Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eurovision 2018

Options
  • 16-10-2017 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭

Eurovision 2018 will be held in Lisbon, Portugal after Salvador Sobral's 'Amor Pelos Dois'.

The contest will be held in the MEO Arena on the 8,10 and 12 of May 2018.

So far the only entrant announced is Laura Groeseneken of Belgium, from Flanders.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Tickets on sale November 30th for the final

• Registered Users Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭An tUasal C

43 countries competing, including the return of Russia.

‘All Aboard’ is the logo.
    3b22be7636a403209684929df1ad6e71?w=1280

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Australia taking part for the fourth consecutive year. I think it's great. :D;)

They're sending another indigenous singer:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42310081

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Booked flights and accommodation! Now all I need is tickets! lol

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Can't believe we're into Eurovision season again! First song from the class of 2018 is from, as usual, Albania. Picked two days before Christmas, expect a significant revamp by the time it gets to Lisbon, they need to cut about 90 seconds from the song. Either way I can't see it doing much at Eurovision, on first impressions it sounds as if Albania will be staying in the semi's again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Booked flights and accommodation! Now all I need is tickets! lol

Lucky you! Eurovision is definitely on my bucket list, would love to go some day.
    Australia taking part for the fourth consecutive year. I think it's great. :D;)

They're sending another indigenous singer:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42310081

I like what Australia bring to the competition, but I'll be honest and day I'll hate it when they inevitably win. The pan-European backlash won't be pretty either. I also really dislike the way fans were pretty much lied to first day ever, being told the Australia were a "guest" entry, when it was patently obvious that they were always here to stay.

I like what Australia bring to the competition, but I'll be honest and day I'll hate it when they inevitably win. The pan-European backlash won't be pretty either. I also really dislike the way fans were pretty much lied to first day ever, being told the Australia were a "guest" entry, when it was patently obvious that they were always here to stay.

All fair points. And I don't think anyone can disagree that at least some of the novelty has already worn off, with the rest to follow eventually.

Heathers are reportedly being lined up by RTE to represent us. Wouldn't be a terrible choice, I guess?

It had escaped my attention that Jessica Mauboy was representing Australia, that's a good choice. Also, Waylon (one half of the Common Linnets) is back to represent The Netherlands.

Still only the one song revealed, which feels a bit odd at this stage, although France will be revealing on Saturday while both the Czech Republic and Spain next Monday.

Here are the UK hopefuls and their songs:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42800985

To me Astronaut sounds like the one with the most potential to do well by far. A lot of early hype about Legends but I think it's a total mess, plus there's no real chorus?

• Advertisement

France has chosen their song:

It's 2/3 of a very solid entry; I want to like it more but sadly it loses momentum towards the end and becomes very repetitive.
    Hopefully they'll revamp the ending between now and the contest (and by "revamp" I don't mean "add some dodgy English lyrics"!!)

The allocation for the semi-finals was made today. Ireland will be performing in the first semi-final this year, on Tuesday 8th May. We won't know exact running order until much closer to the time but we do know Ireland will be performing in the second half of the show:

Here's who we're up against:
    First Half
    Albania
    Azerbaijan
    Belarus
    Belgium
    Bulgaria
    Czech Republic
    Estonia
    Iceland
    Israel
    Lithuania

Second Half
    Armenia
    Austria
    Croatia
    Cyprus
    Finland
    FYR Macedonia
    Greece
    Ireland
    Switzerland

And we know two of the songs we'll be up against:

Albania:

Hard to judge this one, will probably be revamped a lot before the contest (it needs a good minute and a half shaved off it, for starters!)
    It's not a bad song but it takes a while to get going. May be forgotten about by the end of the night, though his vocal should earn him some jury points.

Czech Republic:

Very American-sounding. Almost Bieber-esque.* Definitely not my cup of tea but it is quite contemporary; I could imagine hearing it on a night out (albeit at a not-very-good club! :p ) Could do very well if the staging and live vocal are strong, will flop otherwise.

*yeah yeah, I know he's Canadian but the point still stands! :pac:

Also the UK will be voting in the first semi-final, along with the host country and Spain.

No doubt Marty Whelan will be even more hopeful that Ireland will make it to the final for the first time in five years... ;)

I think that Czech entry is quite alright actually! Will definitely get them their best result so far, although that wouldn't be hard.

I think the French one is ok, but a big step down on the last couple of years. I think having no English will hurt it as well, despite the fact that a completely non-English track won last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

I think the French one is ok, but a big step down on the last couple of years. I think having no English will hurt it as well, despite the fact that a completely non-English track won last year.

+1 not the same caliber as Alma or Amir but I think they'll polish the song a good bit before May rolls around. Gets better the more I listen to it.

Saw Amir was one of the judges. Like his newer song États d'amour.

Heathers are reportedly being lined up by RTE to represent us. Wouldn't be a terrible choice, I guess?

Very good news! Something in the style of "Forget Me Knots" would get the crowd moving.

Yulia Samoylova doesn't have any "visa issues" with Portugal, so she's confirmed to represent Russia. :)

That's genuinely a surprise about Yulia. In spite of what they promised I didn't think she had a hope of going to Lisbon.

Spain

Not too bad, but probably mid table at best.

Not too bad, but probably mid table at best.

Very romantic and oozing with chemistry. I'm a sucker for couple duets like that. Nothing beats last year's Romanian couple though. :P

Much better entry than last year's surfer boy, but Barei is still best.

Not a winner but high end of the mid-table for me.

• Advertisement

Czech Republic:

Very American-sounding. Almost Bieber-esque.* Definitely not my cup of tea but it is quite contemporary; I could imagine hearing it on a night out (albeit at a not-very-good club! :p ) Could do very well if the staging and live vocal are strong, will flop otherwise.

I didn't like this on first listen but it's growing on me. Live vocals was my concern too but check him out in this acoustic version - not bad!

Got my tickets for Ireland’s semis!

Wow, fair play :) How much?

Got my tickets for Ireland’s semis!

CONGRATS! I got mine this morning for the Semi Final 2 Family Rehearsal. My first in-person Eurovision experience! :D

30 Euros each for Premium Balcony Level 1. Looks like good seats.

source.gif

Wow, fair play :) How much?

50 live show standing

Already some San Remo buzz in the air. I'm very glad to see Annalisa leading a Wiwibloggs poll.

2h5lehl.png

Super talented lady with a strong voice that's all over my Spotify playlist. She's long overdue for a shot at Eurovision. Only problem is she has two tour dates for her new album during Eurovision week. I wonder if she'd cancel and accept Eurovision instead if she wins?

Oh those eyes! :D

30u8d2b.png

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭dogcat

The Sun has reported that The Heathers were initially planned on going for Ireland, however, RTÉ changed their mind at the last minute when The Heathers refused to change their song to a song wanted by RTÉ. They now allege that the participant will be a male.

Rumoured that Ryan O'Shaughnessy will be Ireland's act. Wouldn't be terrible if true, although obviously depends heavily on the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,184 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Rumoured that Ryan O'Shaughnessy will be Ireland's act. Wouldn't be terrible if true, although obviously depends heavily on the song.

Twitter seems to be pointing that way!
    He has a big announcement!

• Advertisement

dogcat wrote: »
    ...RTÉ changed their mind at the last minute when The Heathers refused to change their song to a song wanted by RTÉ.

I already had lots of respect for Heathers and now it has grown. Can imagine the poor girls locked in a room as Louis Walsh tries to force the RTÉ song on them. *shivers*

Had my first listen to Ryan O'Shaughnessy on Spotify -- emotional lyrics from real-life experiences. Seems like a very confident performer, would be a great pick! An uptempo song like The News, Before the Sun Sets, and Sofa Bed is what he should take to Eurovision.

https://twitter.com/Ryan_Acoustic/status/958410892575756288

Advertisement