Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have a cheque or draft question?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Got55,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie.

You should've received the cheque within 3-5 days. We'd suggest contacting customer services to see if it's been returned to you or contact the person who issued the cheque to ask them to cancel it and issue a new one.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Manero

Hi there,

This may have been asked already but I'm just looking for confirmation.

How long will it take for a cheque from a UK bank(Barclays) to clear in my BOI account?
    The cheque was made out to Euros € and I lodged it to my BOI account through an in branch ATM last Monday 28-May.

Is this cheque treated as any non-domestic cheque, i.e. 4-5 weeks?

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi Manero,

Thanks for your post here on Boards.

Yes it would take up to 6 weeks for the clearing process then you will see the cheque lodged and the funds will be avail.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Kareana

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Hi,

I have a BOI cheque that is dated on the 2nd of December. Is there a time limit on cheques to cash? I cannot really go back to the person about this cheque if it isn't valid anymore.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi barry181091

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

The cheque is valid only for a 6 month period from the date it's written, sorry as it's past this time limit we would not be able to accept it.

Any further questions please feel free to get back to us,

Many Thanks
    Alison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

Hi there
    Our local credit union closed down last year and issued a cheque for my savings amount. The cheque is dated Oct 2017 so I think it's now stale (never got around to cashing it)

It's issued from the Central Bank. Do I need to get it reissued or could I still lodge it to my account?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi there,

As the cheque would've gone out of date in April, you'll need to contact the issuer to request a new one.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FrancescoB

Hello, when you say cheque from outside republic of Ireland may take longer, how long time do you exactly mean? I lodged a cashier cheque for 33.500 euros the 7th of August , I was told in the branch that it can take 4 to 6 weeks to clear, before lodging the cheque I was given al document to read where it's written 6 to 8 weeks time to clear a foreign cheque.  Now we got over the 8 weeks, i call and all they can say is that they are checking with the international department,  this is for 10 days already, so i must assume that there's no communication if the international department doesn't answer, it's like saying that a company calls his office and they don't answer!!!! I believe it's my right to know where my money are exactly and seems there's no way to know it. If I was informed that there's no time or policy to clear a cheque i wouldn't have deposit it. How do I know where my money are? I need my funds and I should know the situation in details. Thank you in advance for your answer 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

FrancescoB wrote: »
    Hello, when you say cheque from outside republic of Ireland may take longer, how long time do you exactly mean? I lodged a cashier cheque for 33.500 euros the 7th of August , I was told in the branch that it can take 4 to 6 weeks to clear, before lodging the cheque I was given al document to read where it's written 6 to 8 weeks time to clear a foreign cheque.  Now we got over the 8 weeks, i call and all they can say is that they are checking with the international department,  this is for 10 days already, so i must assume that there's no communication if the international department doesn't answer, it's like saying that a company calls his office and they don't answer!!!! I believe it's my right to know where my money are exactly and seems there's no way to know it. If I was informed that there's no time or policy to clear a cheque i wouldn't have deposit it. How do I know where my money are? I need my funds and I should know the situation in details. Thank you in advance for your answer 

Hi FrancescoB,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

I can confirm that the clearance time frame for foreign currency cheques would usually be between 6 to 8 weeks. If you have now gone past this time frame I'd ask you to raise this through the "Ask a question" section within the "Service Desk" tab of your 365 online profile and the advisers there will be more than happy to have a look into this transaction on your account to see what information is available on the cheque.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FrancescoB

Thanks Darren, I already did what you suggested but they have no infos,  they gave me the number of the branch manager who said he's contacting the international department without success,  I won't comment on this, I am more than sure that there's no need for it. I put a complaint I'll see if and what they answer in any case it's ridiculous that I lodge a cheque and I can't know about my money. Nothing personal I know you do your job. Could you kindly send me the link where i can find your policy for foreign cheque?

Best regards 

Francesco 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

FrancescoB wrote: »
    Thanks Darren, I already did what you suggested but they have no infos,  they gave me the number of the branch manager who said he's contacting the international department without success,  I won't comment on this, I am more than sure that there's no need for it. I put a complaint I'll see if and what they answer in any case it's ridiculous that I lodge a cheque and I can't know about my money. Nothing personal I know you do your job. Could you kindly send me the link where i can find your policy for foreign cheque?

Best regards 

Francesco 

Thanks for getting back to us FarancescoB,
    We wouldn't have a link with this information available. Please be assured that as soon as the complaints team have investigated into this they will contact you directly.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 craig1863

I currently have an uncleared cheque in my account, which I do not expect to clear for at least another 2 days. It's an insurance firm (RSA) cheque which is due to be paid to builders for work performed under a claim. They are wanting their money before clearance. Can I withdraw funds from an uncleared cheque without penalty, or can I go back to the builders and tell them they have to wait - no choice?

Thanks
    Craig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

craig1863 wrote: »
    I currently have an uncleared cheque in my account, which I do not expect to clear for at least another 2 days. It's an insurance firm (RSA) cheque which is due to be paid to builders for work performed under a claim. They are wanting their money before clearance. Can I withdraw funds from an uncleared cheque without penalty, or can I go back to the builders and tell them they have to wait - no choice?

Thanks
    Craig

Hi Craig,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. All cheques do need to be cleared before you have access to the funds. Please be advised that if it is a Bank of Ireland cheque this will be cleared within 3 working days however if the cheque is issued from another bank within the Republic of Ireland it can take up to 5 working days before the funds are cleared and available in your account.

Thanks Jen

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jotspur

I have a cheque from Red C Live that was issued just over 6 months ago. Have I left it too late to lodge it to my current account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi jotspur,

Thank you for getting in touch with us here.

If the cheque was issued over six months ago you will need to get it reissued.

Thanks,

Lorna

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Fooddestroyer

Hi All,

We've been getting a few queries on cheques recently so we thought it would be useful to put up some general information about cheques and hopefully this can be some help to all of you.

Clearance times:

• Cheques from the same branch that they are lodged can take up to two days.
    • Cheques from another Bank of Ireland branch can take up to three working days.
    • Cheques from any other Banks can take up to five working days.
    • Cheques from outside the Republic of Ireland may take longer.

[*]

Standard Cheques (Does not have an account payee only on cheque and is not crossed):[/font]
    • If the cheque is made out to one person it can be lodged into a joint account once it is endorsed (Endorsed means that the person who the cheque is made out to signs the back of the cheque and confirm the account number that the cheque is being lodged into).
    • The cheque can be lodged into a third party account once the cheque has been endorsed.
    • The cheque can only be cashed in the branch it was drawn on and you must have photo ID and all criteria must be met (ie cleared funds available, no stops and correctly signed and completed).

[*]

Crossed cheques (two parallel lines written or printed anywhere on the cheque):

• All rules would be the same as a Standard Cheque, Apart from it can only be lodged into an account and cannot be cashed in any branch of Bank of Ireland.

[*]

Account Payee only (This would be said after the payee name on the cheque):

• A cheque made payable to one person can be lodged in to a joint account once it has been endorsed by the person who the cheque is made payable too.
    • If the cheque is made payable to two people this will need to lodged to a joint account in both people's names.
    • The cheque cannot be lodged into a third party account (even if it is endorsed).
    • The cheque cannot be cashed in any branch.

[*]

Bank Drafts:

• Bank Drafts must be lodged to accounts as if they are crossed cheques.
    • The clearance time for drafts is five working days.

• If you have a cheque in your married name and your account is in your maiden name, in most cases this can be lodged once the customer brings some Photo ID and their marriage certificate.
    • Social Welfare cheques can only be cashed in the Post Office (with a maximum amount of 1200.00). The sort code on these cheques do relate to O'Connell St but this is purely for processing reasons and these cheques cannot be cashed in this or any branch of Bank of Ireland.

[*]

If you have any further queries please get in contact with us here.

Thank you,

Darren.
    [*]
    Hello Darren and Team!

I have a few cheques from Dept. of Employment Affairs and Social Protection building up that I need to address.

The cheques appear to Standard Cheques (not crossed, with '& Co.' instead), and 'drawn' from BOI O'Connell Street.

1. Should I understand from your information above that I could take them to O'Connell Street BOI with photo ID and cash them?
    2. Is there a maximum number of cheques, or amount of €uro that could be cashed in one day?

Thanks.

Hi Fooddestroyer

Thanks for checking here with us today.

I'm afraid the cheques will need to be lodged to a bank account. These type of cheques will show O'Connell St Branch, this is for processing purposes only.

(Social Welfare cheques can only be cashed in the Post Office (with a maximum amount of 1200.00). The sort code on these cheques do relate to O'Connell St but this is purely for processing reasons and these cheques cannot be cashed in this or any branch of Bank of Ireland.)

Many thanks
    Alison

Thanks Alison.

In relation to lodging cheques into a bank account then,

1. Can the cheques be lodged into another persons bank account if I sign/endorse them?

2. Does this other person's receiving bank account have to be a special type of bank account? Or more specifically, can this person's bank account be a non-resident bank account?

FD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Thanks Fooddestroyer for coming back to us.

These type of cheques can only be lodged into an account in the persons name written on the cheque.

Just also to add, a cheque is valid for 6 months from the date written on the cheque. If it's past this date, you would need to ask for cheque to be reissued.

Many thanks
    Alison

These type of cheques can only be lodged into an account in the persons name written on the cheque.

Just also to add, a cheque is valid for 6 months from the date written on the cheque. If it's past this date, you would need to ask for cheque to be reissued.

Many thanks
    Alison
    Thanks Alison.

In relation to your earlier reply regarding cashing Social Welfare cheques at the post office: "(Social Welfare cheques can only be cashed in the Post Office (with a maximum amount of 1200.00)"

What is the procedure for doing this? 

• Advertisement

It might be best to get in touch directly with your local Post Office, they can advise the type of identification they will require to allow you to cash the cheques and/or any restrictions or limits that may apply.

Many thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sasha2377

Hi All,

We've been getting a few queries on cheques recently so we thought it would be useful to put up some general information about cheques and hopefully this can be some help to all of you.

Clearance times:

• Cheques from the same branch that they are lodged can take up to two days.
    • Cheques from another Bank of Ireland branch can take up to three working days.
    • Cheques from any other Banks can take up to five working days.
    • Cheques from outside the Republic of Ireland may take longer.

[*]

Standard Cheques (Does not have an account payee only on cheque and is not crossed):[/font]
    • If the cheque is made out to one person it can be lodged into a joint account once it is endorsed (Endorsed means that the person who the cheque is made out to signs the back of the cheque and confirm the account number that the cheque is being lodged into).
    • The cheque can be lodged into a third party account once the cheque has been endorsed.
    • The cheque can only be cashed in the branch it was drawn on and you must have photo ID and all criteria must be met (ie cleared funds available, no stops and correctly signed and completed).

[*]

Crossed cheques (two parallel lines written or printed anywhere on the cheque):

• All rules would be the same as a Standard Cheque, Apart from it can only be lodged into an account and cannot be cashed in any branch of Bank of Ireland.

[*]

Account Payee only (This would be said after the payee name on the cheque):

• A cheque made payable to one person can be lodged in to a joint account once it has been endorsed by the person who the cheque is made payable too.
    • If the cheque is made payable to two people this will need to lodged to a joint account in both people's names.
    • The cheque cannot be lodged into a third party account (even if it is endorsed).
    • The cheque cannot be cashed in any branch.

[*]

Bank Drafts:

• Bank Drafts must be lodged to accounts as if they are crossed cheques.
    • The clearance time for drafts is five working days.

• If you have a cheque in your married name and your account is in your maiden name, in most cases this can be lodged once the customer brings some Photo ID and their marriage certificate.
    • Social Welfare cheques can only be cashed in the Post Office (with a maximum amount of 1200.00). The sort code on these cheques do relate to O'Connell St but this is purely for processing reasons and these cheques cannot be cashed in this or any branch of Bank of Ireland.

[*]

If you have any further queries please get in contact with us here.

Thank you,

Darren.
    [*]
    Hi Darren,

I am confused on the 5 days clearance. Tomorrow will be Day 5 for our cheque clearance. We lodged last Thursday at 12pm.  I can not seem to get a straight answer on whether or not the funds will be available for use tomorrow. We are under pressure to close on a house contract and have to transfer funds to another account by Thursday.  Tomorrow is the absolute last day we have before we miss the deadline and incur penalties. We had to use a cheque as the other bank wouldn't transfer into our account directly. Please can you help? On Day 5, are the funds there if the cheque has been approve on Day 4?

Hi there Sasha2377,

Thanks for getting in touch.

You can view information on our cheque clearance process here.

Thanks,

Lorna

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

hi.
    do you have to be a boi account holder to purchase a bank draft.? i need to deposit cash into my bank but its cashless so can i buy the draft with the cash at any boi branch?

Hi reubenreuben

Thanks for your post this morning.

As the sale of the draft is transacted through a BOI account, yes  to purchase you would need to hold an account with us.

Hope this helps,

Many thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 1 michkeane

Hello,

I recently won some money from the Lottery. They sent me out a cheque, but I can't seem to lodge it at an ATM. The ATM said something about endorsing the cheque. I would appreciate some help with this.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We're sorry for the delay in response
    This means that you will need to sign the back of the cheque before lodging.

If we can help with anything else just give us a shout.

Thanks,

Lorna

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Can I lodge a bank draft from another bank (AIB) into an external lodgement ATM that accepts cash and cheques?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

Can I lodge a bank draft from another bank (AIB) into an external lodgement ATM that accepts cash and cheques?

Hi Prospector1989,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here today, nice to hear from you.

Yes this can be lodged using the external lodgement machine once this is being lodged into your own account.

I hope this helps and please feel free to get back in touch with us if we can help with anything else.

Thanks Jen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Hi Prospector1989,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here today, nice to hear from you.

Yes this can be lodged using the external lodgement machine once this is being lodged into your own account.

I hope this helps and please feel free to get back in touch with us if we can help with anything else.

Thanks Jen
    Thanks Jen, appreciate the quick response

Advertisement