Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cathal Nolan disappeared?

• 06-04-2021 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Just wondering if anyone knows what happened to Cathal Nolan and his social media sites Ireland’s Weather Channel? His site used to be Midlands Weather Channel. He was around until February but seems to have vanished around then.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It's not like him to step out of the limelight without good reason. His most recent FB post was about fashion on March 23rd, and several of his sheep followers asked where were the weather updates, but he ignored them. Maybe he finally came to his senses and realised he's a spoofer.

I think he's involved with the Social Democrats; might be they are reining in their flakier members social media activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Was he the guy with the purple warnings?

Was he the guy with the purple warnings?

Yes, purple warnings for everything and anything. Pure clickbait

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

blaris wrote: »
    I think he's involved with the Social Democrats; might be they are reining in their flakier members social media activities.

Apparantly so: https://www.offalyindependent.ie/2020/10/16/rhode-weatherman-takes-first-steps-into-local-politics/

• Advertisement

IWC was all just a publicity stunt to get his name out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yeah I’d summarise it that way too

Seems he was using the forecasts more for publicity purposes than genuine interest ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

Cathal was on The Last Word today talking about the upcoming 'mini heatwave' this weekend. He's back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

esposito wrote: »
    Cathal was on The Last Word today talking about the upcoming 'mini heatwave' this weekend. He's back!

I see he is now planning on a €20 fee for people to subscribe to a detailed whatsapp group forecast.
    Gaoth laidir the first to subscribe :pac:

lolie wrote: »
    I see he is now planning on a €20 fee for people to subscribe to a detailed whatsapp group forecast.
    Gaoth laidir the first to subscribe :pac:

Where do I sign?!

I see a lot of his sheep are unhappy about it. Think he's shot himself in the foot there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

Where do I sign?!

I see a lot of his sheep are unhappy about it. Think he's shot himself in the foot there

Plenty unhappy about it but plenty planning on paying the €20, fools and their money eh. Must be the thought of purple warnings enticing them.
    If only there were free forecasts online people could avail of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

lolie wrote: »
    Plenty unhappy about it but plenty planning on paying the €20, fools and their money eh. Must be the thought of purple warnings enticing them.
    If only there were free forecasts online people could avail of.

Ha never going to happen. You think the state are going to fund a professional well funded meteorological service and give out free weather forecasts.....

Ohh... oh wait.

Fools are their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That should be reported to the Gardaí as attempted fraud.

As a local politician I assume that any moneys made from this business venture will be declared for tax purposes. I'm sure he's organised all that already...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

On the last word he started talking about the extreme weather events in Canada, Germany and now here. In fairness to Matt Cooper he pulled him up on how 24c or 25c in July was possibly an extreme weather event......

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

😂 So he is calling the mid 20s extreme. If he sat in death Valley for 10mins he would know what extreme is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

On his facebook page he had a following who were, how shall I put it, very ill informed. And for some reason 4/5 of his fans were female.

In June 2020 he forecast thunderstorms worse than July 1985, they were going to be the 'thunderstorms of the century'! Large swathes of the country were covered in his new purple warning! No thunder reported anywhere.

In February 2019 he predicted 7-8 inches of snow all through the midlands from Monaghan to South Tipp, east Galway to Kildare. There was sleet on higher ground. They are just 2 of his outlandish forecasts off the top of my head. And yet his site would be full of 'Oh Cathal, your so much better than Evelyn Cusack' BS. Weather hyping doesn't effect most of us who are younger and aren't gullible. But that fella frightened the life out of many older people about major storms and cold spells, where they worried about fuel etc. There are repercussions to this sensationalism. He's a little, it begins with p and ends in k. His political career doesn't bear thinking about, 'Rhode Weatherman' indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I think it was him, that was on one of the radio stations today, giving his tuppence about the weather.

I think it was 4fm/classic hits or RedFm or Newstalk

Advertisement