Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
07-01-2019, 14:28   #466
mikhail
Registered User
 
mikhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotblack Desiato View Post
A big smack upside the head for anyone who says "dark side of the moon".
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
mikhail is offline  
Advertisement
07-01-2019, 23:12   #467
SophieLockhart
Registered User
 
SophieLockhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 77
Dark doesn't have to mean no light though, it could just mean unexplored or not as familiar.
SophieLockhart is offline  
08-01-2019, 08:40   #468
Zubeneschamali
Registered User
 
Zubeneschamali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 15,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLockhart View Post
Dark doesn't have to mean no light though, it could just mean unexplored or not as familiar.

"Darkest Africa".
Zubeneschamali is offline  
09-01-2019, 01:09   #469
JupiterKid
Registered User
 
JupiterKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,482
New Horizons mission director Alan Stern has stated that with any luck the spacecraft may make a close encounter with another Kuiper Belt Object as it exits our solar system.

Remember the Kuiper belt, a vast belt of icy objects beyond the orbit of Neptune (and which Pluto is one of the larger members of) was only directly detected for the first time in 1992, and makes the much closer asteroid belt seem tiny in comparison.

It is also the reservoir fron which short period comets originate from. Essentially the just imaged Ultima Thule is the naked nucleus of a comet. Amazing!


As for China landing a rover on the far side of the Moon, yes this is a feat. Yes, the Americans walked on the Moon nearly 50 years ago, but China have firm plans for manned lunar missions, and these will be incremental in nature, leading to a manned lunar base in the long term. Not a “footprints and flags” space-race driven Apollo programme that turned out to be a dead end.

Last edited by JupiterKid; 09-01-2019 at 01:29.
JupiterKid is offline  
(2) thanks from:
09-01-2019, 10:51   #470
ThunderCat
Registered User
 
ThunderCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLockhart View Post
Dark doesn't have to mean no light though, it could just mean unexplored or not as familiar.


In the case of the Moon it also means radio silence. To overcome this I'm pretty sure the Chinese have some sort of relay probe in moon orbit which allows communication with the rover.
ThunderCat is offline  
Advertisement
10-01-2019, 14:20   #471
ads20101
Registered User
 
ads20101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,353
Just had a look on the New Horizons site:

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/soc/UltimaThule-Encounter/

Rather surprised that no further imagery has been released since the 1/1/19
ads20101 is offline  
10-01-2019, 14:32   #472
RebelButtMunch
Registered User
 
RebelButtMunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by ads20101 View Post
Just had a look on the New Horizons site:

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/soc/UltimaThule-Encounter/

Rather surprised that no further imagery has been released since the 1/1/19
I thought I'd read that it's gone behind the sun for a bit and will resume after that.
RebelButtMunch is offline  
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 14:51   #473
ads20101
Registered User
 
ads20101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,353
I went onto the DSN to see if they're getting data at the moment. Unfortunately, not from New Horizons, but I did see that they are currently receiving data from voyager 1 at a distance of 21.7 billion km.

Amazing stuff!!
ads20101 is offline  
10-01-2019, 14:54   #474
mikhail
Registered User
 
mikhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelButtMunch View Post
I thought I'd read that it's gone behind the sun for a bit and will resume after that.
That's correct. We're in a ten-day window where they can't communicate with the probe. Normal service should resume fairly soon.
mikhail is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 17:29   #475
AMKC
Registered User
 
AMKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhail View Post
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Its called the dark side of the moon because it never faces the Earth and we never get to see that 40% of it from the Earth because of the Earths orbit and how the moon goes around the Earth. We can see the other 60% of the moon from the Earth but not all at the one time.
AMKC is offline  
12-01-2019, 18:04   #476
mikhail
Registered User
 
mikhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMKC View Post
Its called the dark side of the moon because it never faces the Earth and we never get to see that 40% of it from the Earth because of the Earths orbit and how the moon goes around the Earth. We can see the other 60% of the moon from the Earth but not all at the one time.
It's a Pink Floyd lyric, doofus. People posting on this board generally know the moon is tidally locked.
mikhail is offline  
(2) thanks from:
14-01-2019, 01:40   #477
Hotblack Desiato
Registered User
 
Hotblack Desiato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 18,118
Hilarious reading the excuses on here about how a side of the moon which is sunlit 50% of the time is actually "dark".
Hotblack Desiato is offline  
28-01-2019, 15:25   #478
mikhail
Registered User
 
mikhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,738
They released a nice image from a more oblique angle the other day.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/25/s...ule-photo.html

mikhail is offline  
11-02-2019, 18:21   #479
mikhail
Registered User
 
mikhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,738
More data alters presumed shape of Ultima Thule:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...-than-snowman/
mikhail is offline  
20-09-2019, 14:29   #480
mikhail
Registered User
 
mikhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,738
“Celestial snowman” starts to reveal its secrets
Quote:
At first glance, MU69 looked much as researchers had imagined a pristine Kuiper Belt object (KBO) would appear, with a dark surface, rich in water ice and organic material, and relatively unscarred by craters. But when they looked closer, it offered plenty of surprises. From its shape to its spin to its composition, the distant rock is providing planetary researchers with a wealth of information about the conditions in the vicinity of the sun 4.5 billion years ago, and it’s even helping solve a decades-old puzzle about how the planets formed.
https://www.pnas.org/content/116/38/18749
mikhail is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet