Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

This this is a very measured article. It also links to all the stats

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2020/0310/1121444-10-reasons-not-to-panic-about-the-coronavirus/

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sea swimmer

Has there been any discussion about holiday homes and caravans at Easter and beyond? Is the second home owner or holiday renter welcome? Any advice from anyone or any authority?

I mention Cornwall and Wales as those regions are talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I mention Cornwall and Wales as those regions are talking about it.
    Where's your holiday home?

There is nothing specifically laid out for holiday homes or caravans that im aware of but everyone needs to follow the advice and guidelines given by the government which is well documented all over the place. We havent seen the worse of this yet and i personally wouldnt advise anyone to go on holidays. Might end up being a long stay!

we rent in west Donegal. I have been discussing this with my friends but, honestly, no one had considered the consequence of a large population migration from urban areas to rural locations. There was a lot of, "sure they will be glad to see us", but will they?

Also, silly as it is, loads of visitors keep listening to UK stations, not Highland or RTE, so are quite often not up to date with emergency issues.
    I am just trying to start a conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

we rent in west Donegal. I have been discussing this with my friends but, honestly, no one had considered the consequence of a large population migration from urban areas to rural locations. There was a lot of, "sure they will be glad to see us", but will they?

Also, silly as it is, loads of visitors keep listening to UK stations, not Highland or RTE, so are quite often not up to date with emergency issues.

Where I am located in donegal I am surrounded by alot of holiday homes and mobile homes that will be starting to be used alot now in the run up to Easter.
    I have no problem with people coming into the area ad long as they act responsible and keep to the guidelines the government is telling us to use.
    Looking at Italy's latest death count for 24 hours, I would certainly support a lock down sooner rather than later if we keep increasing our infected count

Its great to see that you are very aware of the potential problems. A large convergence of people into an area such as a holiday/caravan park isnt what most responsible people would want....I assume. Bear in mind that pubs, clubs, hotels, restaurants, play areas/parks are closed so other than just getting a break away or a walk on the beach there wont be much more to do and thats just for now. It could and possibly will get a lot worse and we need to prepare ourselves for a potential lock down the same as Italy, France, Spain etc.

Im certainly not trying to advise you one way or the other but here are the possible scenarios:

1. You come for your holiday and are in great health and you go home the same way.

2. You come carrying the virus (unknown to yourself) and you infect whoever else is staying with you and everyone you come in contact with.

3. You arrive healthy and catch the virus here, perhaps from a local or someone else who is also on holidays. You could be hospitalized for several weeks here or maybe you return home and again you arent aware at that stage you have the virus but you proceed to infect everyone you come into contact with.

Apologies for being blunt but there's a lot of people (not saying you) out there who are not doing their bit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Arranmore has specifically requested tourists and holiday home owners to stay the feck away until this is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

kathleen37 wrote: »
    This this is a very measured article. It also links to all the stats

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2020/0310/1121444-10-reasons-not-to-panic-about-the-coronavirus/

It is a good article but is dated March 11th, a long time ago in a fast moving story. Not a mention of Italy where there were about 200 deaths at that time. Today, only 10 days later, there are almost 5,000.

If you want stats https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Technique

Please don't travel to your holiday home. Please encourage anyone you know to not travel to their holiday home. This pandemic has got to be nipped in the bud as soon as possible by people staying at home and not travelling outside of their locality unless absolutely necessary. Donegal does not have the healthcare capacity to deal with an influx of people who may be infected.

Don't take this personally, visitors to Donegal enrich the area during the holiday season and are an important source of revenue for many small family businesses. But let's get through this difficult time first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Yes people should NOT be going to holiday homes, especially in remote areas which are currently less affected - some will inevitably be bringing the virus with them and others (including some of those coming to holiday) will catch it from them. And the more remotes the area, the less hospital capacity they will have.

To be blunt it's a crazy idea, and not just Donegal, it's something that UK regions like Cornwall and Wales have been worrying about too.

Please don't do it. This is a public health crisis, not an excuse for an early holiday.

Thought the comments on social media by Jason black were very true. Some people will just not take heed about staying at home. Some are treating this as a long holiday break. I think if the temperature and weather was to improve it would only make people travelling to holiday homes worse.

This was Portstewart yesterday. With a combination of better weather, longer evenings and people off work, this will be Donegal in the coming weeks.

https://twitter.com/JayneBYoung/status/1241348028847607809?s=20

Technique wrote: »
    This was Portstewart yesterday. With a combination of better weather, longer evenings and people off work, this will be Donegal in the coming weeks.

https://twitter.com/JayneBYoung/status/1241348028847607809?s=20

Maybe some think it's too harsh but I think a lockdown for a couple of weeks now until we get all medical equipment and staff in place would be the right call. Might Also make the social isolating period shorter. Taking Italy as an example I would be all for a couple of weeks of lockdown to try and protect the elderly and vulnerable.

Well, that's Portnoo sorted. The main shop has closed. Very sensible. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know we don't want this to be a general virus thread, but just to show ignorance, I made the mistake of reading comments on an ign article about films affected by the pandemic.
    It basically told them off for using sensationalist headlines like pandemic. They're buying into government scaremongering. It's just a mild flu. I'm sure there are too many here like that as well

Seeing pictures from beaches and other venues in Donegal today and clear to see the warnings from government and the disaster in Italy is not sinking home. Wonder what it's going to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

Have rubbish bin collections stopped? Mine wasn't collected on Friday and it looks like the neighbours bins haven't been collected today.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Pique wrote:
    Have rubbish bin collections stopped? Mine wasn't collected on Friday and it looks like the neighbours bins haven't been collected today.

Whereabouts in the county are you?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Pique wrote: »

My bin was collected on Friday anyway. I'm with DM waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭JoannieG

Ours were collected last Thursday by Sharkey's. We're outside Churchill. Wers collected in this area on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Pique wrote: »

wers picked mine up last friday 20th, just outside donegal town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

Whereabouts in the county are you?

Letterkenny. I'm with Donegal Waste. Neighbours are with Wers.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Pique wrote:
    Letterkenny. I'm with Donegal Waste. Neighbours are with Wers.

Wers picked ours up last week, have another pick up tomorrow so fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

DM collected mine last Wednesday.

Was thinking now would be a good time for all the Irish Water, etc roadworks. It will inconvenience a lot less people and discourage people from going anywhere unless necessary

The reason for bins not being collected can be sorted out with a phone call to the operator so we can leave that now.

We now have 8 confirmed cases in Donegal and thats very worrying as the numbers will multiple.

As most of the coverage was about the large number of cases in Dublin and Cork, it would have been easy to be complacent here in Donegal. These numbers show that it's amongst us, almost certainly in higher numbers than we would guess.

Stay at home folks.

Just heard tighter restrictions are coming, restaurants, cafes and hairdressers to name a few, I thought the biggest majority of these had already closed. Hopefully it will be everyone with no exception unless necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Just heard tighter restrictions are coming, restaurants, cafes and hairdressers to name a few, I thought the biggest majority of these had already closed. Hopefully it will be everyone with no exception unless necessary.

certainly in donegal town i dont think anythings open excetp food stores. dont know about takeways as rarely use them.

got my haircut the thursday before starting working from home so thats a result.

dont know how much more strict we could be donegal hardware for wood pellets for the stove in my office and some hand wipes. 1 trip to supervalu for food . need to do another one this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I see all the caravan parks are closed down dose this include people from the north that have holiday homes here as well

Advertisement