Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Addiction?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Media and politics driven decisions don't always make for good policy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Alternatively, perhaps Internet use is simply and more generally a different type of existence, to that offered by the three dimensional, less compliant real world...

Ref: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/mind-change/201504/is-surfing-the-internet-addictive

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

A "fine line between enjoyment and addiction", but where does personal responsibility come into it?

If playing to many games starts to impact on ones life, who is to blame?

Link:https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/lifestyle/features/highs-and-lows-of-gaming-a-fine-line-between-enjoyment-and-addiction-860642.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Fathom wrote: »
    New research based definitions of addiction and responsibility during a rapidly changing technological evolution?

It appears to have entered the entertainment industry...
    Russell Kane has said he is having counselling for internet addiction.

The comedian said he is no longer in control of how he uses his phone so has sought help.

Speaking on his Joe.co.uk podcast, Boys Don’t Cry with Russell Kane, he said: “I’ll throw something out there. I’ve had six counselling sessions for internet addiction. Six, because it’s affecting my life.

Link: https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/russell-kane-ive-had-counselling-sessions-for-internet-addiction-858240.html

mzungu wrote: »
    It appears to have entered the entertainment industry...
    When you said entertainment, the first thing that popped into my mind was something humourous like a skit by Trevor Noah, or Stephen Colbert, or Seth Meyers. Rereading your quote I now see it was a more serious concern for Internet addiction.

• Advertisement

Black Swan wrote: »
    When you said entertainment, the first thing that popped into my mind was something humourous like a skit by Trevor Noah, or Stephen Colbert, or Seth Meyers. Rereading your quote I now see it was a more serious concern for Internet addiction.
    I was thinking more that when things like this become tabloid fodder it merely becomes just another point of gossip to sell magazines and whatnot. No disrespect to the comedian I mentioned in my post above, he obviously has some psychological issue that needs to be attended to. I am not sure that internet addiction becoming an addiction du jour to flog papers will further understanding about it.
    Few diagnostic tools exist that measure Internet addiction with reliability and validity. A factorial study of the Young Internet Addiction Test (IAT) online version suggested two factors that explained 91% of the total variance: dependent use and excessive use. The sample was purposive and small (n=215). More studies should be conducted.

Reference: Lauren A. Jelenchickab, Tara Beckerc, and Megan A. Morenoa, Assessing the psychometric properties of the Internet Addiction Test (IAT) in US college students, Psychiatry Research, Volume 196, Issues 2–3, 30 April 2012, Pages 296-301.
    Would you say study also across multiple countries/cultures too is in order to spot any recurring traits that occur with all groupings?

I was thinking more that when things like this become tabloid fodder it merely becomes just another point of gossip to sell magazines and whatnot.
    Unfortunately the red tops profit, while the literature does not.

Sensationalized Internet addiction content. Ratings and sales attract advertisers. Advertisers provide profit. Ethics of journalism of small consequence.

It's all about the money now. There is good journalism out there, however it gets weighed under with a lot of the sub-standard stuff. Essentially, they (legacy media) are still grappling with the digital age!

One wonders, is online gaming addiction different to say, a social media addiction? Or a general browsing addiction? Does everything internet related come under the umbrella?

I've seen both online gaming addiction and Internet addiction citations in the scholarly literature, often separated by topic. One would think that they may be treated differently, although I am uncertain that the marginal notes in DSM V make a difference evident.

• Advertisement

I've seen both online gaming addiction and Internet addiction citations in the scholarly literature, often separated by topic. One would think that they may be treated differently, although I am uncertain that the marginal notes in DSM V make a difference evident.
    Brian D. Ng and Peter Wiemer-Hastings (June 2005), Addiction to the Internet and Online Gaming, CyberPsychology & BehaviorVol. 8, No. 2.
    The Net Addiction states that the types of net addiction are "related to Internet gambling, shopping, eBay, or to gaming in general can be explained using the ACE Model, developed in the late 90s to describe the variables that make online use addictive".

Accessibility - Prior to the net, one had to travel to gamble, now the only travelling you have to do is the walk to wherever in your house the computer is.

Control - People now have personal control over their online activities and the compulsive behaviour can be hidden quite easily.

Excitement - A rush that comes with winning, or thinking you might (the house always wins remember).

The Center for Internet Addiction? CBT-IA? Digital Detox? Should caution be used regarding this site?

There are daily addiction advertisements on the telly, but they deal with drugs and alcohol, not Internet addiction. Makes me wonder when they will add the latest item to the addiction list?

The Center for Internet Addiction? CBT-IA? Digital Detox? Should caution be used regarding this site?
    Most of the stuff on the site is fairly run of the mill for this kind of thing. I wouldn't treat it as being definitive, but rather one voice in the discussion kind of thing...even if that voice is wide of the mark!

Digital detox? Interesting concept.

Back to landlines and teletext! :D

There are daily addiction advertisements on the telly, but they deal with drugs and alcohol, not Internet addiction. Makes me wonder when they will add the latest item to the addiction list?

These things usually need something to bring them into the mainstream, or at least get the mainstream talking about it. It will most likely be some celeb that popularises it.

These things usually need something to bring them into the mainstream, or at least get the mainstream talking about it. It will most likely be some celeb that popularises it.
    Indeed. If past news media practices predict future, some celebrity or their child will have Internet addiction problems, and all of sudden it will be the rage to talk about.

Indeed. If past news media practices predict future, some celebrity or their child will have Internet addiction problems, and all of sudden it will be the rage to talk about.
    Anecdotal media sensationalized case study level examples rule.
    The interesting thing to note will be, does the internet get blamed for it? Eg. Rock music was blamed for social ills in the 80s and computer games were blamed in the 90s. IIRC both of them got the blame in the naughties. Will internet addiction be used as convenient fall guy for the social ills of the 2020s etc?

case study level
    Obviously very little empirical value.

What if longitudinal? Like medical cases. Or frequent small samples analyzed by SPC?

Might be the best way to go from here I would say. At this early stage, there are bound to be some big changes to theories of internet addiction as it becomes studied more.

• Advertisement

Wallace's Wheel of Science inductive side: data to empirical generalisations to theory (or theory revisions).

Interestingly, the American Psychiatric Association have distanced themselves from 'social media addiction' or 'internet addiction' by not including it as a behavioural disorder in the current Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM). Instead they have it listed as a 'condition for further study.' They believe at this point it has not been studied enough, and that it rests largely on anecdotal evidence.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/psychiatry/addictions/75194

"Intexticated is a term coined to refer to an individual who is distracted by texting or composing an email on a handheld device while walking or driving, and is therefore unaware of the surroundings."

Saw an auto accident occur in a parking lot earlier this week where "intexticated" was the cause.

Student walked into me. Intexticated.
    Behavior or addiction or both, a ubiquitous social condition.

"Intexticated is a term coined to refer to an individual who is distracted by texting or composing an email on a handheld device while walking or driving, and is therefore unaware of the surroundings."

Saw an auto accident occur in a parking lot earlier this week where "intexticated" was the cause.
    Student walked into me. Intexticated.
    Behavior or addiction or both, a ubiquitous social condition.
    This kind of thing was called 'lack of cop on' back before phones were around! :D

To what extent is Internet addiction a social construction?

I think the construct of internet addiction is undeveloped in academia, making a real world application of what it means to be addicted to the internet highly problematic. Without a sufficient theoretical base on which to draw out an applicable concept, it leaves one thinking that the boundaries between academic internet addiction and real world internet addiction being two works in progress. I say that because the addictive behaviours themselves may be a personality trait, and to draw a conclusion or even a reasonably informed guess at this stage is nigh on impossible.

As to whether it is a social construct, there could be an argument made there alright. However, as noted above, at this point I would want a few more conclusive studies to enter into the public sphere and for those to be backed up my medical professionals on the ground.

I think the construct of internet addiction is undeveloped in academia, making a real world application of what it means to be addicted to the internet highly problematic. Without a sufficient theoretical base on which to draw out an applicable concept, it leaves one thinking that the boundaries between academic internet addiction and real world internet addiction being two works in progress.
    Excellent observation mzungu. Certainly an opportunity for researchers to investigate with rigour this problem and publish results for peer review.

Research problem with potential. And a future.
    Find RFP and reply? Try NIH or NSF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭aluminium

As I said to a friend recently, you know you have too much time on your hands when you run out of things to look at on the internet.

Advertisement