Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is petrol so dear in D15?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Caranica wrote: »
    I got petrol near the Red Cow last Friday for 1.37, D15 is 1.45-1.48 from what I can see. Need to fill up again, think I'll go home via Mount Brown tonight

Try GO on the Kylemore Road opposite the Sheldon Park Hotel. The prices are always very competitive.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Agree with the others on this thread that think that a cartel of service stations seem to be keeping D15 full prices higher than they should be.

Myself, I usually go down to the Circle K in Kilmainham or the Applegreen on Usher’s Quay to fill my tank. Dublin 15 could really do with a Tesco service station along with a proper, big Tesco store.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tesco will match local pricing and aren't particularly competitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

L1011 wrote: »

They were at the beginning but soon fell in line with the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

What I don't understand is in my local town on a straight road there are 3 petrol stations very close to each other. They are basically beside each other. One is always 2 or 3 cent cheaper than the others. Yet people go to the other 2. Surely you would go to the cheaper one? I know it's only a few cents but still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

L1011 wrote: »

Last time I got petrol (few weeks ago) Tesco Maynooth was 8c more expensive than Applegreen in Celbridge. I haven't been in Dundrum in a while but for some reason Tesco there was always 5c cheaper than Maynooth.

In D15 regularly, and agree that petrol is suspiciously expensive there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

zeebre12 wrote: »
    What I don't understand is in my local town on a straight road there are 3 petrol stations very close to each other. They are basically beside each other. One is always 2 or 3 cent cheaper than the others. Yet people go to the other 2. Surely you would go to the cheaper one? I know it's only a few cents but still.

Usually people who do that went to school with the owner/know his brother/married to owner's cousin/don't like the lad that owns the cheaper one etc.

I came across this article in a Wexford Newspaper this morning it's about fuel prices.
    It just goes to prove how much we on Dublin 15 are been ripped off by the various fuel companies.

At the time of writing (March 10th), the fuel prices on offer in Bunclody are:

Apple Green – Petrol 132.8, Diesel 122.8
    Texaco – Petrol 132.9, Diesel 122.9
    Campus – Petrol 134.9, Diesel 123.9

https://wexfordtoday.com/2020/03/10/the-cheapest-place-to-fill-up-in-co-wexford/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I know its not D15 but if anyone is in Ratoath the Circle K on the Fairyhouse Road was 138.9 for Petrol and 126.9 for Diesel (not 100% on diesel as was buying Petrol )

Despite the recent reductions, I still note D15 has the dearest Diesel around at €123.8 per litre, Circle K Coolmine and Apple Green Clonsilla.
    Just down the road in Ratoath, Diesel varies between €119.9 Fairyhouse and €122.9, Kings Gala Circle K and TOP Coolquay, Ashbourne Rd.
    I know it’s only marginal, however it underlines my belief that there is a cartel in operation in the D15 area fixing the price of fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Honestly I think its because petrol stations are thin on the ground and its such a residential area, the market will decide. The prices aren't identical enough to be a cartel, its just the type of local price disparity you get around the Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Honestly I think its because petrol stations are thin on the ground and its such a residential area, the market will decide. The prices aren't identical enough to be a cartel, its just the type of local price disparity you get around the Country.

Thin on the ground? There are 10 off the top of my head in the d15 area.

So can I, but Dublin 15 must be 80+ square kilometers with a population of 200,000, the petrol stations are well spread out, except around Mulhuddart or up at the back of the business parks in Ballycoolin. They've more than enough trade each not to need to be cutthroat with the prices.

Personally every 2 or 3 weeks if I happen to be in town off peak I go to the station at Ushers Island on the Quays, no matter whether prices are high or low generally I've never seen it beaten on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I don't know how fuel isn't down to a euro a litre at this stage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't know how fuel isn't down to a euro a litre at this stage.

Because oil needs to be in single dollars a barrel for that, if ever

For petrol, duty, carbon tax, NORA levy + VAT on the lot is ~76c before anything else

That would give 19c a litre for the actual petrol including all distribution and sales costs.

For diesel its in the low 30s.

So can I, but Dublin 15 must be 80+ square kilometers with a population of 200,000, the petrol stations are well spread out, except around Mulhuddart or up at the back of the business parks in Ballycoolin. They've more than enough trade each not to need to be cutthroat with the prices.

Personally every 2 or 3 weeks if I happen to be in town off peak I go to the station at Ushers Island on the Quays, no matter whether prices are high or low generally I've never seen it beaten on price.

Ushers Island is easily beaten on price.
    EMO Oil at Mount Brown, opposite St James Hospital, consistently the cheapest Petrol and Diesel for many years. Go, opposite the Sheldon Park Hotel on Kylemore Rd, regularly beats Ushers Island.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    EMO Oil at Mount Brown, opposite St James Hospital, consistently the cheapest Petrol and Diesel for many years. Go, opposite the Sheldon Park Hotel on Kylemore Rd, regularly beats Ushers Island.

Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Pat Dunne wrote: »

And how many times has the place been closed by authorities, I can recall at least twice in the last few years, and I don’t pass it too often anymore.

For clarity, it was the emo mount brown that I was referring to, not ushers island place.

Place near Harold’s cross is usually cheap too.

And how many times has the place been closed by authorities, I can recall at least twice in the last few years, and I don’t pass it too often anymore.

For clarity, it was the emo mount brown that I was referring to, not ushers island place.

I honestly do not understand your post.

https://www.joe.ie/uncategorized/dublin-petrol-station-fined-e14k-for-overcharging-customers-29172

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/oil-firm-critical-of-petrol-station-s-prices-1.992564

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Always be careful what you say as if you don't educate yourself to the correct information, you can be caught for defamation.

It is true that a fuel station in mount brown that traded there for a few years was closed and convicted of tax evasion. That was in 2011/2012.

The people who ran the station then (it did not have a brand over the canopy) closed down and have nothing whatsoever to do with the current station.

The station that is there now is an EMO Oil branded station and operates to the highest standards. It is owned by the Cox family who operate Cox's wholesale in Newbridge amongst other businesses and would be considered a first class business operator.

Btw, they also operate the Go Station on Kylemore road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

I was going to fill up with petrol earlier today and went to Applegreen on the Clonsilla Rd. They were charging €147.80 per for petrol.
    Later I passed the Circle K in Mulhuddart. They were charging an eye watering €149.80 per Lr.
    Annoyed, I headed off to Tesco Clearwater Finglas where I paid €141.90 per Lr.
    Lads, we're being ridden sideways (as Mrs Doyle said) by these massively profitable cartels operating in the Dublin 15 area.

I buy Diesel. Yesterday I price checked the M3 Services and Circle K in Mulhuddart which displayed 140.5 or so, I then saw it at the Circle K city bound by the Navan Road Parkway for 136.9, so I bought it there.

Theres really no cartel. Yes, they do mark each other locally, but wholesale oil prices have climbed for a number of well documented reasons and its the same all over the Country. Just do your research.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Murt10 wrote: »
    I was going to fill up with petrol earlier today and went to Applegreen on the Clonsilla Rd. They were charging €147.80 per for petrol.
    Later I passed the Circle K in Mulhuddart. They were charging an eye watering €149.80 per Lr.
    Annoyed, I headed off to Tesco Clearwater Finglas where I paid €141.90 per Lr.
    Lads, we're being ridden sideways (as Mrs Doyle said) by these massively profitable cartels operating in the Dublin 15 area.

I think you were ridden more sideways than anyone else if you were paying over €140 per litre. The rest of us just pay a bit over €1.40 per litre!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I buy Diesel. Yesterday I price checked the M3 Services and Circle K in Mulhuddart which displayed 140.5 or so, I then saw it at the Circle K city bound by the Navan Road Parkway for 136.9, so I bought it there.

Theres really no cartel. Yes, they do mark each other locally, but wholesale oil prices have climbed for a number of well documented reasons and its the same all over the Country. Just do your research.

I filled up on diesel outside of D15 recently for 10 cent a litre cheaper. D15 and Lucan is a cartel.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I filled up on diesel outside of D15 recently for 10 cent a litre cheaper. D15 and Lucan is a cartel.

You have that freedom, which proves there isn't a cartel.

If people stop accepting the local prices and buy elsewhere, they'll get the message. Very hard to create a cartel when your market can shrug and go somewhere else. Chancers, yes. Cartel, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If you do a search on here you'll find a thread I previously started on this matter with more replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Gate Automation

Most of people don't care about price difference, why wasting time to go to tesco Clearwater to save 5 € :)

Most of people don't care about price difference, why wasting time to go to tesco Clearwater to save 5 € :)

The fuel is poxy too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Caranica wrote: »
    If you do a search on here you'll find a thread I previously started on this matter with more replies.

Threads merged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

could it be something to do with the cost of transporting the fuel?

isn't there a fuel pipe that runs from the docks to the airport or something.

maybe thats got something to do with it.

Advertisement