Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thieving taximan

• 14-09-2019 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Wife just got taxi home after been out watching the Dubs game. As soon as she stepped in the door she realized she had left her phone in the car. At this stage he had driven off. She rang the phone and it rang out. Went to the find my phone app on the laptop and in that time the guy had switched the phone off. :mad:

She got his name and rang the Gardai. Nothing they could do over the phone, would have to make a report in person, :confused:. So that will be tomorrow as the station doesn't open to the public until 9am.

Just thinking sure there is probably nothing that can be done really, he can just deny everything if approached by the gardai over it? Very annoying. So phone, bank cards and a €50 gone:mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Jumping to conclusions.

Tell your wife to mind her stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jimmy Conway

Do please enlighten me Padre Pio...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Have you proof that the Taxi Driver stole this?

Could have picked up another fare and they pocketed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

There are bad people in most professions unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,815 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Can't you turn on the phone from the find my phone app?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Gardaí can’t take a statement off someone who’s been drinking, that’s why they would’ve asked to call back today. There’s also no guarantee the taxi driver stole her phone. It could’ve been on silent or stuffed down a cushion and he may not have heard it ring, the next date could’ve found it and took it, there’s zero evidence either way. She might get the stuff back, most likely won’t, and it’ll just be a lesson for the future unfortunately. I wouldn’t expect much from the Gardaí because there’s no evidence a crime took place and they’re not in the business of finding people’s phones when they’ve lost them.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭d15ude

She got his name and rang the Gardai. Nothing they could do over the phone, would have to make a report in person, :confused:. So that will be tomorrow

Please don't waste their time.
    Far more important things for them to do.

Sorry that her phone is missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭Polar101

I don't think there's much the Gardai will do about this - it might not have been the taxi driver who took the phone, and maybe the phone wasn't even in the car (could have dropped it earlier, for instance). Unlucky, but I'd say the only way to get the phone back is that if the driver finds it and takes it to lost & found. If he took it, then that's not happening either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,368 ✭✭✭✭listermint

d15ude wrote: »
    Please don't waste their time.
    Far more important things for them to do.

Sorry that her phone is missing.

What a stupid bit of advice.

Report it, it's a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Crime or not do you really think the cops will investigate a lost phone.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »

Report it, it's a crime.

Totally agree. All crime should be reported even if it's just so we have a better idea on how much crime we have & in what areas

Having said that I'd try the Taxi driver / carriage office first in case it was handed in. It might not be a crime at all

• Registered Users Posts: 33,368 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Crime or not do you really think the cops will investigate a lost phone.

It doesn't matter if they do or not. It will be recorded. And it goes into the statistics.

It's what provides resourcing so yes crimes should be reported.

Also if she has phone insurance she will need to .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Does she have location tracking enabled on Google?

Could track it up until it lost power.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

So she left her bag in the car with her phone in it, bank cards and €50?

The thread title is very misleading, your wife left it there, the taxi driver didn't steal it on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭db

Esse85 wrote: »

The thread title is very misleading, your wife left it there, the taxi driver didn't steal it on her.

If he kept it and didn't return it, that's theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Most likely that he picked up another fare and they pocketed the phone .
    Happened to my wife last year .

db wrote: »

Sure you don't know if he did.

Someone could have hopped into the taxi 30 seconds after the wife had departed and took the bag, taxi driver none the wiser.

I've left two phones in a taxi, one i never saw again, and the second I got back after the driver answered.

Moral of the story, don't blame other people when you f*ck up.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Joe Kane

It doesn't matter if they do or not. It will be recorded. And it goes into the statistics.

Would it?

Those statistics are known to be doctored too.

Personally as someone who has lost all trust & confidence in the Gardai I wouldn't bother with them at all. I'd just take my loss & move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

She might have had a case on the phone with space for bank cards and a bit of cash rather than her handbag being left behind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭colm_c

One night I left my phone in a taxi, didn't even realise until the next day when my flatmate woke me up with, there's a taximan on the phone.

He rang some of my friends to locate me.

Got the phone back that afternoon, offered him 20 euro for his honesty, wouldn't take it.

What a legend.

OP, I wouldn't be jumping to conclusions until you have all the info, most taximen are sound, but there are a handful that give others a bad name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Check your local Garda Station. The taxi man could have dropped it there.

db wrote:

Some posters have him tried & convicted when there are many possibilities. It's at least as likely that the next passenger pocketed it as the taxi driver took it.

Personally I'd like to see the thread titled changed to something more factual like "my wife left her phone in a taxi"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Report it, it's a crime.

Is leaving one's phone behind in a taxi a crime?

Because that's the only thing that we know for certain happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jimmy Conway

Never said she left her bag in the car, the phone bank cards & the €50 were in the phone cover which fell out of her pocket. She has her bag BTW. When I rang the phone the car would of been no more than 100 meters away, she realized that quickly it was missing. The phone rang and went to VM. By the time I booted up the laptop and logged into find the phone app, say 2 minutes would be reasonable, the phone was offline in the app. The battery didn't die before you suggest that.

How do I know this? Because now the phone is back online this morning.
    Yes she left the phone in the car...by accident not on purpose.Once the phone rang it was knocked off. Not exactly going out of his way to return it when he was literally at top of the road? So lets just say he wasn't very honest.......:rolleyes:

Could someone have jumped into the car straight away? Perhaps, but unlikely, this is a residential estate not a busy main road where there would be a higher chance of someone flagging him down.

Oh and one last thing, in her conversation with him he mentioned he was originally from X but now living in Y. Where's the phone showing up now? Answers on a postcard please....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Masala

colm_c wrote: »
    One night I left my phone in a taxi, didn't even realise until the next day when my flatmate woke me up with, there's a taximan on the phone.

He rang some of my friends to locate me.

Got the phone back that afternoon, offered him 20 euro for his honesty, wouldn't take it.

What a legend.

OP, I wouldn't be jumping to conclusions until you have all the info, most taximen are sound, but there are a handful that give others a bad name.

Same here..... got dropped to Airport by taxi to catch a flight. Got call from taxi man who picked up another fare on rank and passenger found my wallet sitting on back seat. He dropped his fare if and swung around to airport and met me outside with my wallet. Offered him €20 but he refused.

Oh and one last thing, in her conversation with him he mentioned he was originally from X but now living in Y. Where's the phone showing up now? Answers on a postcard please....

No one here is having a go at you, just saying not to jump to conclusions.

Driver might not have found the phone, it could still be in his car, he might have intentions or not to bring it back if he's near the area.

Sure go over to his house and find out for yourself. Let us know what happens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

My wifes jewellery that was stolen in 2014 was reported but never recorded. When asked 10 months later they still had no record of it. Never underestimate the laziness of some of our police force.

My wifes jewellery that was stolen in 2014 was reported but never recorded. When asked 10 months later they still had no record of it. Never underestimate the laziness of some of our police force.

If you report you should get a PULSE number.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

And she definitely had it when she got into the taxi?

• Advertisement

OP some find my phone apps can trace the device even when turned off. when battery is dead you have no chance of tracking it

Advertisement