Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Probably not a good idea to stick my 6 year old niece in The Kitchen demo then?

damn... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah it's to do with the risk of developing nearsightedness. But some articles I read say that the risk of that is higher with the use of smartphones etc..

Good article on shorted sightedness on one of the radio stations the other day.

Due to smart phone use of course.

They estimate that 50% of the population will be shortsighted by 2050 or something.

And at present, something like 78% of under 30 year olds in Singapore or Hong Kong (can't remember but one of the very tech savvy nations) are short sighted.

Edit:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/lifestyle-linked-to-huge-increase-in-short-sightedness-1.3397726

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

NIMAN wrote: »

They estimate that 50% of the population will be shortsighted by 2050 or something.

And at present, something like 78% of under 30 year olds in Singapore or Hong Kong (can't remember but one of the very tech savvy nations) are short sighted.

Time to invest in specsavers......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Edit:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/lifestyle-linked-to-huge-increase-in-short-sightedness-1.3397726

Based on my experience in HK last week it could very well be them. They are smart phone zombies, just walking about with their head buried in their phones!

They must have a hard time aiming molotov cocktails at HK police

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »
    They must have a hard time aiming molotov cocktails at HK police

Augmented reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭riddles

coolisin wrote: »
    I was coming to post exactly what atomic pineapple has posted.
    Heard it discussed at a conference before and have read articles on the same.

Also I find the PSVR is def setup for a more adult size head. So not sure if a young kid can get the same experience.

Hi

I was considering getting the VR headset for the ps4 the mega pack 2 with 4 games is 359€. My 11 year old would be using it so some of the game are not age appropriate - wondering if it is worth. What would be a good price for the head set and are there enough good games suitable for < 16

Also based on your feedback what age do you think would be when the kids can get a decent experience on it?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

riddles wrote: »
    Hi

I was considering getting the VR headset for the ps4 the mega pack 2 with 4 games is 359€. My 11 year old would be using it so some of the game are not age appropriate - wondering if it is worth. What would be a good price for the head set and are there enough good games suitable for < 16

Also based on your feedback what age do you think would be when the kids can get a decent experience on it?

thanks

Think that can be got cheaper.
    Any horror game is going to scare the sh1t out of them...I'm sorry but the extra experience is so different to a normal horror game so keep that in mind..

As for the 11yr old he might be mature and be able to deal really well with it all.
    It says no one younger then 12 but you know how your kid will deal with it.

I would recommend having move controllers and getting an Aim Controller also.

So many games to play which are any age really
    Astro bot
    Ghost Giant
    Moss
    Beat saber
    Honour and duty
    Superhot
    Rec Room Free always online.

Older kids:
    Skyrim
    Blood and truth (Violent spy game!)
    Firewall (although always on line communication with other players)

It's your kid! So wouldn't know how ready they are for it.
    Can be an intense experience with motion sickness at the start.
    But if the headset doesn't fit they'll grow into it when your finished having a blast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭riddles

Go for it!!

That's my opinion!!

I bought a cheap wheel first the T80 and that broke, ended up getting the next model t150 and it was miles ahead of the t80 so I imagine that one is a hell of a lot better.
    Recommend getting a nice stand for the wheel also.

https://www.wheelstandpro.com/ went with this and its great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe it was just me, but the driving demo's gave me terrible motion sickness in VR.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Maybe it was just me, but the driving demo's gave me terrible motion sickness in VR.

Not just you, pretty common issue. Some say that putting a fan on low in front of you reduces the motion sickness. But I don't think I'll ever be used to Wipeout in VR... stomach churning!

Not just you, pretty common issue. Some say that putting a fan on low in front of you reduces the motion sickness. But I don't think I'll ever be used to Wipeout in VR... stomach churning!

Wow wipeout I've played for hours not a bother.
    Driveclub demo I felt I'll but the actual game I was fine.
    And GT sport is great with the wheel.

coolisin wrote: »
    And GT sport is great with the wheel.

still waiting for a sale on this one... it's literally just tracks with no other cars right?

So essentially just like racing your ghost

mrcheez wrote: »
    still waiting for a sale on this one... it's literally just tracks with no other cars right?

So essentially just like racing your ghost

One AI car I think. The VR is short but to actually drive an F1 car in VR worth it!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

seems to be a new 'i expect you to die' level out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I got that Sparc game. You throw a ball around. Decided to brave multiplayer and played a few matches. Only realised the mic possibly could have been on after (really hope it's not the default) . Some poor craytur listening to me yelling ahhh it bounced what's going on ahh i got one

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

bluewolf wrote: »
    I got that Sparc game. You throw a ball around. Decided to brave multiplayer and played a few matches. Only realised the mic possibly could have been on after (really hope it's not the default) . Some poor craytur listening to me yelling ahhh it bounced what's going on ahh i got one

:pac: The mic is on unless set it to off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

bluewolf wrote: »

Whenever I went on I struggled to get online games. Where they with randomers or pre-arranged?

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Whenever I went on I struggled to get online games. Where they with randomers or pre-arranged?

One randomer - i enabled the cross platform search. We played a few matches then i waved goodbye at them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Golem got a patch that fixed a lot of the issues that some had, I personally didn't have any. Can now even use the Navigation Controller from PS3 to move around.

Full smooth turning and a possible Hard difficulty may be added in a future update.

Corholio wrote: »
    Golem got a patch that fixed a lot of the issues that some had, I personally didn't have any. Can now even use the Navigation Controller from PS3 to move around.

Full smooth turning and a possible Hard difficulty may be added in a future update.

How are you finding it so far? Worth picking up? Reviews are very mixed to say the least, from masterpiece, to piece of #### :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

How are you finding it so far? Worth picking up? Reviews are very mixed to say the least, from masterpiece, to piece of #### :confused:

It looks like pure ****e from the gameplay I've seen of it! :D Have my eye on Espire V1 for christmas but I won't be touching it until it gets patched (some serious issues with the PSVR version at the moment apparently).

It looks like pure ****e from the gameplay I've seen of it! :D Have my eye on Espire V1 for christmas but I won't be touching it until it gets patched (some serious issues with the PSVR version at the moment apparently).

Heard the same re Espire, looks like it has potential though.

One I'm keeping my eye on is Pistol Whip, out on other VR formats, PSVR release date I don't think announced yet. Looks cool from some gameplay clips I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I personally love it. Beautiful looking game, combat is fluid and reactive, trickier as it goes on too. It might feel sparse to some because there's not 'loads' of enemies but it's a good mix of exploration and combat when it's needed to progress (with the masks) The recent patch fixed a lot of the things it got marked down for in some reviews too, the head movement control, unable to properly look around etc.

I think it depends what someone may be looking for. It's a more patient game than the hordes of wave shooters and rhythm games.

Espire 1 is shocking at the moment. They outsourced PSVR port to another studio and it's almost unplayable in parts. Wouldn't touch it until it's heavily patched.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,430 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I had a go at my friend's pc vr setup. We had a few rounds of super hot and i absolutely loved it. Instantly looked up the PSVR and see i missed it on sale for 200 euro, back up to 300 now. Can anyone remember if it went back down over Christmas last year?

I don't think it went back down last year, at least not to the black Friday/Cyber Monday prices. There were some decent bundles in Smyths though if I remember correctly.

I don't think it went back down last year, at least not to the black Friday/Cyber Monday prices. There were some decent bundles in Smyths though if I remember correctly.

Thanks, will just keep an eye out so.

Spotted this on Amazon Italy for 200 euro, very tempted but might wait to see if i can get it for the same price locally over Christmas or New year, not sure yet.

Are the nice controllers essential? They're fair expensive but i really want to get super hot, blood and truth and beat saber si I'm guessing it's needed for those. Anyone on here get good use out of the vr with just the DS controller?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Spotted this on Amazon Italy for 200 euro, very tempted but might wait to see if i can get it for the same price locally over Christmas or New year, not sure yet.

Are the nice controllers essential? They're fair expensive but i really want to get super hot, blood and truth and beat saber si I'm guessing it's needed for those. Anyone on here get good use out of the vr with just the DS controller?

Beat Saber and Super Hot need the move controllers, Blood and Truth doesn't require them but I couldn't imagine playing it without the move controllers.

Advertisement