weather week of the year based on long term averages.

Not the full week! Look at the following wet days for example in Grange (my station near Howth in Dublin) during such periods since 2006:

5th Sep 2006: 3.8mm
    5th Sep 2008: 43.2mm
    2nd Sep 2009: 12.4mm - more than 75% of my total for that month which was very dry overall
    6th Sep 2010: 56.9mm - wettest September day on record

The ones not mentioned have all been dry across Dublin! With 2010 (up to 3rd) and 2012 quite pleasant!

Not the full week! Look at the following wet days for example in Grange (my station near Howth in Dublin) during such periods since 2006:

5th Sep 2006: 3.8mm
    5th Sep 2008: 43.2mm
    2nd Sep 2009: 12.4mm - more than 75% of my total for that month which was very dry overall
    6th Sep 2010: 56.9mm - wettest September day on record

The ones not mentioned have all been dry across Dublin! With 2010 (up to 3rd) and 2012 quite pleasant!

Eh...I'd be kinda looking back to eh...somewhere in the early 70s :(

Eh...I'd be kinda looking back to eh...somewhere in the early 70s :(

Yeah back to school weeks were very dry in the 70's. Two big exceptions I can think of - well one that was not so big and one that was huge. 1973 and 1976.

Yeah back to school weeks were very dry in the 70's. Two big exceptions I can think of - well one that was not so big and one that was huge. 1973 and 1976.

1976 had a stunning 1st week of September in South Dublin....:confused:

1976 had a stunning 1st week of September in South Dublin....:confused:

Sorry stupid typo, I meant 1979

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Present model runs suggest typically warm sunny beach weather when the children are required to go back to school on the last days of August and the first days of September.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Present model runs suggest typically warm sunny beach weather when the children are required to go back to school on the last days of August and the first days of September.

It may not look like that now. Like the headline for this week before back to school is:

Rain at times and quite cool.

Advertisement