Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heuston Station

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Clondalkin Foothill would be more likely, I would wager. The plans for Metro West included a stop at Foothill (Cork line) and Porterstown (Sligo line).

I fully expect Metro West will pop it's head up again within 5years. The success of orbital routes in Bus Connects (N4, W4 "still to be determined", etc.) will likely drive demand for orbital tram / metro lines. Tallaght and Blanch are two huge population centres...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Disco24

Yes that would be a game changer and perfect hub. Access to West and North Dublin incld big one of airport whilst avoiding city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Even if we could have a bus and ped bridge somewhere west of the M50. Lots of people would love to be able to go from clondalkin to blanch without having to get in a car and drive across the m50. You'd be faster walking anyway and the option just doesn't exist

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Yeah, Metro West is dead and isn't coming back, at least not for several decades. Most of the benefits from it can be achieved by buses at a fraction of the cost. You could also have diverse routes passing over the bridge with buses (e.g. inbound buses along the N4 turning north and heading across the bridge to serve the Blanchardstown/Ballcoolin area).

A public/active transport bridge west of the Liffey along with some targeted road upgrades would do the job. Articulated buses to speed up boarding/alighting and off-board ticketing and you'd have an excellent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

I wouldn't rule out Metro West making a comeback sooner. It passes through some of the largest towns in Ireland and would cross multiple high capacity lines - Red Luas, Dart SW, Lucan Luas(?), Dart West, Finglas Luas(?) and Metro North.

The route was mostly through green fields and above ground, making it significantly cheaper than underground Metro lines directly into the city.

All pie in the sky for now anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Recently new toilets have been put in and they are quite clean and well maintained and policed. I was in a restaurant thee (I forget the name but it was the one on the left as you enter from the Luas side). I was disappointed with the number of bloody pigeons in there. They even have a kind of lowered entrance to minimize their flight yet that's not a bother to them. One darted by my head like a plane as I entered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

If only they gave the toilets in Connolly the same treatment!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Wouldn't you think something like a bead/chain curtain would keep the pigeons out? I suppose it might be considered a choking risk for children, but even one half way down would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Pret A Manger have opened in Heuston now next to Brambles. With Insomnia, Butlers, the also recently opened Caffè Nero and the various other places there that offer coffee, there's quite the competition for caffeine on offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Polar101

I needed to buy a new Leap card - but buying one at Heuston station wasn't too easy.

Ticket maschine 1 - "Buy leap card" - nothing happened when I clicked on that

Ticket maschine 2 - "Buy leap card" - nothing happened when I clicked on that

Ticket maschine 3 - "Buy leap card" - add travel credit -> pay-> "Unable to dispense your smartcard. You have NOT been charged for this transaction"

Ticket maschine 4 - "Buy leap card" - add travel credit -> pay-> "Unable to dispense your smartcard. You have NOT been charged for this transaction"

Ticket maschine 5 - "Buy leap card" - add travel credit -> pay-> "Unable to dispense your smartcard. You have NOT been charged for this transaction"

After this I finally got the idea, and gave up. There's a news agent, but the queue was very long and they might have just told me "sure you can buy one at the ticket maschines".

Feels like they should restock the ticket maschines every now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Deleted

Post edited by mikeybhoy on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

M&S are gone a few years now,Fresh occupy that unit now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I got one fairly easily from a TVM at a suburban station a few weeks back with no issues, I have to say. Getting one in a shop proved a bit more tricky as it seems to be only Postpoint agents that do them now and my local one said they didn’t do them oddly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

My sister who was over visiting from the UK was unable to get one from either Booterstown or Dun Laoghaire station when they tried the other month, all the TVMs in both had no leap cards remaining!

Also interestingly enough, as of a couple weeks ago at least, Donnybrook Fair in Stillorgan still sell leap cards even though they aren't a PostPoint location (at least they didn't have any PostPoint signage, and don't show on the online locator).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I think a lot the shops are not full post point outlets but just offer leap cards

Advertisement