Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So long folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

slegs wrote: »
    I have created a new forum www.irishspurs.com (I have access to quality server space and will fund other costs for the moment)

I know its a long shot with forums on the decline but if there is a demand I am willing to support the forum

I guess this post will be removed soon but spread the word if you can

Good man you are. I just registered as KingdomSpurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

Just joined up there too.

Will miss this forum. Go to a shed load more games than I would have otherwise. Great conversations and always a welcoming and humourous corner of boards.
    Don't like the soccer forum but the thread has been very friendly so far.
    I don't get the logic.
    From an IT side of things you would file everything into different sections instead of having a single directory with a mess of files... But I'm just a user...

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Just popped in to say goodbye and thanks for all the info and chat over the years. I hope most of ye will migrate but, seeing as I served a 2 week ban after a nothing post after the FA Cup Semi, I can't actually recommend the main forum. I will give it a go for a while but I expect to have an ignore list longer than a WHL unbeaten run. And a few more bans!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Genuinely sad at this news, I was more of a lurker than a poster but loved dropping in and picking up Spurs related news. The soccer forum is just not a place I'm going to be dropping in to much at all.

Fare well all of you and thanks for the info and discussions over the past 9 years or so that I've enjoyed this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

A lurker here as well but posted the odd time. I have registered on the new site. Shame that boards have taken the decision as I don't see how this caused such an issue. COYS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Im gutted to be honest. This was the only forum that I ever really posted in regularly although ive stopped over the past season. It really was quite nice to discuss matches im a sensible and rational manner(most of the time). That simply just doesnt happen in the soccer forum.

Will definitely register for the irishspurs forum.

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The irishspurs link above doesn't appear to be working on the touch site, it returns a boards.ie 404 error. If so, try m.boards.ie or the full website.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Well done, Great idea...
    Registered as Greenspurs

COYS...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Just registered myself as KerrySpurs ...

Any chance we can keep the chav wum's out of the new place ?

Robxxx7 wrote: »

Will we need Mods ?! :p:p:p:D:D:D

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote: »
    Will we need Mods ?! :p:p:p:D:D:D

Dont think we need to be told what we cant do :):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Robxxx7 wrote: »

Making the place private and vetting people would be a failure. Let's let it run, we have the power to kick anyone being a dick

You must make a post in the introduction thread to get access to the forum otherwise your posts will all need approval

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Fair play for setting it up. I have registered and will be more of a lurker than a poster unless something gets my back about, like signing another Clinton or KGN.

I don't pot anywhere else so ill shut down the boards login

• Registered Users Posts: 36,099 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I don't own this website so I've little enough right to complain about the decisions that are made about it's running, but it strikes me that if you're trying to maintain something worthwhile about boards then a decision to close down an active and thriving subgroup which has developed as a community is counterproductive.

The decision is one thing, the discussion-free method is another. Thanks for the offer to discuss this in private but no thanks, if you've so little respect for your contributors that you want them to grovel in private you don't really deserve their efforts in any way.

I've hardly posted on boards in about a year, partly because the real world got a lot realer, and partly because the decisions that have been made about the running of the site have grated on me. This is yet another dunder-headed move that will please only the serial whiners on the soccer forum.

Thanks to everyone who I've met or conversed with over the years, you know where to find me if you want.

Completely agree, and it should be noted that it's coming from someone who spent a lot of time and effort in moderating the main soccer forum and this subforum.

Baffling decision - and I say that as a Liverpool fan who posts a lot in the main forum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

end of an era - such a shame

its been emotional :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Just seeing this now as I've been away with work.
    Gutted to say the least, and very angry.
    Justification if that's what it can be called is laughable.
    To those that I have helped with tickets over the years, PM me and we'll hook up on Facebook or somewhere else.
    I'll register for the new site later, fair play, good idea.
    Lads who I've had loads of beers with at the lane and other grounds, keep in touch.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Registered on new site as Pacing Mule again. Cya there!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Registered on new site as Pacing Mule again. Cya there!

What about a WhatsApp group?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Thanks to Beasty Gav and Zaph for conspiring to shutdown our little active community in boards. The clues are in the FA Cup semi-final thread! The shutting down of the Inactive Chelsea forum is just a smokescreen to cover their backs!
    Surely this decision can be appealed and also I would like to hear from the member of boards management who had the final decision on this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Thanks to Beasty Gav and Zaph for conspiring to shutdown our little active community in boards. The clues are in the FA Cup semi-final thread! The shutting down of the Inactive Chelsea forum is just a smokescreen to cover their backs!
    Surely this decision can be appealed and also I would like to hear from the member of boards management who had the final decision on this!

Id suggest getting on to an Admin if you've an issue and rhey can spell it our for ya but if you reckon theres some sort of vendetta against your little corner of the internet from any of us, youre sorely mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

Balls...closing it in the off season.

Goodbye fellow anarchists!!! (WTF?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Spot on.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭slegs

GavRedKing wrote: »

Id suggest getting on to an Admin if you've an issue and rhey can spell it our for ya but if you reckon theres some sort of vendetta against your little corner of the internet from any of us, youre sorely mistaken.

Well what genius decided it was a good idea then. These mysterious anonymous admins who won't come and explain themselves. Hiding like cowards behind feedback forums where they can suppress any meaningful discussion.

Beasty was sent out to say we've dexidied and that's that. What else can be assumed except a conspiracy. The reason given was absolute bullsh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

I'm really surprised by boards and I would have thought they would have gone the opposite route and established sub forums for other teams as demand dictated. I think this little part of boards shows exactly why boards was (deliberately using was) so popular. Another nail in the coffin to a site that actually should be thriving but is contriving to do the opposite.

Not going to repeat myself but just what to say thanks to all those that posted on here and shared info and other things.

COYS

Easy thing to do is for all us Spurs fans to stay out of the Soccer ManPool Forum....
    As one of the lads here has set up a spurs forum, Use it.... Ignore the Soccer one here, we dont seem to be valued , or else the "Powers that be " dont like the fact that there is very very little trolling in our club....
    Ignore and Dont Use...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

greenspurs wrote: »
    Easy thing to do is for all us Spurs fans to stay out of the Soccer ManPool Forum....
    As one of the lads here has set up a spurs forum, Use it.... Ignore the Soccer one here, we dont seem to be valued , or else the "Powers that be " dont like the fact that there is very very little trolling in our club....
    Ignore and Dont Use...

Couldnt agree more ....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Absolutely shocking decision. Won't be posting there....doubt my never ending optimism would go down well there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    I'm really surprised by boards and I would have thought they would have gone the opposite route and established sub forums for other teams as demand dictated. I think this little part of boards shows exactly why boards was (deliberately using was) so popular. Another nail in the coffin to a site that actually should be thriving but is contriving to do the opposite.

Not going to repeat myself but just what to say thanks to all those that posted on here and shared info and other things.

COYS

It was either allow sub forums for all the teams, or get rid of the existing ones, this forum only existed because WhiteWashMan was a friend of Tom who ran boards, and didn't really know the dynamics of teams and their supporters and the mess it would create in the long term (although it was pointed out to them multiple times when the forum was created, it was hand-waved away).

Instead we get "super threads" for each team on the main forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement