Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convid-19 emergency payment - unpaid maternity leave

Options
  • 19-05-2020 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have just finished up on my 26 weeks paid maternity leave and now have to take unpaid maternity leave. I confirmed with my employer I will take a further 9 weeks off unpaid as I have nobody to mind my baby during this pandemic and am unable to work from home as I wouldn’t be able to get any work done as my son takes up all my time. I have looked up and think I am entitled to apply for the convid-19 unemployment payment. Does anyone know if I am entitled to apply for this as I have no childcare? Or is there anything else I should look into? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

You cannot get the COVID unemployment payment if it is your decision not to return to work.

If your employer says they don't have work for you, its a different matter altogether. If this is the case, you would not go on Additional Maternity Leave, but would be temporarily laid off by your employer (or alternatively placed on the Wage Subsidy Scheme).

You can speak with your employer to see what might suit you both.

Are you parenting together with a partner or a single parent? If you are not cohabiting, you can claim One Parent Family Payment for any unpaid maternity leave. If parenting together and your partner is on low wages, your partner may be able to claim Working Family Payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

(or alternatively placed on the Wage Subsidy Scheme).

I gather the those returning from maternity leave are not eligible fo the wage subsidy scheme,

I gather the those returning from maternity leave are not eligible fo the wage subsidy scheme,

Has this been confirmed by Revenue? Or is it perhaps because those not being paid by their employer were not being paid at the relevant date.

Those on Maternity Leave are legally considered to be employed for the duration of their leave, so should be able to access same supports. However, if COVID payment is same or more than TWSS, it may not be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Has this been confirmed by Revenue? Or is it perhaps because those not being paid by their employer were not being paid at the relevant date.

It seems to be those whom were on unpaid maternity leave are not covered, but those on paid maternity leave are cover.

Also impacted those on parental leave and career breaks when this has recently ended.

It seems to be those whom were on unpaid maternity leave are not covered, but those on paid maternity leave are cover.

Also impacted those on parental leave and career breaks when this has recently ended.

Seems that currently they are excluded, but given what has been in the news, I wouldn't be surprised if this was overturned. Its clearly less favourable treatment for a number of groups protected under equality/discrimination law.

The government are suggesting that the equality obligations lie with the employers, although that doesn't get them out of their obligations under the Constitution and International Human Rights law.

I expect them to resolve this for those coming off maternity leave at least. The other groups may have a harder time getting access.

• Advertisement
Advertisement