Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Elite

Options
  • 23-11-2015 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Did anyone play Elite in their youth? What a great game for that time.

Heard rumours it may be back - obviously with better graphics than the original.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Haven't played any of the Elite games, but Elite Dangerous Was released about a year ago:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/359320/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I played it on the BBC-B and Spectrum at the time of its original release, and a fantastic game it was, and remains.
    It gave inspiration to other games that took adventuring on a 3d path, the likes of the Mercenary for example.

Elite Dangerous is out on the XB1 and PC as far as I know and is very good indeed, with VR headset support baked in, on the PC at least.
    It's quite impressive but a little too freeform for a lot of modern players, meaning the player kinda decides the stuff they want to do.

No Man's Sky is on the way for the PS4 and is attempting something similar, although it includes first person walking around planet surfaces and some blasting down there, little has been seen beyond controlled demos so we are all in the dark as to how good it'll be.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

My brother and I, played Elite on the C64...Have to say it was one of the best games I have ever played.........
    I remember my brother getting promoted to the commander level and then, he went to save to tape.......The C64 hung and wrote over his save game...Had to use my save game as he did not want to start from scratch.

I do remember him kicking the C64 across the room, when it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

You mean there was more to Elite than getting the lenslok to work ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think there were cracked versions floating around that had lenslok removed.
    I also recall coloured in copies of the Jet Set Willy code card, as found in the cassette case.... good times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Remember colouring them in at school, bloody tedious job !!

Remember colouring them in at school, bloody tedious job !!

But then, there was the entertainment of saying the word "Willy".... snigger....

Elite on the C64, not sure it ran better than the Spectrum one, but it did have the Blue Danube playing as you docked with a space station, which made you feel just like these guys

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Been playing Elite D on and off for the last year..feckin amazing with the occulus and a proper stick and throttle

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Been playing Elite D on and off for the last year..feckin amazing with the occulus and a proper stick and throttle

Sadly I shall only have a XB1, so no fancy smancy headsets for me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Reduced by 67% down to €12.37 on shteam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/359320/

There's some No Man's Sky beating DLC on the way for Elite: Dangerous too, cleverly called Elite: Dangerous Expansions.
    It's going to allow for landings and the use of vehicles on the ground.
    It'll include the multiplayer operation of capital ships, as well as zero g eva and hijacking of other players.
    There'll be structures in orbit, deep space and planetside to explore.
    And it's supposed to be coming to the XB1 edition, as well as PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I tried elite but i was a lil to young to play it, trying to dock at the space station usually resulted in death.

When the sequel frontier elite came along i was just the right age though ! It was a brilliant game and fleshed out elite alot. My favorite features were.
    The ability to land on planets
    The fact it had real stars (sol, barnards star, alpha cenuri etc)
    The varity of ships and how cool they looked.
    The music !

• Registered Users Posts: 30 CarolynSmith

Wow I loved Elite back in the day on the BBC Micro Model B and did not even realise that it was out under Elite Dangerous. Bring on the Thargoids once more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 CarolynSmith

Wow I loved Elite back in the day on the BBC Micro Model B and did not even realise that it was out under Elite Dangerous. Bring on the Thargoids once more!!

Any idea when it's out for xbox one?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

BBC B, and Acorn Electron version - black and white lines, it was my favourite game.

Thargoids and witchspace was excellent!

Might be an idea to try the second and third Elite titles as well, which work via Dosbox
    http://www.sharoma.com/frontierverse/game.htm

As far as I know this version is legal, it is linked from the official Elite Frontier site,
    It is a version of Elite Frontier that works straight on Windows.
    http://tom.noflag.org.uk/glfrontier.html

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

I'm playing OOLite, a public domain clone, as I speak, about to hyperspace to USUSOR.

Advertisement