Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Yes, a paeony - very nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Not a tree peony is it? Lidl have sold a lot of them.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭standardg60

Not a tree peony is it? Lidl have sold a lot of them.

Second that, looks like a suffruticosa variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whats this?.....

shrub2.jpg

Chaenomeles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭highdef

happyday wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/mar/09/spray-pray-is-roundup-carcinogenic-monsanto-farmers-suing

Please think twice before using Roundup. It does so much damage to the environment and ecosystems - not to mention the danger to your own health.

I use weedkiller in places that require it such as weeds that can get out of control unless completely eradicated on on the driveway where I can't use a blowtorch. Where I spray has no runoff to local waterways. I'm not fond of the stuff but it does what needs to be done.

Garden is thriving with bees and butterflies so it can't be too bad, on the whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭highdef

highdef wrote: »
    I have a patch of this on a south facing embankment in my back garden and have been leaving it as I thought it looked pretty but I shall be treating it to a meal of Roundup soon after reading this!!!

On closer inspection, it looks to be mallow so I shall be leaving it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

fryup wrote: »
    whats this?.....

shrub2.jpg

That's so funny, I just came on here to post a picture of that same plant. Thank you for saving me the trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Common name is quince. Lovely plant.

wildwillow wrote: »
    Common name is quince. Lovely plant.

Japanese quince, so its not confused with the fruit tree quince.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Japanese quince, so its not confused with the fruit tree quince.

The fruit are edible though - well cookable!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

Hi Folks,

Lovely smell in the garden this morning of very faint perfume. Living next door to folks and a back entrance joining us I eventually tracked down the smell to the attached pics. Weirdly the smell appears to get less the closer you get to the plant.

The plant itself is about 12 foot high at moment. No idea what it is.

Eventhough the flowers appear dark purple in the pics they are actually red when sun hits them. All help appreciated.

Also, when its identified is it possible to take a slip from it and grow in my own garden.

Easy one (I hope) Pittosporum tenuifolium - doesn't always flower that well so might be a particular variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Pittosporum tenuifolium. An attractive shrub even without the flowers. I have seen articles saying that they rarely flower, but I had one that flowered every year, and as you say, a faint but appealing scent - mine was a variegated version.

You can take cuttings in the late summer/early autumn, using 'half ripe' cuttings - this year's growth. On the other hand they are not expensive shrubs and easily found. A slip from one that reliably flowers might be a better bet though, I am not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I have some and they self seed profusely - you might find a few strays around, especially under the tree, but if you want a quicker result I'd agree with looksee - head for a garden centre and buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

lottpaul wrote: »
    I have some and they self seed profusely - you might find a few strays around, especially under the tree, but if you want a quicker result I'd agree with looksee - head for a garden centre and buy one.

Great info folks, many thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

Hello, could anyone identify this plant please?
    I got a few slips a few years ago and it's lovely. Have given cuttings to friends and they love it too. Thank you.

Carpobrotus edulis.

south african
    sometimes called ice plant, ice fig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

Thanks so much. Can tell my friends now. Looking forward to it blooming in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Hello, could anyone identify this plant please?
    I got a few slips a few years ago and it's lovely. Have given cuttings to friends and they love it too. Thank you.
    That’s very exotic looking...would love to get one :)

• Advertisement

What is this, some kind of vibernum?

The leaves (light green, papery) look different to a guelder rose (and anyway it's roo early for guelder flowers, I think). It's from a shrub about 7' tall , producing very fragrant globular blooms about 5 inches in diameter, that's been planted on the edge of the wood. Would like to research how to manage it, or maybe I should leave it alone — it has been ignored for years.

Thanks in advance

Sort of Viburnum plicatum to me but I can't convince myself, annoyed as I've grown one with exactly the same flowers but can't remember exactly what it was?

Might be a viburnum burkwoodii as is is very fragrant. All viburnum are fairly hardy and do fine left to their own devices. You can prune, if necessary.

wildwillow wrote: »
    Might be a viburnum burkwoodii as is is very fragrant. All viburnum are fairly hardy and do fine left to their own devices. You can prune, if necessary.

Thats the one I was thinking of.

Possibly carlcephalum too

Possibly carlcephalum too

Ah, yes, i'm pretty certain this is it.

http://classes.hortla.wsu.edu/hort231/List02/VibSpp.html

http://classes.hortla.wsu.edu/hort231/List02/VibxCarl.html

The burkwoodi sounds almost exactly right, but its leaves are described by the RHS as glossy and dark green. Whereas the leaves on our shrubs are distinctively papery and have no gloss at all, which corresponds to the appearance of the carlcephalum, which is apparently also very fragrant. I can currently smell these from across the room.

Thanks everyone. Was only really seeking confirmation that it was a vibernum, so this extra info is great to know

Glad you're sorted. I love scented plants and must that on my wish list. One learns a great deal from this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

Could anyone tell me what this plant is called please? Maybe photinia something something?

Generically I call the Photinia "Red Robin" but there are a good few other varieties Photinia with different sizes and shades of red leaves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

Generically I call the Photinia "Red Robin" but there are a good few other varieties Photinia with different sizes and shades of red leaves.

My neighbour has a red robin hedge and I saw the similarities between them but mine has definitely a lighter, more faded set of leaves on it. The bumblees love crawling through the white blossoms, which I love to see. I'd love to grow more.

Is it too early to take cuttings?

Advertisement