Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dealz

• 27-09-2011 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭swampy353

Just heard on the news that Dealz has opened, they are in the westend in blanchardstown, saw into the shop over the weekend and it looks huge. May have to take a trip over later today

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

is that the one owned by Poundland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0927/1224304799819.html
    Discount Poundland stores open today as Dealz

UK DISCOUNT retailer Poundland will open its first two stores in the Republic today at Blanchardstown and in Portlaoise, creating 70 new jobs.

Using the brand name Dealz, the retailer will offer branded and non-branded food, toiletries, stationery and everyday household items at a single price point of €1.49.

Poundland, which is majority owned by private equity group Warburg Pincus, has more than 350 stores in the UK and sells everything for £1. It has about 20 stores in Northern Ireland.

The company will open a 7,000 sq ft store in the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre and a 6,000sq ft shop in Portlaoise.

It has signed deals with local suppliers including Barry’s Tea, Largo Foods (Tayto crisps), Dale Farm, Ballygarvey eggs and Comerford Cakes, Freshways (a chilled foods arm of Kerry Group) and biscuit maker Jacob Fruitfield.

Poundland’s British stores stock a large variety of well-known brands, including Colgate, Heinz, Kellogg’s, Flora, Disney, Coca-Cola, Kit Kat, Kodak, Domestos and Weight Watchers.

Poundland chief executive Jim McCarthy will attend the opening in Blanchardstown along with Leonard Brassel, who has been hired from Irish retailer Heatons to run the retail operation here.

Poundland intends to open an additional four stores in Ireland by the end of next March as part of an initial €2 million investment here.

In August, The Irish Times revealed that Poundland was set to enter the Irish market. Mr McCarthy expressed the hope that up to 50 Dealz stores would open here in the coming years.

Founded in 1990, Poundland is the biggest single-price discount retailer in Europe. Latest accounts show that Poundland Ltd made a pre-tax profit of £23.4 million on turnover of £509 million in the year to the end of March 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

last time I checked a pound sterling was about 1.20 euro ...

will they take a pound sterling rather than 1.49 in store I wonder :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ Moses Future Tan

will they take a pound sterling rather than 1.49 in I wonder :-)

They could have charged €2 and the stuff would still be cheap, id imagine their costs are alot more than Uk stores, but hopefully their margins are a little better than UK and they decide to send all their best stuff over here first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Staplor

I went in today for a nose, everything was 1.49, Barrys Tea 40 bags 1.49, maybe not a sensational deal but at least it's a good name. It looks ok, but was very busy. I'll defo have a look in there again. It's just a big pound shop really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭recyclebin

where is the one in portlaoise located?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

hence the rebranding from Poundland to Dealz...

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭swampy353

Was in there this afternoon and iit does have a fair amount of decent(ish) stuff. It seems quite good for electonics and batteries. They have HDMI cables, scart splitters, iphone cases, ipad stands & screen protectors

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Do they have the UK stock albeit at Irish prices? Stuff like Toblerone bars, 3pack Crunchies etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭swampy353

snubbleste wrote: »
    Do they have the UK stock albeit at Irish prices? Stuff like Toblerone bars, 3pack Crunchies etc.
    Saw toblerones there, no sure bout crunchies but would guess yes as there kept going on about Irish brands like barrys and cadbury

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Have a look at http://www.poundland.co.uk/product-range/ and see if that's the type of stock they had in. I don't live near either store but I do love Poundland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

The stuff on the website is exactly the type stuff in shop but some in Irish brands like bread was Brennans Bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Brennans Bread.

Yesterdays bread tomorrow.

Every time you buy Brennans bread you have to go rooting round at the back or on the lower shelves to get fresh bread. I usually find that there are 3 days bread on the shelf.

When I buy a pan I want the freshest one possible not one that is going to be out of date tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nodnod

Just munching here on my 170g toblerone from dealz and the items are similar to poundland.co.uk where all items are £1 but we here in the south have to pay 1.49 so converting items to sterling to euro from www.xe.com

£1 = euro 1.15 but we are paying 35cents in the difference so a big markup of approx 22%.

So if you are near the North buy in poundland

Most items were good like coffee , even fresh sandwiches and 4 cans of coke all 1.49 each even films and cds and books

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

recyclebin wrote: »
    where is the one in portlaoise located?

The shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

VAT would make up a 4% difference straight off. Then there is the higher wages etc. I watched a program on pound world a while back. And believe me the way they treated their staff is not tolerated here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

ted1 wrote: »
    VAT would make up a 4% difference straight off. Then there is the higher wages etc. I watched a program on pound world a while back. And believe me the way they treated their staff is not tolerated here.

They increased their standard VAT rate in the UK to 20% from 17.5% last year so the difference is just 1%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭ozmo

Dropped in late yesterday in blanch - not so busy.

Ended up just buying a 1m HDMI cable and an IPad wetsuit type of case for 1.49 each and both seem quite good quality.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

hence the rebranding from Poundland to Dealz...

Though the ones in the ILAC called themselves Euro 50 here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

Took a look in today and it is a fine big shop. Lots of Haloween and Christmas stuff. Pretty good value, although some of the stock is on sale for 99c in the 99c Shop in the Maple Centre. Defo worth a visit

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

Bought a pink umbrella there today for my 8 year old and when she opened it up her finger got caught and nearly sliced through her finger with the force....not impressed.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

collegeme wrote: »
    Bought a pink umbrella there today for my 8 year old and when she opened it up her finger got caught and nearly sliced through her finger with the force....not impressed.:mad:

With yourself, with your daughter, with the umbrella or with the shop?

T-Maxx wrote: »

With yourself, with your daughter, with the umbrella or with the shop?

I think you already know the answer so i don't see the need for your smart ass question.

The steel bit that a finger can get caught in is sharper than a butter knife couple that with the spring action makes it a dangerous product.

If I knew the answer I wouldn't ask now would I?

If you hand a potentially dangerous object to your kid, you as parent are to blame.

T-Maxx wrote: »
    If I knew the answer I wouldn't ask now would I?

If you hand a potentially dangerous object to your kid, you as parent are to blame.

Troll!!
    If an adults/childs finger is sliced off by using an umbrella for the first time, i can assure you that legally it wouldn't be the parents who are liable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Anyone know the opening hours?

Troll!!
    If an adults/childs finger is sliced off by using an umbrella for the first time, i can assure you that legally it wouldn't be the parents who are liable.

Now that's the spirit! Nevermind personal responsibility - let's sue someone!

Now, back on topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Since when is an umbrella a potentially dangerous object hey?, in it's normal use

The products they sell should be fit for their purpose and that's not to take the finger off a child.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

I love this shop! I buy all my toiletry, household and stationary stuff here now and have noticed big savings!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement