Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New to Co. Donegal or Thinking of Moving Here? Post In This Thread.

• 16-08-2010 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

[Mod]Greetings!

Now thats out of the way, please use this thread for questions about moving to Letterkenny/Donegal. There are a number of threads in recent times so I have moved them to this one. Hopefully this will answer most of the questions you might have but if not feel free to ask here if it isnt.

You can also find more info here on a guide to Donegal that was created by our fantastic, wonderful talented, ex mod of here.

I have combined a number of threads from a few years in order to get the most information in one so excuse some of the older posts but a lot of them still hold true.

[/mod]
    Original post below...

Ok so I'm looking to move, but I want to stay in the letterkenny area. I'm looking for somewhere thats easy to get out of in the mornings and is around the 100e a week mark. I will be driving by the time I move so I can go out of the town a wee bit. No further than the mountain top say, I might consider manor tho.

I'm already looking in the dealer and on daft.ie, and those cards in Tesco but all I see are the apartments at lower main st, which I lived in for a while, and I'd rather not go there, again.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Franklins.ie and most of the other estate agents do lettings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Moonfruit wrote: »
    Did you get a place yet?
    I went to look at a place but I'm still open to suggestions. I'm not sure of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Buttercup18

what area did you look in that your not sure of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

what area did you look in that your not sure of?
    Ballymcool. I've heard some bad things about there, but also some good things. Its the older estate near the pub specifically so I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

moveing up for collage next week, wondering does anyone know anything about the manor view or hazelbrook estates, mite be getting a house there, i know there a 20 min walk from the col. juat wondering if anyone knows what the areas like, good or bad??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

Hi There,
    Manorview is an alright estate. Loads of families living there, no students there at the minute. Its at the top of a very steep hill so if your walking home from college its a long way up, the walk down is grand.
    Hazelbrook looks a bit rougher. It is just below manorview so you are still faced with the hill, in saying that though letterkenny is a hilly town.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

Bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

not sure about them areas, but Gortlee is a nice area, and very conveient for the college, about a 5 to 15 minute walk depending on which part your in. Several different estates and cul de sacs, a local store, bar and takeaway. Add on another 5 minute walk for tescos shopping centre and bus station.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Manor View is nice but situated at the top of the aptly named Long Lane. About a 25 - 30 minute walk to the college. As mentioned gortlee is quite good, as are the Whitethorn (think that's the name) Estates close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

fontanalis wrote: »
    Manor View is nice but situated at the top of the aptly named Long Lane. About a 25 - 30 minute walk to the college. As mentioned gortlee is quite good, as are the Whitethorn (think that's the name) Estates close by.

Beinn Aoibheann (pronounced Ben Aven) is beside Whitethorn too. Worth considering that also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Pique wrote: »
    Beinn Aoibheann (pronounced Ben Aven) is beside Whitethorn too. Worth considering that also.

are they considered part of gortlee, including cul braccan, cul doire, ashlawn and sylvan park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 thriftyjack

just my opinion, lived in that area years ago, i would say dont bother, too far away and not great area (sorry, no offence meant) try ashlawn, beinn aoibhinn which r across road from college or ballyraine student apartments, which is 5 mins walk away. good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

This map will give you an idea of where estates are in relation to the college.

http://www.johnthemap.co.uk/pages/donegal/let_east.html

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭pARTner81

lankz92 wrote: »
    moveing up for collage next week, wondering does anyone know anything about the manor view or hazelbrook estates, mite be getting a house there, i know there a 20 min walk from the col. juat wondering if anyone knows what the areas like, good or bad??

Them areas are up the long lane. My advice would be to move somewhere in the gortlee area if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Tehy wouldnt be great areas. Like alot of others have said, you should try the Gortlee areas. There is also student accomodation in the Ballyraine area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I'm pretty sure the OP has found accomodation by this stage considering college started 4 days ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭pARTner81

Harps wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the OP has found accomodation by this stage considering college started 4 days ago...

yeah i thought about that myself, but it might help someone else.

what are they like?, moving up for college in a couple of weeks, and im going to view a place there next week

just wondering if the areas safe and if anyone knows wat the houses are like?

Knew a girl that live in one of those for years, it seemed a quiet area at night even thought its so central, not sure how much noise you would hear from the orchard. As for safely, it would probably be the same as any area in the town, not particularly bad, but i wouldn't be leaving windows or doors open at night.

thanks for the info, sounds like it would suit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Pretty good location as well, in the town centre and only a 5-10 minute walk to college. Dont know where Orchard Crescent is exactly but judging by the name its near the Orchard Inn which is a perfectly fine area as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Used to live just up the road from there a few years back, dead on area, very handy if you don't have a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Do you mean sprackburn? Never heard of orchard crescent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Sprackburn is the estate down the side of the credit union yep...

Google maps says orchard cresent is in ballyraine, which is where i think the OP is talking about. Aint a clue what they are link.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=orchard+cresent&hl=en&ll=54.952879,-7.710085&spn=0.008194,0.026157&sll=54.953864,-7.72459&sspn=0.032776,0.104628&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=16

the guy told me he'd meet me at the cred union befor viewing, so i would assume its sprackburn,

the orchard crescent apartments are just up high road a tiny bit,

Yeah Sprackburn is a nice quiet area and very central and within walking distance of virtually everything in the town, eg IT, hospital, main street, shopping centre etc etc

Sprackburn is the estate down the side of the credit union yep...

Google maps says orchard cresent is in ballyraine, which is where i think the OP is talking about. Aint a clue what they are link.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=orchard+cresent&hl=en&ll=54.952879,-7.710085&spn=0.008194,0.026157&sll=54.953864,-7.72459&sspn=0.032776,0.104628&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=16

Thats Orchard Grove ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

When you're turning down towards the old swimming pool, you go down the road on the right instead, beside the boxing club. That's Orchard Cresent.

I was referring to sprackburn in my earlier post. Wouldn't be as sure about the apartments beside the swimming pool. There used to be plenty of traffic (walking) drunk people using that as a short cut to the grill. Used to be a hangout for "knacker drinking" at those steps and around the old swimming pool in general.
    I could be wrong, haven't be around there in ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I know people stayed in them apartments 4 years ago and they were fine as long as you don't mind loud music from Milan on Wednesday nights, if its even still open??

Advertisement