Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Washing Machine Mystery

Options
  • 21-07-2020 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,

I am totally lost as to what has happened to my washing machine after a recent repair by a local guy.

1. The washing machine was run with a load (as normal)
    2. The door wouldn't open. Clothes were stuck inside.
    3. Found a local guy that fixes washing machines to take a look. He came out and said the handle needs a new part. I asked him to get the part and fix it.
    4. A load was run again by my daughter on the two days before he arrived. This was to give the clothes a fresh wash before he arrived to fix it.
    5. He came, completed the job and left. When I arrived home, I saw that the rubber inside the washing machine was pulled out on one side.
    6. When I tried to use the washing machine, it spun once, the drum hopped around and it stopped.
    7. I took a photo and sent him the photo and he said "that looks like the bearings could be gone, and that's probably what caused the catch in the handle to break".

It's very strange that before he came to fix the handle, the machine was spinning fine.

I'm also very surprised that he never made me aware if the rubber hanging out as it was glaringly obvious.

Can anyone solve this mystery?

(I will try and post a photo).

Thanks,
    James.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

It is not a total mystery, what has happened your washer is either the suspension springs that hold up the drum one of them has either snapped or has come out of place where it is normally located, the lid needs removing to see what has happened

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Was the rubber seal pulled aside at the point where the door latch catches?

I would say he pulled it aside to access and change the catch and he forgot to fit it back. The drum then jammed on the rubber seal.

Ask him directly what part he changed and then ask him did he have to pull the seal aside to replace it. Then tell him to get his ass back and fix his f-up as your machine was spinning fine before he went near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jamesryan81

Was the rubber seal pulled aside at the point where the door latch catches?

I would say he pulled it aside to access and change the catch and he forgot to fit it back. The drum then jammed on the rubber seal.

Ask him directly what part he changed and then ask him did he have to pull the seal aside to replace it. Then tell him to get his ass back and fix his f-up as your machine was spinning fine before he went near it.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I just checked the photo (I can't upload photos on boards as I'm new), and the rubber is pulled away at the 11 o'clock position. It therefore doesn't appear to be near the catch.

At this stage it wasn't worth the hassle with no evidence, and my sister didn't have the warm and fuzzies about that repair guy, so she had to get a new machine in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jamesryan81

It is not a total mystery, what has happened your washer is either the suspension springs that hold up the drum one of them has either snapped or has come out of place where it is normally located, the lid needs removing to see what has happened

Thanks for the reply. The mystery is that it was spinning fine before he came. In the end, the sister wanted no more hassle and just got a new machine.

Advertisement