Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The I need a job done around my House Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Probably not going to be able to use any recommendations for a while, but does anyone know a place that will take out and replace the glass panes in a couple of velux windows? Bonus points if they replace velux blinds also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Euphrates

I'm looking for someone to plaster a bedroom wall and supply and fit a small bit of skirting board. And to set up a retractable clothes line in the back garden. General handyman. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

kiersm wrote: »
    I just had my bathroom redone and the plumber supplied his own tiler. I can PM you his details if you want me to

Any chance of a PM with these details as well please

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

keane2097 wrote: »
    Probably not going to be able to use any recommendations for a while, but does anyone know a place that will take out and replace the glass panes in a couple of velux windows? Bonus points if they replace velux blinds also.

Worth trying Velux directly. Had an incident a few years ago where one of the windows in my house shattered. There was a bad batch out there about 20 years back. Anyway velux replaced all of them for free but they have people on the road doing it. No idea of cost

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

Any recommendations for someone to put in a small concrete base (it's for underneath one of those masonry bbqs).

Could try it myself but the ground is a bit uneven and we're on about possibly paving that part of the garden so might need someone in to do that anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭yogalady

Hi there
    I need some help with my garden. Clearing weeds and tidying up. Someone reasonable and wont break the back. Not big garden

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Any recommendations for companies for sheds would be welcome.

We're looking to get a metal one because we dont want maintenance. The wooden one our house came with is falling to pieces so extra points for suggestions that will also take the existing shed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Any recommendations for companies for sheds would be welcome.

We're looking to get a metal one because we dont want maintenance. The wooden one our house came with is falling to pieces so extra points for suggestions that will also take the existing shed away.

Steeltech, dock road. You will have to pour a concerete base first for a steel shed, then lay the shed on it and then come back and pour the internal floor. This being the biggest negative of going steel over timber.

For timber, just in case, as I got 11 years out of my last one, moved out 1 year ago so assume it's still going strong then Steeltech do the sheds from ObriensTimberproducts, they sell them at the same price anyway so need to go direct.

There's another place in Charleville by the Lidl/Aldi distribution centre. Couldn't tell you if they're open these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

Any recommendations for someone to put in a small concrete base (it's for underneath one of those masonry bbqs).

Could try it myself but the ground is a bit uneven and we're on about possibly paving that part of the garden so might need someone in to do that anyway

This has grown legs - we're paving and putting in a base for a steeltech shed - any recommendations for anyone? We've been talking to Joe Lawlor and Creative Driveways, any comments on either

I didn't think I'd find it so hard to get somebody to fit a replacement back door for me. Some too busy and others just don't even bother answering voicemails/emails/web enquiries(even before the lockdown which is why I'm only getting back to it now)

Anybody help suggesting someone for a new/replacement uPvc back door? Getting the feel that the job is just too small for people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Berty wrote: »
    I didn't think I'd find it so hard to get somebody to fit a replacement back door for me. Some too busy and others just don't even bother answering voicemails/emails/web enquiries(even before the lockdown which is why I'm only getting back to it now)

Anybody help suggesting someone for a new/replacement uPvc back door? Getting the feel that the job is just too small for people.

Parents got one done not so long ago - I can ask who did their one.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Try Kwikfix Windows and Doors in Cappamore. Anthony Cosgrave 087 2286091. I've no personal experience but he does a lot of work around the place and quality is good from what I can see. Also known him to do small jobs in the past such as fit one busted double glazed window for a neighbour. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Mollywolly wrote: »
    Try Kwikfix Windows and Doors in Cappamore. Anthony Cosgrave 087 2286091. I've no personal experience but he does a lot of work around the place and quality is good from what I can see. Also known him to do small jobs in the past such as fit one busted double glazed window for a neighbour. Good luck :)

Would reccomend him. He did a replacement back door for parents and we got him to replace doors, windows and patio doors in our own place after.

Unfortunately this evening boards.ie is returning a 503 error on searching this forum, I threw out a business card for a painter and decorator called "Bart". Anybody know his details?

The painter I went with instead of Bart did 90% of the job, only got paid for 90% of it mind but obviously didn't want to paint a stairs. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Anyone know of any window and gutter cleaners back to work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

kilburn wrote: »
    Anyone know of any window and gutter cleaners back to work

I got an email from one this week to say he's back working - David Fitzmaurice 0831672196

• Registered Users Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭phog

Anyone know a handyman that could cut down a hedge and erect a boundary fence close to Limerick city?

phog wrote: »
    Anyone know a handyman that could cut down a hedge and erect a boundary fence close to Limerick city?

https://www.facebook.com/SimplyWoodBroadford

His number should be on his facebook page even if you're not on facebook you'll be able to view it.

Don't know about the cutting down the hedge piece but sure you could ask him. As per usual with most people it depends on the job.

https://www.facebook.com/SimplyWoodBroadford

His number should be on his facebook page even if you're not on facebook you'll be able to view it.

Don't know about the cutting down the hedge piece but sure you could ask him. As per usual with most people it depends on the job.

Thanks but not really what I'm looking for, I need the guy to cut down the hedge but I'm more interested in pailing posts and chainlink fencing than all timber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Looking for a carpenter experienced with stairs. Need someone to repair/replace two posts that have been damaged and loosened due to forces acting on them from a kid's stair gate (didn't realise that would happen :o).

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Any recommendations for gutter repair and/or cleaning?

I've a leak thats causing a bit of flooding below it. I've a fear of heights and no ladder so a patch job is out of my realm of possibility.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Looks like two previous posters got no bites, so maybe third time's the charm?

Looking for an electrician. Took down a light fitting yesterday and the wiring is a mess and god knows how there hasn't been a fire before...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Tree wrote: »

Looking for an electrician. Took down a light fitting yesterday and the wiring is a mess and god knows how there hasn't been a fire before...

What do you mean by a mess?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

There appear to be three mains cables, some* of them are screwed into them little blocks, some* of them are twisted and bound with white tape (which is now charred). These do not appear to be consistently from the same cable.
    A leak in the upstairs bathroom dribbled into the off light fitting and caused sizzling noises and smoke, despite the switch being off, so RCB time and figure what the hell went wrong.

Can you post a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Tree wrote: »

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Any recommendations for gutter repair and/or cleaning?

I've a leak thats causing a bit of flooding below it. I've a fear of heights and no ladder so a patch job is out of my realm of possibility.

I'm in the same situation! Leaking gutter at rear of my house that needs fixing. Would welcome any recommendations of people who are reliable. Don't like heights either.

Any recommendations on sliding gate for driveway manual not electric

kilburn wrote: »
    Any recommendations on sliding gate for driveway manual not electric

I can't recommend anyone but sliding gates can be lethal if you have young kids, depending on what they're sliding on. Also if heads/limbs can be put through the bars of the gate and get caught on a pier/wall.

• Advertisement

phog wrote:
    I can't recommend anyone but sliding gates can be lethal if you have young kids, depending on what they're sliding on. Also if heads/limbs can be put through the bars of the gate and get caught on a pier/wall.

It's a wider than normal entrance so I am kind of caught if I go standard gates they would come in too far and wouldn't clear cars

Advertisement