Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sony XZ1 64GB €259.99/Sony XZ Premium €299.99

• 09-11-2018 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

On Littlewoods.

The discount is huge if they were really selling for that. Anyone know if this is a real bargain? Sorry if not. Just saw it on Pricescanner.

Sony Xperia XZ1 64Gb

Sony Xperia XZ Premium

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭micks_address

Wheety wrote: »
    On Littlewoods.

The discount is huge if they were really selling for that. Anyone know if this is a real bargain? Sorry if not. Just saw it on Pricescanner.

Sony Xperia XZ1 64Gb

Sony Xperia XZ Premium

Its a decent price in fairness. The phone is one year old so had last years 'flagship' specs.. probably plenty for most users

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/sony-xperia-xz1-review

looks like the premium is better :)

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/sony-xperia-xz-premium-review

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Its marked as unavailable on littlewoods site. Misprice or just very limited stock?

Thanks anyway Wheety

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

machalla wrote: »
    Its marked as unavailable on littlewoods site. Misprice or just very limited stock?

Thanks anyway Wheety

Probably a misprice? Apologies. I didn't try and purchase as I have a fairly new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Invincible

Wheety wrote: »
    On Littlewoods.

Sony Xperia XZ1 64Gb

Sony Xperia XZ Premium

Amazon prices better, know where has better return policy :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0753MMK5B?tag=22

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X9R8FL8?tag=22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Great price for the XZ1 Premium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

machalla wrote: »

Thanks anyway Wheety

Both available now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Invincible wrote: »

Seen this the other day.
    Only this evening my brother mentions about looking to upgrade his Sony Z5 but the premium is gone up in price now.
    Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Would anyone who has experience of the XZ premium and the original Google Pixel XL recommend upgrading from the XL to the premium?
    Thanks

BTW Android pie, rolled out last week for the XZ1 Premium

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Would anyone who has experience of the XZ premium and the original Google Pixel XL recommend upgrading from the XL to the premium?
    Thanks

I have the XZ1 not the premium, but I've had it for a year. It's by far the worst phone I've ever owned.

There have been countless issues with the device from day 1.
    • I've had the physical panel at the bottom of the phone separate and bend as the sticky tape that is used to secure it came loose.
    • Sony's software is the buggiest Android software I've ever used sometimes calls can't be answered meaning I had to install a 3rd party dialing software from the play store.
    • The battery lasts approx 1/2 a day while sitting in my pocket, if I'm using it on a day off I'll have to charge it 3 times during the day.
    • The signal (and this may be a network issue) is abysmal, I have to flick on and off flight mode to go between emergency calls only to 3 bars of coverage..

I should add that this is standard Sony software, no ROM's, no unlocked bootloaders etc. it's as it came out of the box with regular updates.

I've had phones from LG, HTC, Samsung, OnePlus, Motorola and Apple, this phone is by far the worst I've ever had.
    Honestly, if they were free I wouldn't take another one and I wouldn't recommend you get one either.
    Stick with the Pixel XL, you're better off by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

lolie wrote: »
    Seen this the other day.
    Only this evening my brother mentions about looking to upgrade his Sony Z5 but the premium is gone up in price now.
    Pity.

It's back in stock now and back down to £229 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

ordered one - should be a big step up from my galaxy s5! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭omeara1113

Ordered one from amazon hope customs don't get it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

omeara1113 wrote: »
    Ordered one from amazon hope customs don't get it

Amazon US? Maybe.

Amazon UK (or one of the European amazon sites). No, its already within the customs boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Frank_1969

I have the XZ1 not the premium, but I've had it for a year. It's by far the worst phone I've ever owned.

There have been countless issues with the device from day 1.
    • I've had the physical panel at the bottom of the phone separate and bend as the sticky tape that is used to secure it came loose.
    • Sony's software is the buggiest Android software I've ever used sometimes calls can't be answered meaning I had to install a 3rd party dialing software from the play store.
    • The battery lasts approx 1/2 a day while sitting in my pocket, if I'm using it on a day off I'll have to charge it 3 times during the day.
    • The signal (and this may be a network issue) is abysmal, I have to flick on and off flight mode to go between emergency calls only to 3 bars of coverage..

I should add that this is standard Sony software, no ROM's, no unlocked bootloaders etc. it's as it came out of the box with regular updates.

I've had phones from LG, HTC, Samsung, OnePlus, Motorola and Apple, this phone is by far the worst I've ever had.
    Honestly, if they were free I wouldn't take another one and I wouldn't recommend you get one either.
    Stick with the Pixel XL, you're better off by all accounts.

Thanks for this review.I suppose this is why they are discounted by so much!!!

I had the XZ1 Compact and didnt have any of those issues.
    The battery lasting 1/2 sounds like a faulty app, you should do a factory reset to fix that.
    I never found the Sony software more buggy than any other android phones/tablets software.
    You should have sent the phone away to be repaired if the panel removed from the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

billbond4 wrote: »
    I had the XZ1 Compact and didnt have any of those issues.
    The battery lasting 1/2 sounds like a faulty app, you should do a factory reset to fix that.
    I never found the Sony software more buggy than any other android phones/tablets software.
    You should have sent the phone away to be repaired if the panel removed from the phone.

Maybe they got it right with the compact, I can't speak for the differences only the experience I've had.

XZ1 Compact arrived this morning.

Battery life not awful, but less than my 2880x1440 6" LG v30 (3300mah vs 2700). Not great considering small screen and low resolution, but I do enjoy having a genuinely pocketable phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Still waiting on my XZ Premium to be dispatched.........ordered 10th

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Still waiting on my XZ Premium to be dispatched.........ordered 10th

Ordered on 12th (Monday) and it arrived yesterday (14th) - excellent so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd say its priced right- its a SD835- with reasonable specs and a decent enough camera.
    It was overpriced to begin with- however, as its now aged a bit- its better than a budget phone- but not a premium model anymore.
    Personally- I'd go for a MG6 or wait for the MG7- rather than get this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I'd say its priced right- its a SD835- with reasonable specs and a decent enough camera.
    It was overpriced to begin with- however, as its now aged a bit- its better than a budget phone- but not a premium model anymore.
    Personally- I'd go for a MG6 or wait for the MG7- rather than get this.

Based on specs/performance numbers there is no competition between the G6 and the XZ1.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9000&idPhone2=8804#europe,*,*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Based on specs/performance numbers there is no competition between the G6 and the XZ1.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9000&idPhone2=8804#europe,*,*

However- the G6 is half the price- I got it for 149.99 on amazon.es
    I went with it- rather than the Sony- because of the software implementation (ironically enough- its significantly better on the Motorola- though I do use third party sw for the camera).

I don't need top of the range- I need something that I can batter the living crap out of- and its not going to break- or if it does (eventually)- I can a replacement handily- without it breaking the bank. I always use Otterboxes or Spiegens- but my hardware does have a finite lifespan. Even my titanium HP Elitebook- has a lump taken out of it- and before that I was on a run of Panasonic Toughbooks.

You could go all-out on hardware (I have used JCB phones- and some other interesting hardened devices)- or you can go cheap and cheerful- in the knowledge that when you do break it- you can get a replacement without having to rob a bank.

Thats the way I'm looking at it.

If the software implementation on the Sony wasn't as half baked- it might be a easier sell..........

Your battery life should get better when you get the Pie update

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    Ordered on 12th (Monday) and it arrived yesterday (14th) - excellent so far.

Still waiting on the poxy phone to be shipped. Have contacted customer service and warned them I will complain to the UK Consumer Protection Agency if they try and pull the order. Snapped it at 225£ but they don't want to ship it at that price. If they pull the order then bye bye Amazon, account will be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

Premium was 229 earlier this evening, went in to buy it and price was then at 319

Emailed Amazon and the item has been dispatched in the wee hours, they apologised in a follow up email, probably hoped I'd cancel as I got it at 224£. Now I can get the cover!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

The size of the compact is the selling point. Phones have got ridiculous in size imo so having a phone that is half the size of your leg is a big plus

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Emailed Amazon and the item has been dispatched in the wee hours, they apologised in a follow up email, probably hoped I'd cancel as I got it at 224£. Now I can get the cover!

A multinational with sales heading toward $200billion isn't docking you around in the hope you'll cancel an order, it's more than a bit paranoid to believe it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

Xz premium back to £229 on Amazon

Advertisement