Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees already turning autumnal?

• 25-08-2015 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Just seen IWO posted up about the trees starting to turn autumnal. I was meant to put up a thread few weeks back when I first noticed it at the start of august, but the last 2 weeks it's very very noticeable, with conker trees almost completely red and alot of other trees yellow etc

Is there any proof that an early autumn means we're in for a long autumn/winter?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Is there any proof that an early autumn means we're in for a long autumn/winter?

Far more to do with past weather than future weather....the trees can't see into the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I was going to post a thread on this last night, i brought the kids for a walk around the wood up at the home place yesterday evening and noticed leaves turning color, and a good few leaves falling from some of the tress, said it to the auld boy, and he reckons its the earliest he can remember this happening, usually the middle of september onwards he says he notices it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Yeah I was only mentioning this to the mother the other day, last year it was well into September that it started, lack of prolonged sunshine is my guess as it triggers the trees defence system to start... ( cut off sap to the leaves )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Usually happens late August.

Can also be caused by anything from drought to insects. But the chestnut and the birches usually turn early relative to the oak and the beech trees. And that's autumn and not the above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Much of the leaf fall/colour change around Galway city is the result of wind damage - definitely no drought in these parts :D
    Birches and chestnut are still in full green leaf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Good enough reasons ha! I thought it might have been some else but makes sense when you think of it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Wind damage leaves would take on a more blackened appearance. I recall this happened to a lot of trees in my area in either Summer 2010 or 2011. This time around it just seems to be certain species that are getting that distinctive autumny yellowy brown look a bit earlier than usual here in Galway at least.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the unusually chilly nights we've had this summer as the cause of leaves turning yellow so early.
    An incredible 3.9c was recorded at Dublin A on July 15th. I've also noticed unusually heavy dews throughout the summer despite the short nights, heavy dew normally doesn't feature until around this time of year as the nights lengthen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ive noticed a couple of trees around sligo got NO leaves this Summer. Whats up there?

Also when running some of the sycamores have tar spot from rain and cold

Also horse chestnuts already shedding heavily though these usually go early

However mystified by those trees that grew no leaves

Maybe they need sun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Regardless of whether its starting early, the Forestry Commission is predicting that 2015 could be a particularly good year for beautiful autumn colours.
    Wet conditions with periods of heavy rain interspersed with some warm sunny days will have allowed trees to produce plenty of the sugars that create the vivid reds, oranges and yellows when they are withdrawn from the leaves into the trees in autumn.

Full story here

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

If anything, so far, the leaves are turning later this year. Probably the cool summer.

Advertisement