Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Madeleine McCann

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 optimist16

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nCfPFx5ogk

The discrepancies in the statements, discrediting of the dogs, the couple that gave statements to the police about lewd conduct and the police not forwarding the statements, the people chosen to handle the situation from the outset, the relative who said that charitable donations would be used for legal fees.....

If you're so inclined it's fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

She wandered out herself, something happened (car accident/paedo)
    robwen wrote: »
    Did the other people Kate & Gerry were having dinner/ on holidays with leave their kids in the same situation?

One family had the granny with them who was babysitting . The others were all left alone too . The Mc Canns apartment was more vulnerable as it was the nearest to the road and the steps from the patio led right onto a public road

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    I can provide proof of that.

"Proof" isn't some made up imaginary word that means whatever you want it to be.

Either you have proof or you don't, so come on, lets see your proof?

tretorn wrote: »
    No, you are wrong, most parents wouldnt do it.

They wouldnt even drop into the neighbour next door for more than two minutes if they had children that age asleep in bed.

All those resorts provide childcare for parents as it would be understood that most parents wouldnt go out and leave three under threes alone with only a quick glance into the room every twenty minutes being the supervision.
    In that particular resort The Mc Canns had access to a free babysitting service where they could leave the kids under supervision and also access to a paid service where a nanny would sit in the apartment with the kids . They chose to do neither but to get their kids into bed by 7 pm and leave them alone to go out to eat with friends

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I don’t think Kate and Gerry had anything to do with it. I think the most obvious answer is what likely happened. Someone had been watching their behaviour on previous nights and acted on opportunity when they knew the kids were alone. I don’t think Kate and Gerry are particularly nice people, in fact I don’t like them at all and they are partly responsible for what happened to their daughter. But I just don’t think they’re capable of what some people are accusing them of. It’s clear as day that Kate is tormented ever since and she has grief written all over her face. I think they’re cold and detached and odd and have made a lot of strange decisions but I don’t think they’re murderers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Steve F wrote: »
    Something that I always thought strange was the video showing Gerry allegedly laughing and joking a few days after the disappearance
    Just didn't look or feel right

Firstly, people react very differently to stress & sadness. If I'm nervous about something, I get the giggles. There is no "correct" way to deal with and act when your child disappears.
    And secondly, that photo was one of maybe 100 snapshots taken by that photographer. In the rest of the photos, his expression might have looked neutral, or sad, or stressed, or angry.
    But which one got published? The one that portrays the father of a newly missing child as having the lols, of course.
    Because its a better story and it'll sell more copies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

If they did it, they're phenomenal actors and totally impervious to pressure, both of them. That seems unlikely. They obviously shouldn't have left the kids alone but they were also incredibly unlucky. Whoever snatched the girl probably killed her in the next few days and the body was disposed of well away from the resort.

loyatemu wrote: »
    If they did it, they're phenomenal actors and totally impervious to pressure, both of them. That seems unlikely. They obviously shouldn't have left the kids alone but they were also incredibly unlucky. Whoever snatched the girl probably killed her in the next few days and the body was disposed of well away from the resort.
    It was Madeleine who was unlucky , let down by her parents .

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

What get's to me is that they were not prosecuted for child neglect. I don't think they murdered their child but it was their actions that led to the poor child's murder/disappearance. Had they been working class parents the public reaction would have been very different and I somehow doubt the British authorities would still be investigating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    One family had the granny with them who was babysitting . The others were all left alone too . The Mc Canns apartment was more vulnerable as it was the nearest to the road and the steps from the patio led right onto a public road

The granny was at the table in the tapas bar. Wasn't another child ill that night?

• Advertisement

The granny was at the table in the tapas bar. Wasn't another child ill that night?

Was one child vomiting and a dad stayed with it . Sorry , I think the gran might have been babysitting other night , maybe not the night in question . Now I am confused too !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Was one child vomiting and a dad stayed with it . Sorry , I think the gran might have been babysitting other night , maybe not the night in question . Now I am confused too !

It's very confusing with all the different accounts and media stories all contradicting each other! It seems (from Jane Tanners police interview) that the father was supposed to stay at home with the sick child. She left for dinner at 20:30 and he turned up a half an hour later at 21:00?

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/JANE-TANNER-10MAY.htm

Ev was sick and had difficulty with sleeping stayed with her father, who had arrived in the meantime, (on the previous night the deponent stayed later in the bedroom because her daughter had difficulty in sleeping; on this night it was her husband's turn). She left the apartment and went to the Tapas, for dinner, around 20h30.

When she arrived at the restaurant there were already some adult members of the group, namely the McCanns, without their children. They [the children] were supposedly sleeping.

Around 21h00 her husband arrived at the restaurant, Ev, meanwhile, having fallen asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,231 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thanks for the YT link, never seen it before
    Always thought at the time seeing the interviews that Gerry just seemed off about the whole thing and Kate was an innocent (maybe) bystander to something nefarious
    And after watching those documentaries I'm now even more convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

goat2 wrote: »
    Where is the proof, if you can prove it, would love to see it

Have we got a psychic in our midst?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Firstly, people react very differently to stress & sadness. If I'm nervous about something, I get the giggles. There is no "correct" way to deal with and act when your child disappears.
    And secondly, that photo was one of maybe 100 snapshots taken by that photographer. In the rest of the photos, his expression might have looked neutral, or sad, or stressed, or angry.
    But which one got published? The one that portrays the father of a newly missing child as having the lols, of course.
    Because its a better story and it'll sell more copies.

It wasn't a photo,it was video.It was posted on youtube but I can't remember the channel

The parents did it
    MBM had, that morning, asked the reason why her parents had not come to the bedroom when she and her brother had cried (the previous night)

I think this speaks loudly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Speaks loudly in what why?

LorenzoB wrote: »
    I think this speaks loudly

That’s so sad. What kind of parents leave their child alone again when they’ve said something like that to you. Utterly shameful.

Steve F wrote: »
    Speaks loudly in what why?

For me its shows the disregard of the parents who chose to leave the children despite a three year old telling them that her brother cried and no one came .

Forget the risk of abduction in this case but the other risks they took are glaring .The risk of a child falling , having a seizure , vomiting , a fever , the risk of a child crying in fear after a dream , the risk of a child coughing and choking and no one came . Two doctors disregarding all of this to have dinner with mates .Shame on all of them .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Thinking Sideways Podcast also cover this case. Worth a listen.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

For me its shows the disregard of the parents who chose to leave the children despite a three year old telling them that her brother cried and no one came .

Forget the risk of abduction in this case but the other risks they took are glaring .The risk of a child falling , having a seizure , vomiting , a fever , the risk of a child crying in fear after a dream , the risk of a child coughing and choking and no one came . Two doctors disregarding all of this to have dinner with mates .Shame on all of them .

Exactly! There's no way I'd leave my kids alone like that, TBH abduction would be the last thing on my mind, it would be more in case they woke and were frightened or took ill.

I think the most likely scenario is that something happened to her in the apartment and she died there, either she was sick or she fell out of bed or she got up and went out of the bedroom to look for her parents and came to harm somehow in the apartment. Her parents probably panicked and said she was abducted. I don't think they killed her, but they were extremely negligent and I they had to have known what they were doing was at the very least lousy parenting, if not child endangerment. I'd say they realised that if the authorities found out that they'd left 3 toddlers alone in an apartment while they buggered off for dinner, and one of them died while they were gone, they'd be looking at jail time, and quite possibly having their other 2 kids taken off them.

Something Else
    Toots wrote: »
    Exactly! There's no way I'd leave my kids alone like that, TBH abduction would be the last thing on my mind, it would be more in case they woke and were frightened or took ill.

I think the most likely scenario is that something happened to her in the apartment and she died there, either she was sick or she fell out of bed or she got up and went out of the bedroom to look for her parents and came to harm somehow in the apartment. Her parents probably panicked and said she was abducted. I don't think they killed her, but they were extremely negligent and I they had to have known what they were doing was at the very least lousy parenting, if not child endangerment. I'd say they realised that if the authorities found out that they'd left 3 toddlers alone in an apartment while they buggered off for dinner, and one of them died while they were gone, they'd be looking at jail time, and quite possibly having their other 2 kids taken off them.

People defending the McCanns often ask about motive and that's exactly it.

An abduction makes you the parents that made a mistake and were unfortunate enough to be the victim of a sinister act. People empathize with that.

A child being left alone, tragically falling and dying is neglect. People have no sympathy for that.

Stage an abduction, act sad, hold your hand up for your honest mistake...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Have we got a psychic in our midst?

No, But I think that if they did it, they would not be keeping it in the public eye, and hoping it would disappear off the press,

No, But I think that if they did it, they would not be keeping it in the public eye, and hoping it would disappear off the press,

I think it's the reverse and they and the powers that be want to keep it in the press. It is a ltd. company after all.

I do understand why people are suspicious of them and as cold and detached I think they are, I just can’t bring myself to believe they harmed her. And if she had an accident and they covered it up, they’d want to be absolute psychopaths to have kept up the charade for so long. I do think the cadaver dog signalling in the room was odd, as is the fact she washed the teddy, and refusing DNA testing on the kids. Like I said earlier, a lot of strange decisions.. but I don’t know. I still think she was abducted.

I've read and watched too much to believe them. I did once, but sadly there's nothing can take away from what I learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I do understand why people are suspicious of them and as cold and detached I think they are, I just can’t bring myself to believe they harmed her. And if she had an accident and they covered it up, they’d want to be absolute psychopaths to have kept up the charade for so long. I do think the cadaver dog signalling in the room was odd, as is the fact she washed the teddy, and refusing DNA testing on the kids. Like I said earlier, a lot of strange decisions.. but I don’t know. I still think she was abducted.

Why were they being asked to have their children DNA tested, I had not heard of that,

Why were they being asked to have their children DNA tested, I had not heard of that,

Sorry I don’t know why I wrote DNA testing lol! I was watching Making A Murderer and wrote that by mistake. I meant drug test!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

They could be absolute psychopaths, or they could be absolutely terrified of losing their other kids, and there's absolutely no way now they can do anything other than stick to the abduction story.

To me, the fact that she washed the teddy speaks volumes. If that was my child, I'd never wash anything like that, it'd be like erasing any traces of them.

I think in this case occam's razor is very applicable - the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. When you consider it, which is the more likely scenario; a three year old left unattended in a dark apartment either becomes ill or wakes and goes looking for her parents and has an accident (falls and hits her head on the tiled floor etc); or a mysterious abductor breaks into the apartment and spirits her away, without leaving any forensic evidence (hair, footprints, fingerprints etc) and without touching either of the younger sleeping children?

• Advertisement

Sorry I don’t know why I wrote DNA testing lol! I was watching Making A Murderer and wrote that by mistake. I meant drug test!

My guess is they had given the kids sedatives . They wouldn't be the first to dose their kids with eg Phenergan or its like . I know first hand of medical personnel who use it to sedate kids on long haul flights .
    The fact they got all three kids in bed and asleep by 7:30 . The twins slept through the chaos and commotion that night in their cots . They were lifted out of cots and moved to another apartment without a peep
    The fact that Kate herself actually checked the twins to see if the were breathing .
    If Madeleine was taken and carried out of that apartment then the fact she didn't scream blue holey murder
    All these lead me to believe the children were somehow sedated .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement