Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bothar Charity under investigation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭thebourke

we have serious problem in this country with white collar crime....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

thebourke wrote: »
    we have serious problem in this country with white collar crime....

All crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Will rarely fund any of these charities anymore including pieta house

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Mc Love wrote: »
    Will rarely fund any of these charities anymore including pieta house

Have read a bit about pieta lately

Something not right about the whole set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I have given a lot of money to charities in the past. I feel like I'm being swindled sometimes... And then they keep sending you full colour brochures in the post etc to make you feel extra guilty about the ****ing **** state of the world. With you name and details printed on bank demands.

One decent upside is that they can claim the income tax you paid on the amount.

Just need to find a charity to trust.

But this particular case seems to stink. It's like pissing in the wind giving money to Africa and then you've got the dodgy blokes and blokettes in Ireland creaming money off.
    Trocaire is a trustworthy charity to which I have been donating whatever I can afford for many years. Properly run in a prudent fashion and transparent without the egomaniacal/media monster types in charge as was once the case with Goal, Console and others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Limerick Native

Check out today's Irish Independent, full 2 page spread blowing it all open, shocking to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭pjordan

chicorytip wrote: »
    Trocaire is a trustworthy charity to which I have been donating whatever I can afford for many years. Properly run in a prudent fashion and transparent without the egomaniacal/media monster types in charge as was once the case with Goal, Console and others.

I donate to Trocaire every Easter in lieu of filling the Trocaire box anymore. I also have a monthly direct debit to Concern.

What actually annoys me however is the regular phone calls I get from Concern (which I ignore) and yesterday I received a mail shot from Trocaire and another from Simon (cos I made a donation in some LLS fundraiser).

I donated my money to these charities to benefit needy people, not to fund further expensive glossy marketing/mailshots to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I never understood why these people get paid so much from what is supposed to be a charity organisation. I know people will come along and say you don't get the experience and knowledge necessary to run these companies from people less paid, but if you're going into charity work expecting large wages, you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

I don't donate because of things like this. I genuinely can't trust any of them. Nobody should be getting rich from charity work.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Had experience of bothar. My parents have livestock and wanted to donate an animal for the charity. Bothar weren't interested in the dairy heifer all they wanted was a cash donation.

They questioned my parents rationale for not giving a cash donation of a similar amount to the value of the livestock. My fathers response was apt giving the goings on" you cant squander the cow, as the person receiving the cow can only receive a full not a partial animal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭kirving

pjordan wrote: »
    What actually annoys me however is the regular phone calls I get from Concern (which I ignore)

Call them and ask them to take you off all mailings. They do take that seriously as they don't want to irritate existing donors.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I was reading about a charity, headed by a former irish celebrity, a well know know man, in their last accounts their income was €7 million, they spent €6.5 on salary's, PR, advertising, office costs etc All the while he gets media coverage, book publicity making him out to be a saint

Which charity is this please? You won't be breaching any confidences as they all report this information to the Charity Regulator.

Spending on salaries isn't a bad thing in labour intensive sectors like homeless services or disability care services.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

Which charity is this please? You won't be breaching any confidences as they all report this information to the Charity Regulator.

Spending on salaries isn't a bad thing in labour intensive sectors like homeless services or disability care services.

This sounds like Irish Autism Action.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/autism-charity-collapses-after-years-of-financial-struggles-1.3826365

Bicyclette wrote: »

Possibly, though the post seems to be confusing fund raising costs and operating costs. It might have been helpful to explain that the charity has been shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

The previous CEO of Bothar also being looked at. he resigned in 2011 but still got large payments for 4 years after
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/payments-to-second-ex-bothar-ceo-being-probed-by-charity-40311283.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭JibJabWibWab

jay0109 wrote: »
    The previous CEO of Bothar also being looked at. he resigned in 2011 but still got large payments for 4 years after
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/payments-to-second-ex-bothar-ceo-being-probed-by-charity-40311283.html

I will never contribute to any charity with a "CEO".
    Peter McVerry Trust had an income of 46 million in 2019 and spent 26 million on staff.
    They only spent 9.5 million on actual housing.
    The average wage is over 52k.

Google Peter McVerry Trust financial accounts 2019 for source.

I will never contribute to any charity with a "CEO".
    Peter McVerry Trust had an income of 46 million in 2019 and spent 26 million on staff.
    They only spent 9.5 million on actual housing.
    The average wage is over 52k.
    F**k off...

Google Peter McVerry Trust financial accounts 2019 for source.

Housing isn't much good without people to operate it and support residents. Homeless services are labour intensive. PMV aren't a building company.

Unless of course, you're an expert in running homeless services yourself?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Just a reminder folks that this is the Limerick regional forum so please keep the topics to Limerick related issues. This forum isn't a general charity forum or 1 that can discuss other charities. Also, the Bothar investigation is an ongoing case so please include a link to any article you are quoting when discussing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭JibJabWibWab

Housing isn't much good without people to operate it and support residents. Homeless services are labour intensive. PMV aren't a building company.

Unless of course, you're an expert in running homeless services yourself?
    In 2019, Peter McVerry Trust supported 6,184 unique individuals across our services.

Over the course of the year, our Housing With Supports team made a total of 50,000 home supports visits to social housing tenants across Ireland.

When you divide that workload by the 460 frontline staff, across the full year, it doesn't seem particularly efficient...

https://pmvtrust.ie/annual-report-2019/

https://pmvtrust.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/2019-PMVT-CLG-Signed-Audited-Accounts.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

jay0109 wrote: »

From personal experience, this is a portion of that particular charity that will bare fruit IMO.
    From Cooperation North, some Brothers of Charity affiliated work and the G.A.P of the late 90's there is a lot of interest in those activities that would hold a lot of interest for investigation.

The model of the charity sector in Ireland is quite open to abuse and from personal and professional experience, it is both common and a huge obstacle to effective action on both Government policy and actual charitable supports.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

OK folks, this is a topic for discussion that really isn't suitable for a regional forum, not only are the mods not up to speed with the state of charities in Ireland but we aren't in a position to make judgment on any discussion on the topic. Please keep the topic to Limerick specific and we can keep the thread open.

If you would like to discuss the charity sector I would suggest the Current Affairs/IMHO forum would be an apt location for such a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Peter Ireton, the founder and former chief executive of the Limerick-based charity, Bóthar, was found dead in his home this morning, in what was described as a “personal tragedy”.

https://www.google.as/amp/s/www.breakingnews.ie/amp/ireland/founder-of-charity-bothar-found-dead-at-home-gardai-rule-out-foul-play-1113915.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Peter Ireton, the founder and former chief executive of the Limerick-based charity, Bóthar, was found dead in his home this morning, in what was described as a “personal tragedy”.

https://www.google.as/amp/s/www.breakingnews.ie/amp/ireland/founder-of-charity-bothar-found-dead-at-home-gardai-rule-out-foul-play-1113915.html

That charity seems to be making headlines for all the wrong reasons.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ah that’s awful. He was the founder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Ah that’s awful. He was the founder ?

Yes he was one of the co founders. It's the CEO who took over from him that is in court at moment.

https://newsreader.ie/payments-to-second-ex-bothar-ceo-being-probed-by-charity/

In court last week Bóthar has said that as far as the board was concerned, Mr Ireton retired in 2011.

Here is an article from 2013, where he was still working for them

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20247633.html%3ftype=amp

It's very sad for all the honest people involved, it seemed to be a great charity to help the poorest feed themselves.

Hopefully the truth will come out.
    It's very sad for his friends and family.
    May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

This is so sad. My family had dealings with the charity a long time ago, and Peter was always an absolute gentleman. May he RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Personally, I never felt comfortable knowing livestock from Ireland was being sent to the extreme heat and hunger of parts of Africa.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

finbarrk wrote: »
    Personally, I never felt comfortable knowing livestock from Ireland was being sent to the extreme heat and hunger of parts of Africa.

... becuase they dont have cows or goats in africa ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

finbarrk wrote: »

A friend of mine did a lot of charity work in various parts of Africa and he told me they treat donated animals incredibly well. It's not like the beast is just dropped off without any preparation, every aspect of the animals care and needs are thought of and prepared for.

They are basically treated like a goose that lays golden eggs.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
Advertisement