Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Going to college on disability allowance

Options
  • 23-05-2020 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,
    I’m 20 and on disability. I’m cut off from my parents and can’t get SUSI or the 1916 bursary. Is there any other way I could get to college regarding paying the student contribution fees??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

luciphyr wrote: »
    Hi,
    I’m 20 and on disability. I’m cut off from my parents and can’t get SUSI or the 1916 bursary. Is there any other way I could get to college regarding paying the student contribution fees??

What age will you be when you goto college?

You could apply for Back to Education Allowance if you're going to be 21 I think. My boyfriend went from disability to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

Why can't you get SUSI?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

SUSI is based on household income? Do you still live with your parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

SUSI is based on household income? Do you still live with your parents?

There’s only 4 posts in this thread. In the first post he says he’s cut off from his parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

You can get SUSI while on disability as I have done it, your disability payment is not affected but others like rent allowance or hap can be.

SUSI have accepted a solicitors letter regarding parental estrangement in the past but it can be a slow process. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement