Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork City Marathon 2019

• 21-03-2019 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭

Anybody else signed up to run Cork?

I'm signed up to do the full. Sounds like a bit of a sh1tshow from the organisers, they only recently posted on Facebook to confirm it's going ahead after a lot of runours circulating it was in trouble and they are looking for an event company to run it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Did the half 2 years ago, and was a disaster from the organisers. Sent us the wrong way at the start, heading in to the marathon runners. Added on bout 0.7 miles to the course

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I’d hate to see it go. Have done the full twice and put together a team for the relay last year which was great fun. It’s a super route in my opinion, full of variety - challenging but fair. The numbers doing the full seems to have been declining however, possibly due to the awkward time of year. I think people are choosing to do spring marathons abroad in greater numbers, possibly to the detriment of Cork’s June bank holiday date. It’s a well organized race as far as I can see - couple of problems with the half alright in recent years, but the ‘lesser’ race in simultaneous events often gets shorter shrift (like the 5 Mile that accompanies the Clontarf HM, or used to anyway). Cork has a fabulous road racing scene and it would be terrible to see the CCM go the way of Ballycotton (although the latter was arguably a victim of success, not failure).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

It would be a terrible shame to see it go. My hometown and marathon PB and so far only sub 3. They would want to decide what they are doing though and then do it properly. The year I ran the marathon I must say, it was very well organised. No complaints at all. But it's a bit of a mess with the Full/Half/Relay. I understand that if they haven't the numbers for the Full, then they have to spread the love. As Murph says, there's a great road race scene in Cork/Munster. I think they need to promote the bloody thing more. This means money, yes but c'mon use a bit of imagination as well. A few Facebook posts can't cost that much!

Scream out to people that this is THE marathon to do where you can train in the mild months of March/April/May.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Didn't hear those rumours about it being in trouble, must ask around. Signed up to run the half with a friend myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

opus wrote: »
    Didn't hear those rumours about it being in trouble, must ask around. Signed up to run the half with a friend myself.

I don't think it's actually in trouble just a damning indictment of how bad they are at promoting it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/2019/02/20/event-management-services/

See what you mean about bringing in an external provider to run the event. Good and bad, I guess. I bet the price will be increased for a start, and probably goodbye to the concession entry and generous deferral policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

I do either the full or the half here every year. It is a really good event. Great that you finish right in the centre of the city. Usually a good athmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Any indications yet on whether the courses are changing from last year?

I ran most of the course for the half on Saturday, no sign of the mile markers being painted yet but it can't be too far off now.

There's keeping it vague on the website anyway :)
    The half-marathon course will probably follow more-or-less the same route as in 2018 but that will be confirmed here as soon as possible.

Doing the half myself to provide a bit of moral support for a friend. Bit early for the markers, normally towards the end of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

Hello there. I'm doing the full and was just wondering about the Pacers. I would love to finish under the 4 hour mark. I've done a 21 miler in 3:11 and a 20 in just under 3 hours in the past 2 weeks. I was wrecked after them and am worried that I will struggle badly in the unknown of the last 5 miles.
    I don't know whether I should try and hang onto the 3:45 paces or go with the 4 hour pacers.
    I was looking it up online and it said to aim for 1:52 for the first half and hope to get home in 2:08. I think this might be an OK strategy for me.
    Just wondering is this the kind of splits the 4 hour Pacers would also be doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

useurename wrote: »
    Hello there. I'm doing the full and was just wondering about the Pacers. I would love to finish under the 4 hour mark. I've done a 21 miler in 3:11 and a 20 in just under 3 hours in the past 2 weeks. I was wrecked after them and am worried that I will struggle badly in the unknown of the last 5 miles.
    I don't know whether I should try and hang onto the 3:45 paces or go with the 4 hour pacers.
    I was looking it up online and it said to aim for 1:52 for the first half and hope to get home in 2:08. I think this might be an OK strategy for me.
    Just wondering is this the kind of splits the 4 hour Pacers would also be doing?

The pacers will be doing even splits. I’d go with the 4 hour pacers if you really want to use pacers and if you are feeling strong at the end then you could push on. If you go with the 3:45 you could burn out early and make the last few miles very painful.

I'd agree with Kelly, you could burn out if you go with the 3:45 pacers and you aren't sure you can last the pace. If the plan was to finish under 4 then stick with that.

From past experience changing the goal in the weeks leading up to the marathon from what you initially trained for can be a dangerous road to go down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I was looking it up t and it said to aim for 1:52 for the first half and hope to get home in 2:08. I think this might be an OK strategy for me.

If you were wrecked after 20/21 miles at that pace, you've virtually no chance of running 3:45. That's 30secs per mile faster for another 5 odd miles. Go out and that pace and you're likely to have a very, very unpleasant experience.
    I wouldn't fancy sub 4 hours either for the same reason. You need to slow your long run pace down. If you're targeting 4 hours, those 20 milers should be 10min/mile pace at least.
    As for what you'll run, who knows? Almost certainly 4+ hours, but you might learn something ;)

yaboya1 wrote: »
    If you were wrecked after 20/21 miles at that pace, you've virtually no chance of running 3:45. That's 30secs per mile faster for another 5 odd miles. Go out and that pace and you're likely to have a very, very unpleasant experience.
    I wouldn't fancy sub 4 hours either for the same reason. You need to slow your long run pace down. If you're targeting 4 hours, those 20 milers should be 10min/mile pace at least.
    As for what you'll run, who knows? Almost certainly 4+ hours, but you might learn something ;)

I’d tend to agree. Especially considering you were wrecked after the 20 and 21 milers. I’d even consider starting with the 4:15 pacers and if you are extremely comfortable then you could pull ahead a bit. There’s a massive sense of achievement in finishing a marathon really strongly no matter what the time and it would give you a good line for another marathon later in the year. You’d have such a buzz after the time wouldn’t matter. Blowing up and walking is miserable and finishing in a world of pain is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

Thanks for the replies. I'll go out with either the 4:00 hour or the 4:15. I'll decide closer to the day.
    I know I must to do my Long runs at a slower pace but I'm doing my training with faster friends and it's easier having the company than heading out on my own.

I have been following this plan as best I can
    https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/marathon/a760131/rws-ultimate-marathon-schedule-sub-400/

Nearly there now. Looking forward to it

Thanks for the replies. I'll go out with either the 4:00 hour or the 4:15. I'll decide closer to the day.
    I know I must to do my Long runs at a slower pace but I'm doing my training with faster friends and it's easier having the company than heading out on my own.

I have been following this plan as best I can
    https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/marathon/a760131/rws-ultimate-marathon-schedule-sub-400/

Nearly there now. Looking forward to it

It’s a nice one. I’ve done it the last 2 years. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I'd say the 4:15 pacers may be the way to go alright. Far nicer experience to finish strong than to blow a gasket a long way out and crawl home. Enjoy the race.
    More intelligent training and you could be blowing the 4 hour target out of the water next time. No matter what happens, you'll be wiser afterwards.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

Any indications yet on whether the courses are changing from last year?

I ran most of the course for the half on Saturday, no sign of the mile markers being painted yet but it can't be too far off now.

Confirmed on the website now that both courses are unchanged from 2018.

For anyone looking for a bit of parkrun action on the Sat, nearest event to the city centre is Glen River parkrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SwordsRunner

opus wrote: »
    For anyone looking for a bit of parkrun action on the Sat, nearest event to the city centre is parkrun.

You don’t think a parkrun the day before would sap the energy out of your legs a bit too much?

• Advertisement

You don’t think a parkrun the day before would sap the energy out of your legs a bit too much?

If you trot along at a relatively easy pace for you to loosen the legs then that would be ok but I personally wouldnt be racing it

deisedude wrote: »
    If you trot along at a relatively easy pace for you to loosen the legs then that would be ok but I personally wouldnt be racing it

Ah, Jaysus, nobody would be racing a 5k the day before a marathon!!! I'm sure Opus was just highlighting this as an option for a light jog. This Park Run needs a bit of TLC as well as the numbers are low.

Give it a go, folks.

Exactly this ^^^^^ :)

I'll be doing North Beach parkrun the following Saturday just before Comrades as am used to running most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

You would have to treat the Parkrun as a shakeout with a good runny buzz. Could do the last part of it at race pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

purelike wrote: »
    Could do the last part of it at race pace.

Don't!

Itziger wrote: »
    Ah, Jaysus, nobody would be racing a 5k the day before a marathon!!! I'm sure Opus was just highlighting this as an option for a light jog. This Park Run needs a bit of TLC as well as the numbers are low.

Give it a go, folks.

I know its fairly obvious advice but just in case!

deisedude wrote: »
    I know its fairly obvious advice but just in case!

Fair enough!

The absolute only alternative to a pure 5k of easy stuff would be to chuck in a few 50 metre strides in the last km. Maybe 4 or 5x50 metres. Otherwise, joggedy jog all the way.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I would nearly always do a parkrun the day before a race, but do it at a very easy pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SwordsRunner

I would nearly always do a parkrun the day before a race, but do it at a very easy pace.

Might try it. I have never run the day before a marathon; even a mile. What’s the worst thing that could happen?

• Advertisement

Might try it. I have never run the day before a marathon; even a mile. What’s the worst thing that could happen?

You go over on your ankle, it swells up badly and you can't run the next day.

Advertisement