Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

vasectomy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I was told 2 samples were required as a minimum, these were included in the overall price & work out @ €30 each. I was told if either came back positive for sperm a third would be required, if that also came back positive they said the actual procedure itself would be carried out again free of charge... for obvious reasons I'd prefer not to have to go through that again so fingers crossed all will be fine when samples are submitted.

Have to say was surprised how long it took me to get back to a stage were I felt fully 'normal' & not sensitive, was easily 5 weeks rather than the 2 originally suggested to me. Then again, we all heal differently I suppose.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

DvB wrote:
    I was told 2 samples were required as a minimum, these were included in the overall price & work out @ €30 each. I was told if either came back positive for sperm a third would be required, if that also came back positive they said the actual procedure itself would be carried out again free of charge... for obvious reasons I'd prefer not to have to go through that again so fingers crossed all will be fine when samples are submitted.

Clane only give option of one at 18 months ....

Got the all clear...woohoooo

Zipppy wrote:
    Got the all clear...woohoooo

If you're debating get the snip...don't debate go get done...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

Zipppy wrote: »
    Clane only give option of one at 18 months ....
    First up congrats on the all clear.

Is 18 months right?
    There seems to be a lot of different opinions on testing depending on the doctor! I cant remember exactly but think i had to wait 6 months to be tested. He wanted 2 tests, 2 weeks apart and both had to be clear. It needed to be 2 "consecutive" negative results. If my frst one was clear but the second one positive id have needed to get tested twice more at least. He wouldn't accept 2 negative tests either side of a positive.

• Advertisement

.red. wrote:
    Is 18 months right? There seems to be a lot of different opinions on testing depending on the doctor! I cant remember exactly but think i had to wait 6 months to be tested. He wanted 2 tests, 2 weeks apart and both had to be clear. It needed to be 2 "consecutive" negative results. If my frst one was clear but the second one positive id have needed to get tested twice more at least. He wouldn't accept 2 negative tests either side of a positive.

Ooops 18 WEEKS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 aomh

Lads, is this still covered on the medical card?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

aomh wrote: »

not in Clane anyway! Not sure if it's accepted elsewhere though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Limited Number yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 aomh

Wife is putting pressure on, we have 3 kids, she doesn't want anymore. Whats a man to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

Wife is putting pressure on, we have 3 kids, she doesn't want anymore. Whats a man to do?

Do you expect to convince her to have more kids or are you going to go along with her wishes because well you're married?
    If the former then don't . If the latter then do. So go sort that out with the love of your life and then get back to us. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Limited Number yup.

Any more information on this?

Interested in getting it done - three kids - wife says it's my time for some groin pain & stitches, don't even know where to start. Do I get a referral from my doctor?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

OU812 wrote: »
    Any more information on this?

Interested in getting it done - three kids - wife says it's my time for some groin pain & stitches, don't even know where to start. Do I get a referral from my doctor?

Its covered in te place in donnybrook on the medical card.
    No need for GP referral.Well there wasn't when I got it done.
    Just a phone call,they send you the info and an application form.
    You also send them off a deposit for the booking which you get back on the day.
    Simple as!!

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Its covered in te place in donnybrook on the medical card.
    No need for GP referral.Well there wasn't when I got it done.
    Just a phone call,they send you the info and an application form.
    You also send them off a deposit for the booking which you get back on the day.
    Simple as!!

Thanks Hellrazer, filed in the booking form online, just have to wait now... (gulp)

Got a cancellation & am going in this week. What do I need to know lads? Am I looking at the weekend in bed? Do I have to shave my balls?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Got a cancellation & am going in this week. What do I need to know lads? Am I looking at the weekend in bed? Do I have to shave my balls?
    No need to shave the balls, I did a quick trim that's all...no need to take to bed ...if you are getting them done on Friday , in front of the tv for the weekend..going by this thread everyone is different ...I had no pain getting them done ...my soreness lasted a bit longer that most it seems but I was back up walking around by the Monday but it took me nearly 3 weeks to get back to jogging and stuff... Mine only went black after I think 5 or 6 days...
    Milk it over the weekend like most of us on here have done...I just used solpadine for the pain but did not need any after day two... Good luck and let us know how you got on ..

nobody told me they go black (welp)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mittimitti

you can be back in the saddle in 5-6 days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

mittimitti wrote: »
    you can be back in the saddle in 5-6 days

Be it at a gentle pace ðŸ‘🻠not everyone's goes purple/black depends on how much tugging the doc has to do ...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

harr wrote: »
    I just used solpadine for the pain but did not need any after day two... Good luck and let us know how you got on ..

Definitely get the codeine based pain killers.
    Best excuse ever when the pharmacist gives you the Spanish inquisition why you need them.

I didn't feel a thing -- He could have been chopping the lot off for all I knew.But the next day it was like I was kicked full force in the balls and that lasted about 2 weeks in my case.But as I said earlier in the thread I went back to work on the Monday and was lifting things around--I probably shouldn't have for another few days at least.Probably prolonged the pain a bit longer than it should have lasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

Itd be worse if you had blue balls lol.
    I had to shave mine.
    Get some decent painkillers like solpadene or nufofen plus. Take them on the way home and keep dosing for a day or two and longer if needed. I had a good bit of swelling and bruising but it looked a lot worse than it was. The pain wasnt too bad but it was very uncomfortable. Buy a hot/cold pack too from the chemist and keep it frozen. I found that helped in the first day or two.
    They will probably tell you to come back if they double in size. Its hard to know what double is when their all bruised and some bit swollen. Take a pic on your phone before you get it done. You can compare sizes then. Sounds a bit wierd takin pics of the boys but i wish id done it as mine went huge and I couldn't tell if they had doubled or not.
    My job is quite physical so I got it done when i had my two week sumer holidays. Im glad i did but probably didnt need the full two weeks.
    Good luck and like another said, milk it for all its worth. You are having open ball surgery after all!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

They might not go black/blue at all. Relax.

Was done earlier. Currently lying in bed catching up on to & wondering if I should start on the six pack I was bought as a get well soon earlier.

Have to fully endorse the Morehampton clinic. Extremely professional & friendly.

Took about 40 minutes all in. Extremely uncomfortable getting the injections but other than feeling the pressure of the various stages, felt nothing else. Currently have a dull pain on the left, but hoping solphadine (& beer later) will take care of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 falseatheist

Does anyone know the ease of getting one without any children and being married at 28?

Got my all clear letter today. Now officially 100% Juice & no seeds.

OU812 wrote:
    Got my all clear letter today. Now officially 100% Juice & no seeds.

good news...now go enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Lads,

What's the scoop on the no-scalpel version of the op? Nearest clinic to me offers that version. Any difference in pain/sensation during the op compared to traditional method? I guess the spray-on anaesthetic must be put on at a fair old whack of pressure to get through to the tubes, so is that bit painful?

Any advice will be gratefully received!

Lads,

What's the scoop on the no-scalpel version of the op? Nearest clinic to me offers that version. Any difference in pain/sensation during the op compared to traditional method? I guess the spray-on anaesthetic must be put on at a fair old whack of pressure to get through to the tubes, so is that bit painful?

Any advice will be gratefully received!

I had mine carried out scalpel free, had minor discomfort at the start (similar to a pinching feeling) but then the procedure went pretty much pain free, the only other thing I really stands out was how quick the whole thing was & the smell from the tubes being cut & sealed (burning smell).

Anaesthetic wasnt sprayed on though, it was a pins(?) technique IIRC which was the pinching sensation I felt at the very start. I'm sure someone else here can describe it better.

Usual discomfort after for a few weeks (unavoidable from what I can gather) but was back running & doing weight training etc. soon after.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

DvB wrote: »
    the smell from the tubes being cut & sealed (burning smell).

Hadn't thought of that aspect! Would it put you off a breakfast roll afterwards? :)

• Advertisement

Hadn't thought of that aspect! Would it put you off a breakfast roll afterwards? :)

Nah, have smelled worse the morning after a night on the guinness :D

Advertisement