Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Early Summer: Noticeably warmer from Saturday (24th March)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭compsys

As someone who actually like to see the sun in the sky I have to say March has still been a fairly miserable month for me.

Yes, it's been extremely dry and settled but many of the days have been ridiculously dull, dark and cloudy. I'd almost prefer some rain because at least then you're guaranteed some half-decent sun between the showers - especially in the East. All we've gotten in Dublin recently is misty murky weather :mad:

Is anyone confident that we'll get to see some decent sun next week or will it be more of the same? Most of the forecasts are showing settled sunny weather for Dublin but it's never materialised this week so I'm not confident.

Also, what's the reason for all the cloud? If we have a strong anti-cyclone sitting over us then why isn't it bringing us more sunshine? Is it because of the cold sea or is the anti cyclone not really over us at all? If so, how come south east England is still bathing in glorious sunshine? Surely the water off the south east English coast is as cold if not colder than the Irish sea at the moment?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Currently 16C in North Co. Wexford with hazy sun. Rather close to the coast so can see some fog about. Its quite blustery as well so not quite shirtless weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

bright sunshine in cork, far from warm though. although looking out at it, it's looks lovely. damn assignments.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Suns gone in here in Athlone. Was about 17 before 2, its 15 now. Tomorrow looks much more promising everywhere though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Hazy sunshine earlier, gone cloudy now but still managed 17.3C

Looking at the 06Z GFS there's not a drop of rain anywhere for the rest of the month and beyond. Great for us but southern England is going to have big problems over the summer if they don't get some good rainfall soon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Harps wrote: »
    Hazy sunshine earlier, gone cloudy now but still managed 17.3C

Ditto here, got a max of 17.3c. Haxy sunshine at the moment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Midday tomorrow. Current cloud passing through makes it way to Scotland leaving us in a less breezy setup.

12032512_2412.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,631 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

compsys wrote: »
    As someone who actually like to see the sun in the sky I have to say March has still been a fairly miserable month for me.

Yes, it's been extremely dry and settled but many of the days have been ridiculously dull, dark and cloudy. I'd almost prefer some rain because at least then you're guaranteed some half-decent sun between the showers - especially in the East. All we've gotten in Dublin recently is misty murky weather :mad:

Is anyone confident that we'll get to see some decent sun next week or will it be more of the same? Most of the forecasts are showing settled sunny weather for Dublin but it's never materialised this week so I'm not confident.

Also, what's the reason for all the cloud? If we have a strong anti-cyclone sitting over us then why isn't it bringing us more sunshine? Is it because of the cold sea or is the anti cyclone not really over us at all? If so, how come south east England is still bathing in glorious sunshine? Surely the water off the south east English coast is as cold if not colder than the Irish sea at the moment?:confused:

There has been alot of Anticyclonic gloom this month for sure which is a very depressing type of weather, but I must say today here has been a cracker here with temps approaching 18C. In fact I can only remember 5 or 6 better days during what was supposed to be summer 2011:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Far from a cracking day here. Max temp 14.8c but a strong gusty South Easterly (Max Gust 50km/h)making it feel almost cold. Mostly cloudy now but some hazy sunshine earlier.

An interesting image from Netweather showing the radar returns for the month, not sure how accurate it is but as little as 10mm of rain showing up for parts of the south and east. With no rain at all for the rest of the month it looks like it could match or even beat last April for the lack of rain

March2012.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭xper

Harps wrote: »
    An interesting image from Netweather showing the radar returns for the month, not sure how accurate it is but as little as 10mm of rain showing up for parts of the south and east. With no rain at all for the rest of the month it looks like it could match or even beat last April for the lack of rain
    The noly thing I can conclude from that image is that there are significant blind sectors on many of the radar sites with Shannon, Belfast, London and Stornoway seemingly particularly prone and that there is pretty poor calibration between sites, most obviusly demonstrated by the boundary changes between Shannon and Land's End and the sectors going up the English east coast. Makes a bit of a mockery of trying to interpret the actual data.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Whats wrong with this. It was taken tonight

IMG_8706.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

yogidc26 wrote: »
    Whats wrong with this. It was taken tonight

IMG_8706.JPG
    Clocks go forward .
    Pedantic Pat Pedantic Pat and that is that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

is that serious by RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

snaps wrote: »
    is that serious by RTE?

Yep the news said forward and the weather said back so maybe we don't loose anything :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Well done Darkman.....spot on forecasting in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

was just looking at that weather forecast, its spring forward fall back , sheez

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

What's with all the wind? I nearly got blown off Errigal today! Is it going to be the same tomorrow does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The Fohn effect in play right now at Casement.

Reaching 18c at 11am and yesterday that would have been 18c at 10am.

Quite the temperature for March 25th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lovely jubbly weather - all sun and no wind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

The Fohn effect in play right now at Casement.

Reaching 18c at 11am and yesterday that would have been 18c at 10am.

Quite the temperature for March 25th

sea breeze blowing and warming across Dublin/wicklow mountains?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

15.2C in Cork City now, skies are a slightly hazy blue.
    Large cluster of stations to the north and north west of the Wicklow Mts showing temps of 18-20C. As mentioned, Fohn effect most likely at play.

18 here in Athlone. Mostly clear blue skies, bit of haze to the south. Feels a tad cooler in the breeze but its very pleasant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

what a fantastic day, long may this continue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The "ya-boo" colder snap that Musicman2000 mentioned has been downgraded as things stand. It looks like we will just about stay on the warm side of the divide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

mike65 wrote: »
    The "ya-boo" colder snap that Musicman2000 mentioned has been downgraded as things stand. It looks like we will just about stay on the warm side of the divide.

Would say the nights will be frosty? I'd take cooler dry sunny days over any Atlantic muck we usually have. Its as nice outside today as a summers day we are used to. Glourious. Kids are all playing outside, its a great feel good factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

good call Darkman, its absolutely sweltering here .... over 24c... Beautiful day :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Great call on this one folks , be gorer b'gosh she be 22.4 c in my backyard in Newbridge !

Just finished off the first BBQ of the season ! Long may it continue :D

Absolutely stunning here as well, 21.5C and not a cloud in the sky :cool:

20C at Finner & Casement but only 13C at Cork and Roaches Point, the sea breeze on the south coast having a big effect, barely a breath of wind here thankfully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Incase anyone missed it, Scotland beat it's March max temperature record today with 22.3C in Fyvie Castle in Aberdeenshire.

Advertisement