Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

COVID-19 in Carlow

Options
  • 14-08-2020 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭

Thought I might start a dedicated thread for this.

Cases have been creeping up in Carlow over the last week and I estimate they are around 30/100,000 now ( Laois around 90/100000). I think we are the next worst county after Laois. Hope it can be controlled but Im feeling very pessimistic about it at present

(edit just noticed there were older threads - mods feel free to merge)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

24 cases in two weeks (up to 15th August) which means roughly 100/100k which is higher infection rate than any country of Europe today with exception of Spain. I wonder if there are any meat or mushroom plants in Carlow?

September1 wrote: »
    24 cases in two weeks (up to 15th August) which means roughly 100/100k which is higher infection rate than any country of Europe today with exception of Spain. I wonder if there are any meat or mushroom plants in Carlow?

The cases I have heard about seem to be unconnected to the meat factories.

fits wrote: »

Those places could cause accelerate outbreaks if infection appears there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

I know of 3 pubs in town who are all allowing you to stay and drink as long as you like. One pub told my wife "if the law comes in just order a pizza" she left after half an hour as it got busy.

I was out for a cycle the other day and came across a gaa match there was well over the 200 attending, there was no social distancing at all. It's easy to see why the government have banned attending games.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,283 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Shaws and Haddens have closed till at least Monday due to a staff member contracting Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Yes I know of a cluster of cases directly linked to a meat plant in Kildare. Also heard of cases in Rathvilly similarly linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

A Carlow town primary school have just confirmed 2 cases

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Laois_Man wrote: »
    A Carlow town primary school have just confirmed 2 cases
    Source? The reason I ask is that a rumour went around 2 weeks ago that a particular primary had sent 3 classes home, so need to be sure it's not just speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

Have also seen this tonight. There is a screenshot of a message from a Carlow Town School on the Alerting parents of outbreaks in schools "Ireland" Facebook page. It states 2 cases and seems very legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Source? The reason I ask is that a rumour went around 2 weeks ago that a particular primary had sent 3 classes home, so need to be sure it's not just speculation.

Confirmed by Principal of the Primary School, the ETNS has had a case; they've identified close contacts who're now isolating.

There's no need in such cases, if pods/bubbles are adhered to to send whole class home much less shut the school.

Schools're only accounting for 1.9% of cases; community or in-home settings're running @ 6%.

Quare glad I'm not the Principal of any such school though; you do the right thing by HSE protocols in such an event but still Billy Big Balls thinks you & they're wrong because they got their information from Karen on Facebook whose 1st Cousin is married to a person whose friend is a vet but went out with a Nurse once....

Saw the Clinks marquee; they wven went to such lengths as to landscape the front & surrounds of it.

While the injunction order will be complied with, they have 3-4 weeks to do so by which time we will probably be back to Level 2 (hopefully!) so there'll be no need to challenge it or to breach it I guess?

They might find it becomes an opportunity for them going forward if functions become a thing again in 2021; they miss out on homecomings, Debs, Sacrament celebrations etc.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Saw the Clinks marquee; they wven went to such lengths as to landscape the front & surrounds of it.

While the injunction order will be complied with, they have 3-4 weeks to do so by which time we will probably be back to Level 2 (hopefully!) so there'll be no need to challenge it or to breach it I guess?

They might find it becomes an opportunity for them going forward if functions become a thing again in 2021; they miss out on homecomings, Debs, Sacrament celebrations etc.

It’s no different to a room in a building. I won’t be using it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Confirmed by Principal of the Primary School, the ETNS has had a case; they've identified close contacts who're now isolating.

There's no need in such cases, if pods/bubbles are adhered to to send whole class home much less shut the school.

Schools're only accounting for 1.9% of cases; community or in-home settings're running @ 6%.

Quare glad I'm not the Principal of any such school though; you do the right thing by HSE protocols in such an event but still Billy Big Balls thinks you & they're wrong because they got their information from Karen on Facebook whose 1st Cousin is married to
    a person whose friend is a vet but went out with a Nurse once....

Not in Carlow and not identifiable , but my friend is in a school further south . The children at the table ( lets be honest , that’s what “ pods “ are ) with child who
    was positive are not deemed close contacts .Neither the SNA or class teacher . No-one is being tested . Not one .
    An SEN teacher working 1 to 1 with the child for 5 30 minutes sessions last week won’t be tested either.

There is no social distancing as exists anywhere else . Up to 3rd , there is none at all . From 3rd to 6th there simply isn’t the space for children to be 1 m apart at all times , much less two .
    Schools can’t do anything more than work within their constraints . 30 people in a room for 5 hours are all close contacts . The DES is wilfully ignoring the “inconvenience “ of aerosol transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Carlow Educate Together have confirmed a third case. This one thru the montessori that is on their premesis

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Carlow Educate Together have confirmed a third case. This one thru the montessori that is on their premesis

Play Together is shut as a result for a fortnight as per the owner in a text to me just now.

The other premises remains open, continues unaffected + trades on.

Anyone know whats going on in the last week or so? The numbers seem to have gotten really bad all of a sudden and we are in the top half of the league table now - worse than Dublin!.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

Anyone know whats going on in the last week or so? The numbers seem to have gotten really bad all of a sudden and we are in the top half of the league table now - worse than Dublin!.

Several large family clusters confirmed in the town I believe. One close to me with a family of 8 all positive.

Carlow is now 6th most infected county in Ireland based on 14 day incidence per 100k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

Anecdotal I know, but there were a lot of family gatherings in the estate where I live over Christmas and especially New Year. A couple of them have resulted in clusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Carlow man

A supermarket in town had 20 cases in it most of the staff tested positive

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Beauchamp Bagenal

Thats how people are catching it. Bringing it home with them and infecting their families.

47 new cases today and up to 900 cases over the past 2 weeks in Carlow.

From the Nationalist:

The number of Covid-19 cases in Carlow rose by 47 on Thursday bringing the 14 day rolling total to over 900 cases in Carlow.

The most recent local figures show that they were 319 cases in Carlow town and surrounding areas between 28 December and 11 January.

There were 220 cases in the Bagenalstown LEA.
    280 cases in the Tullow LEA.
    Carlow’s rate of Covid-19 is marginally above the national average.
    One in 63 Carlow people has tested positive for Covid-19 in the last 14 days.

Was down in St. Dympnas today on unrelated matters; plenty of signage around the town on approach roads (the ones I use in any case) directing people to the site.

In off of the Old Dublin Rd. (Train Stn. side), down, into a hanger style or Steeltech shed, tested & back out again.

Traffic going in & out of it seemed steady enough; presume it's a 9 to 5 or an 8-6 job? Hardly 24/7 is it?

Fair impressed with how rapidly it went up; I know it's modular & involves portacabins also but still.

Because the structures're temporary, when we go back to normal in the Summer/Autumn (fingers crossed) the site can be restored back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Carlow man

Can you just go into it or have you to see your doctor first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

[quote="Nokia6230i;115922766"

Because the structures're temporary, when we go back to normal in the Summer/Autumn (fingers crossed) the site can be restored back to normal.[/quote]

That site will never be put back to the way it was. There is tons and tons of hardcore tar and tons of concrete where the shed is. Plus the gas lines and the building joining the esb network and waste system. I'm afraid that building will be standing empty in 20 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

Carlow man wrote: »
    Can you just go into it or have you to see your doctor first

You ring your doctor. They send your info through to the HSE and you then wait for a text from them with your time to go.

It seems that Carlow is of 6 counties that still have growing infection rate and this growth is fastest in Ireland. Does it mean we are the county that is flouting restrictions most?

• Advertisement

September1 wrote: »
    It seems that Carlow is of 6 counties that still have growing infection rate and this growth is fastest in Ireland. Does it mean we are the county that is flouting restrictions most?

Yes. We've had a whole year of Covid in Carlow.
    1800 confirmed cases in a year.
    Averaging 50 a day now and almost 1000 cases since Christmas.
    1 in 60 people have it.
    70 positive tests today.

Half the Carlow Gardai and St Dymphnas staff have it according to the Nationalist/CKR.

I'm only posting a summary of the bad news.

Advertisement