Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does anyone else find the whole Facebook ads / fake news "scandal" moronic?

2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Doltanian wrote: »
    Western Media is entirely controlled by vested interests and everything in the mass media is a Marxist mouthpiece pushing leftwing liberalism and political correctness. Breitbart, Fox News and the Far-Right are the only ones telling the truth at the moment. Facebook is only whingeing because they think Trump may have gained some advantage off it.

Well it's working on you anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'm gonna be wearing my smug 'I deleted my facebook years ago' hat for about a year now.

My smug, 'never had a Facebook account' hat is bigger than yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I feel sorry for the kids born to parents who track everything they do on social media.
    Imagine the targeted ads when they turn 7,12, 16, 18, 21. All because their parents started throwing up videos and pictures from birth.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Not saying the Russians invented fake news but they're very good at it. Going back to the 20s they'd produce doctored photos showing glorious leader Stalin at the forefront of the October Revoloution in places he haven't even been and erasing images of Trotsky when he fell out of favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I deactivated my account recently, not out of any security concerns. I just find it a complete time waste where I'd go on it and read pointless articles and end up getting nothing done. Plus the upcoming referendum is going to a sh1tshow on it and I've no interest in reading about it everyday for the next few months or having people on it harangue me to vote one way or another. As long as I know that the people I like are all still alive, that's enough for me. I don't really need to know the daily minutiae of their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Mark Henderson

Obama does it = Genius demigod.

Trump does it = Evil racist warmonger.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Obama does it = Genius demigod.

Trump does it = Evil racist warmonger.

an administration is more than just one person, at least obama has some sort of intelligence

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I think it's probably stupid to look at these CA cowboys and say they significantly swayed the outcome.

But I think the question is less about 'Facebook and these data analytics consultants made Trump and Brexit happen' and more the question of informed consent. What does it mean when you click agree on a web form.

Whether it be Clinton or Obama or Trump you may or may not be thrilled to learn that some cowboys in a London office scrapped your profile an used it to build out data models which helped in a politician's campaign. The thing about Trump is it's very easy to get people inflamed over Trump, so this is maybe the first big wake up call that your data can be used for causes that aren't in your interest.

It's not just Facebook either. Lots of small startups will mine their customers data and hope to sell it off. It's a wild west out there and it's gotten this way because nobody has taken tracking seriously up until now. Not really. Not even when the big Snowden expose happened. People just didn't care.

I hope this is a big watershed for the tech and social media industries. They simply do not need to be hoarding all this data. Privacy isn't just this tin-foil thing for tech geeks to worry about. It's real and it has implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Facebook has become far to powerful for its own good and Mr Zuckerberg needs a Morgan Freeman beside him to say "this is too much power for one man". Unfortunately Mr Zuckerberg doesn't have the moral compass of Batman.

Let's get one thing straight though, the only reason why there is media outrage is because the wrong team won. If Hillary Clinton won that election, there would be the Obama response "intelligently using social media". It took the Donald winning the election to sort this out.

Back to Mr Zuckerberg, what's worrying is that he could extend his power to choose who he wants to win an Election, and as I said this is far too much power for one man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Another point separate to my above post. I am very critical of the EU and generally want it disbanded. I am regularly targeted by Pro-EU ads on Instagram. If it transpires that the EU are using a system like this, then that is very, very worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Tl;dr - reputable news websites are for serious business. Social media is for cat videos, party photos, and time-wasting memes. Ignore this, and it's your own damn fault if you end up voting for someone you otherwise wouldn't have.

In my day we had slrn for discussion forums and bitchX for chat and even back then there were plenty of internet hoaxes. People knew to be sceptical and even parents who had never been online knew that you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. At least back then, it was mostly students, academics and middle-class teens online.

Fast forward 20 years and now every fúcking moron in the world is online and the state of it reflects that. It's a shítshow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Facebook has become far to powerful for its own good and Mr Zuckerberg needs a Morgan Freeman beside him to say "this is too much power for one man". Unfortunately Mr Zuckerberg doesn't have the moral compass of Batman.

Let's get one thing straight though, the only reason why there is media outrage is because the wrong team won. If Hillary Clinton won that election, there would be the Obama response "intelligently using social media". It took the Donald winning the election to sort this out.

Back to Mr Zuckerberg, what's worrying is that he could extend his power to choose who he wants to win an Election, and as I said this is far too much power for one man.

It is frightening that facebook were allowed to buy whatsapp; the monopoly on user data is scandalous. If a government collected as much data as Facebook has there would be riots. I just do not understand how Facebook and the AAG companies have been allowed to coninously grow and Hoover wealth out of the economy. They are a cancer to capitalism. This data scandal is only the tip of the iceberg.

People suddenly remember that Facebook is a business despite what it purports to claim and despite how it insulated itself with liberal thinking sheep as employees who think they are making a difference to the world or working at the forefront of technology in a “bettering humanity” manner!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,050 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Another point separate to my above post. I am very critical of the EU and generally want it disbanded. I am regularly targeted by Pro-EU ads on Instagram. If it transpires that the EU are using a system like this, then that is very, very worrying.

But you'd be fine with your side doing it?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

endacl wrote: »
    More to the point, idiots with a vote. I’m aware of a young lady who swears by putting sliced onions in her socks whenever she gets a cold. Because she read it on the internet. Even tracing the source of the bull5hit, and showing her the source, and explaining how there is no mechanism whereby onions under your feet can have any effect whatsoever on a virus in the respiratory system, she still swears by cold-bustin’ sock onions.

I’m honestly not that bothered about protecting idiots. I am interested in protecting the systems whereby we make collective decisions that effect all of us, though.
    The Placebo effect in action.

She probably does feel relief by putting onions in her socks because her mind is totally convinced that it's a legimate treatment for colds.

The mind is truly a powerful force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

But you'd be fine with your side doing it?

Well it's a bit different when citizens are funding that campaign
    You can choose not to donate to the democrats or republicans or labour (exception being union members) Vs conservatives, you can't choose that none of your tax goes to the EU and is then allocated to a PR dept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

darkdubh wrote: »
    You think the entire mainstream Western Media is represented by the Daily Mail?

No. As I said it was just one example, by which I meant one example of old media sources spreading false information to push an agenda.

While there are dissenting voices in our media you'll find them pushed to the margins in crucial issues at crucial times when dubious decisions get railroaded through.

I actually find the internet far better as a source of news provided one is sceptical. Access to a huge variety of sources in old and new media, including the FT and Der Spiegel, in addition to commentary is far superior to Noel Whelan presenting the latest from the FF press office in the Irish Times and Dobbo hawking the government line on RTE. All this Fake News scare is just parts of old media and the establishment they support terrified that the plebs aren't listening to their betters anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

One thing I hate, semi related.

Couples who plaster pictures of their children online.

It's incredibly unfair on the kid in question because now you have an internet presence and personal data about yourself online, thanks to your idiot fùck parents, without ever consenting to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

You should try watching news from multiple sources and see how they handle each story. They all have an agenda, it just varies based on their political leanings.

The mainstream media are not the paragon of journalistic integrity. They have become very lazy researching stories and flat out not reporting issues that are politically inconvenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

To be fair, both sides were at it.

http://time.com/4560707/donald-trump-election-loss-rigged/

Trump was banging on about both a rigged election AND the possibility of impeachment if Hillary won.

He was dismissed, of course.

Then almost immediately after his win the opposition are losing their minds over the possibility that the election was rigged and taking bets on how quickly Trump will be impeached.

Both sides have obviously been considering these "angles" before the votes were even counted.

Fake News is treated the same way offside or penalty decisions are treated in a Man U vs Liverpool match. If the decision is against Us then we are outraged and the referee is a w@nker. If the decision is against Them then that's just the way the game goes boys.

If you're going to state an opinion that I don't like then you're a bot or a troll or both. If you're going to state an opinion that I do like then I'm going to share and retweet.

If a news story looks suspect and I don't agree with their agenda then it's Fake News. If a news story looks suspicious but I feel their on my side then I'm OK with it, it's Real News.

The media on all sides has been leaving out facts, twisting words or outright lying for generations. A little half truth here, a little turn of phrase there.

Is there anyone who didn't know this?

Both sides have been doing it for decades and they are still doing it now, all while pointing at the other side.

It's laughable.

Really, the best we can hope for is that we ride out the 4 years of Trump as US president without these clowns, who can't handle the fact that he won because he was better than Clinton, destroying the usefulness and fun of social media.

As someone living in Ireland who has experienced exactly zero real consequences of Trump being elected I have to say that the whole thing has just sucked the fun out of online interactions.

I'm just going to copy the OP directly. It pisses me off that cool, fun things on the internet might be about to get ruined, regulated or shut down because there are too many morons who aren't capable of understanding the principle that the internet is not necessarily a reliable source of information about current affairs, and that social media is explicitly designed for soapboxing and advertising - not giving an accurate or balanced picture of world events.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

If you prevented some people from filling up the surveys, by physically restraining them from the keyboard, you'd have stab wounds afterwards..

What amuses me is that Facebook isn't sorry about the recent events, they're sorry that they were caught out/people took notice. The arrangement with CA is very much facebook's bread and butter, there's a lot of very 'grey' arrangements with governments across the world, including social welfare services in this country too, allegedly.

This is Facebook's bread and butter, 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The Placebo effect in action.

She probably does feel relief by putting onions in her socks because her mind is totally convinced that it's a legimate treatment for colds.

The mind is truly a powerful force.

Nah. Her colds last the same length of time they always have.

Advertisement