Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

• 25-10-2019 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Seemed light this evening, seeing as there doesn't seem to be a thread on traffic here I said I'd start this due to the importance of the issue.
    Post edited by Gaspode on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's Friday. It's always lighter on Friday, due to short hours in the factories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Got home in record Friday time this afternoon. The factories being closed early never makes a difference on Fridays when you finish at 5. From Ballybrit to Spiddal in 40 minutes. Thank you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,881 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Got home in record Friday time this afternoon. The factories being closed early never makes a difference on Fridays when you finish at 5. From Ballybrit to Spiddal in 40 minutes. Thank you all!
    That's fast. Was it a carbon framed bicycle? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭bobbyss

That seems like a commute from hell. How much time does it take on average?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

bobbyss wrote: »
    That seems like a commute from hell. How much time does it take on average?

Usually 30-35 minutes in the morning and then anywhere from 50-90 minutes depending on the evening traffic.

• Advertisement

Got home in record Friday time this afternoon. The factories being closed early never makes a difference on Fridays when you finish at 5.

It does. You can tell from the carparks: they're all a lot emptier on Fridays, lots of people take leave, or work from home.

If they didn't, then Friday 5pm with everyone going home and visitors coming in to town for the weekend would be really hellish.

Re why more people they take leave on Friday: If your annual leave allowance is 160 hours per year, and taking Friday off only uses 4 hours (due to short hours), you can take 8 Fridays or 4 Mondays. It's a no-brainer. (Actual hours vary between companies, but the principle holds)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

It will be slower in the evening rush hour now because of the dark and the clocks going back. Next Monday evening should be fun with the schools and colleges back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Wombatman wrote: »
    It will be slower in the evening rush hour now because of the dark and the clocks going back. Next Monday evening should be fun with the schools and colleges back :(

All known knowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭motley

It's been terrible all this week. The Bridge has been brutal every day going east.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

motley wrote: »
    It's been terrible all this week. The Bridge has been brutal every day going east.

Midterm break .
    Add in the bad weather .
    Mornings extremely light but unfortunately it gets crazy from around one because the amount of families that decide to go into town .
    It doesn't help when there are the usual road works going on at the wrong time of year .

• Advertisement

It doesn't help when there are the usual road works going on at the wrong time of year .

What time of year should they be doing the roadworks?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheJet

Took me about 50 mins to get from the Galmont Hotel out to the Galway clinic roundabout there( apologies dunno the name of the roundabout)- I have been in Galway the last 10 weeks for work and the traffic is brutal! Thought Dublin was bad....As a poster said here- next week will be fun with the schools/colleges back.....

What time of year should they be doing the roadworks?

All depends what part of the city the road thats been repaired .
    Of course the ones in the city itself are going to have the biggest effect on traffic.
    This week for example carrying out roadworks in the afternoon on bohermore during midterm is a recipe for disaster .
    They could have done the work from 8 am to 1pm and stopped for the rest of the day .

• This week for example carrying out roadworks in the afternoon on bohermore during midterm is a recipe for disaster .

Wait, your "better" time is when the schools are back as opposed to when they are off? The situation would be a heck of a lot worse
    They could have done the work from 8 am to 1pm and stopped for the rest of the day .

They could but they would be still paying for a full day's work, very inefficient and nobody with half a brain would do it like that. Not least because you double the length of time, and the duration of the disruption,of the works.

Road works, by their very nature are disruptive. There is no way they can be completed without causing some kind of disruption to someone.

However, they are a monetary blip in terms of the city traffic issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Whoever approved the traffic flow around the car park at the back of tk maxx should be sacked. Getting in and out of the car park took about 20 minutes each time. Bonkers and not a sinner from the car park or anyone else looked like they gave a crap. A complete free for all in and out, with queues right up the levels of the car park. And as bad when you actually got out, this being the apparent source of the issues

Not even going to try name streets but quite a few in Galway should be one way at the very most.
    Trucks just parked in one lane doing deliveries and everyone trying to shove their way though. Never experienced such nonsense as I did yeaterday. They can put all the ring roads around the town they like but the centre is a mess for traffic flow.

If I see Galway and it's traffic again it will be too soon.

tototoe wrote: »
    Whoever approved the traffic flow around the car park at the back of tk maxx should be sacked. Getting in and out of the car park took about 20 minutes each time. Bonkers and not a sinner from the car park or anyone else looked like they gave a crap. A complete free for all in and out, with queues right up the levels of the car park. And as bad when you actually got out, this being the apparent source of the issues

Not even going to try name streets but quite a few in Galway should be one way at the very most.
    Trucks just parked in one lane doing deliveries and everyone trying to shove their way though. Never experienced such nonsense as I did yeaterday. They can put all the ring roads around the town they like but the centre is a mess for traffic flow.

If I see Galway and it's traffic again it will be too soon.

.....same on merchants road
    Same at st pats school car park on a Saturday
    Yet again city hall proves it couldn't run a village nevermind a modern city.
    I've always said it.... Galway needs to turn most of their city center roads into one way .
    All deliveries along certain roads to be done by 12 in the morning .
    A zero tolerance to vecihcles parked on double yellow lines .
    Put a fine of €100 on every single vecihcle after of course you put up proper signage .
    If anyone is in galway city today .... Take note of all the vecihcles abandoned along foster street / eglinton street .
    This wouldn't be tolerated in any other city .
    Could you imagine doing that in Dublin city .
    Galway is a joke ... A city my Arse .

tototoe wrote: »

It's 10m minutes walk from the bus and train station (if you're a slow walker).

• What time of year should they be doing the roadworks?

During the summer (except raceweek) when schools are off for a few months and traffic is much quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

During the summer (except raceweek) when schools are off for a few months and traffic is much quieter.

Agreed. Nightly roadworks with huge lights are common enough in cities. There's noise but the works can be completed in a few nights instead of a few weeks.

Peak tourist season, you mean. Yeah.

• Advertisement

Peak tourist season, you mean. Yeah.

Still less traffic, works can be carried out efficiently and in a shorter timeframe with clear and uncluttered re-routes.

• How incentives/disincentives can address congestion

Yea or nay, should Galway City look at congestion charges as a way of reducing congestion?

• Most defiantly not. Car owners and drivers already pay for too much to own a car and use the roads, asking them to put more would be absolute insanity and massively unfair. I reckon you would struggle to find a 3 figure number of people in the entire city and county who would even entertain the idea.

Yea or nay, should Galway City look at congestion charges as a way of reducing congestion?

It's a nay from me too, at least for now:

The worst of our congestion problems aren't in the city-centre, where a charge could (with a LOT of tedious admin and cases which fall thru the cracks) be applied in a way that targets non-residents.

Instead, they're in the ring around the city: Galway Clinic / Briarhill / Parkmore / Tuam Rd / Quin Bridge / Barna Road. Any form of congestion charge in these places would not realistically be able to distinguish between those who are using the car because they really have no alternatives, and those who do. Directly penalising the former group isn't fair, because it's not their fault they were allowed to live in places which could not employ them.

We need to actually provide realistic alternatives for people, before we start with the punishment for not using them.

• Yea or nay, should Galway City look at congestion charges as a way of reducing congestion?

Definitely yes from me, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭holly8

Flew out of town this evening ... zipped out headford road and out over bridge westbound. No hold ups anywhere. 6pm There was nothing on the bridge. Tues evening...what gives?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭JoeA3

holly8 wrote: »
    Flew out of town this evening ... zipped out headford road and out over bridge westbound. No hold ups anywhere. 6pm There was nothing on the bridge. Tues evening...what gives?

Same. I had to make a rare trip into Eyre Square before 5pm and it was a breeze, inbound and outbound. I can only think:

- it was an unusually dry bright evening
    - no major roadworks?
    - no accidents?

Any one of the above 3 fall down and it’s chaos.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Same. I had to make a rare trip into Eyre Square before 5pm and it was a breeze, inbound and outbound. I can only think:

- it was an unusually dry bright evening
    - no major roadworks?
    - no accidents?

Any one of the above 3 fall down and it’s chaos.

There have been major road works on Bohermore and Middle Street this week. Not sure what time they finished.

And this is the week when schools where back and people were predicting it would be lots worse than last week. Likely the Fine-by-Friday effect at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

How incentives/disincentives can address congestion

Galway is far too small for a congestion charge. It needs a serious rethink of how traffic flows in and around the city but a congestion charge would achieve little and it's implementation would be expensive. That money would be better spent making changes to the existing road network. One ways, pedestrian streets, decent accurate signage etc. The streets of Galway are too narrow for large volumes of traffic... That's never going to change, so optimise what you have. The traffic flow I see in Galway is just utterly mad and seems to be a complete free for all.

• Advertisement

Most defiantly not. Car owners and drivers already pay for too much to own a car and use the roads, asking them to put more would be absolute insanity and massively unfair. I reckon you would struggle to find a 3 figure number of people in the entire city and county who would even entertain the idea.

Same with the workplace smoking ban, the plastic bag levy, the pedestrianisation of Shop st., segregated cycle lanes etc.... But they were all brilliant ideas that worked very well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement