Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N15 - Roadworks

Options
  • 06-04-2021 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

(To have a separate discussion thread from the Western Distributor Road which is completed)

https://www.sligococo.ie/N4-N15/

Works are anticipated to be completed by Q2 2021 - Fingers crossed

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Mullinabreena

I wonder will the benefits of this work be worth the hassle and costs involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Same. I think they really built it because someone at SCC has shares at a traffic light factory.....

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

I seriously don’t think it will have much, if any, benefit to the general traffic flow in the town. Looking at the overall drawing I struggle to see the real advantages of this work.

This work was supposed to be completed in Q.4 2020 but I doubt it will be completed in Q.2 or even Q.3 this year.

The only part they’ve completed thus far is planting trees in the middle section of the road. Kind of says it all really.

Would never normally turn my nose up at any road projects in Sligo as they are generally long overdue (current N4 project & hopefully N17 in time) but N15 roadworks has been a mess from the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Piece on this in the Sligo Weekender (13th May '21). Advising road should be more free flowing by July.

The Duck street junction is a disaster! Nearly missed my vaccine appointment because of the the tailbacks!

• Advertisement

Duck street Junction Detour in place for this week - expect delays

https://www.sligococo.ie/PublicNotices/WorksatN4-N16Junction/

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭scooby77

An absolute mess this morning. Usual morning hit summerhill roundabout 7.50, heading North, pass Henderson's garage before or during 8am news.
    This morning Summerhill 7.50am, Henderson's 8.30am news!
    No plan in place.
    Old Bundoran Road heading South an hour ago a car park!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Mullinabreena

It's disgraceful how long this project is going on now. I understand its a complicated junction but it's over a year now since work began. I actually think it will make traffic congestion worse at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

It remains to be seen if the new traffic signaling system that is being installed with help the overall flow of traffic through the town but as it stands the "upgraded" infrastructure just seems to be worse when you compare it to what existed.

You now have no free flowing traffic out at the Rosses Point junction as the slipway is replaced with a left turn at the lights.

The same bottleneck still exists at the Rosses Point junction heading North. Where two lanes have to merge into one if they want to continue on North past this junction.

The lights at the N16 junction coming from North -> South turn red when the traffic coming from Rosses Point get their green light. This only gives space for about 5 cars to get out without blocking the huge Yellow box at that junction, causing large tailbacks from the Rosses Point side

There's no longer a yield turn on green from the N4 down the N16 from South -> North so you now have to wait for the filter arrow to turn right only. It will be interesting to see how this works on busy mornings when College starts back.

The amount of traffic lights between junctions and pedestriation crossings down at the N4/N15/N16 junction is lit up like a Christmas tree. I've never seen so many. There must be nearly 30 there! I sometimes wonder if the whole junction could have been simplified with a pedestrian overpass

Also not sure of the purpose of the big wide island down the middle of the N4 past the bridge.

It was frustrating having to cross the bridge over the bank holiday weekend. I just hope it will all be forgotten quickly when it finally opens (and works out?)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭I told ya

I grew up in the per 3rd bridge days.

I was always of the view that the town needed 2 additional bridges, one for local traffic and one for national traffic. I know money was short in the 80s but it just shows the lack of long term planning. As to the exact locations, well that's another matter.

Maybe the new distributor road may eventually lead onto a fourth bridge. Best way would be to get the national/through traffic away from Hugh's Bridge.

No matter how much work is done on this junction, it's always going to be problematic. Too tight a space and too much traffic all being funneled into the junction.

I remember a report in The Sligo Champion of a Sligo Corporation debate on building a third bridge. Some engineer was saying that a big issue was the approach roads. The response he got from one of the Clrs was build the bridge and worry about the approach roads later. That sums it up.

I remember one night in TDs when the bridge was being built. A big discussion was being had, should have been built here, there, in the wrong place, bla, bla, bla. Eventually, some fella sitting in the corner pipes up: 'FFS lads, the river's in the wrong place'. Classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

So it looks like there is only going to be one dedicated north bound lane on the bridge and traffic has to merge just past tds

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

londonred wrote: »
    So it looks like there is only going to be one dedicated north bound lane on the bridge and traffic has to merge just past tds

Do you mean permanently? If so that is incorrect. The bridge was extended with extra lane but was not used until this phase of work. So there will be two lanes northbound and a lane for turning right onto Markievicz Rd. 3 lanes each side

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

londonred wrote: »

It's all the same what they do / did on the bridge.

There's only the width of one vehicle allowed through at Circle K.

A bottleneck. And it always will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

sligojoek wrote: »

Not there, one junction earlier after the bridge. A digger on left lane so only one lane open yesterday - traffic jam all over the town at around 3PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Gipo3 wrote: »
    Do you mean permanently? If so that is incorrect. The bridge was extended with extra lane but was not used until this phase of work. So there will be two lanes northbound and a lane for turning right onto Markievicz Rd. 3 lanes each side

Looks like it big traffic light island there going to be very tight and that's not including cycle lanes.

sligojoek wrote: »

The long term plan is for dual carriageway from this point. Anyway soon enough we will find out who is right. The road designers or the experts on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Gipo3 wrote: »
    The long term plan is for dual carriageway from this point. Anyway soon enough we will find out who is right. The road designers or the experts on boards.
    if it was a bottle neck before this and they haven't done anything to address it then its eh still going to be a bottle neck.

It was not a bottle neck there. I travel it everyday. The bottle necks were caused by traffic turning into/from ash lane, etc. How was there a bottle neck where there was no more traffic lights or anything else to stop the traffic?
    Some whingers on here.

Disruption all this week both day & night as resurfacing going on. (up to 17/7/21)

(But at least they are now working evenings on getting it finished)

19/7 - Great to see more lanes now open in both directions...

• Advertisement

28/7 Diversions every night this week from 7pm to 7am just in case anyone gets caught out with traffic detours unexpectantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

The traffic isn't so bad these days with schools off and stuff. It almost feels like it is back to being as good before the work started 😆

Also, I have begun to notice a few near clashes and short tempers there it goes back to single lane at Circle K.

Huge amount of red light jumpers - Has to be a matter of time before a bad crash as a result. Glad I have a dash cam & won't be afraid to use it against any red light jumper. Pure ignorant some drivers.

(Poor judgement combined with zero enforcement)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

There was a minor crash last week - not sure of the cause.

I've noticed cars flying through amber and red lights if you're turning right off the N15 towards the IT. Not justifying it but the wait time for the filter is quite long and then it's quite short when it appears - doesn't help things.

Advertisement