Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-12-2019, 21:39   #1
FrankC21

Stress, what should I do?

Hi,

We have everything in place on our side just valuation report, deposit has been paid fully and we expect the keys before Christmas, before we placed a security deposit we were told that the house will be ready end of November.

Back in October, The builder's solicitor gave us the snagging date on the 29th November 2019, one week before that, they cancelled it, as road tarmac and water supply was not in. They gave us another completion date and snagging on the December 11, 2019 - engineer booked and valuation booked, today they cancelled it again and moved it next week December 17, 2019.

Our solicitor said that the drawdown is now impossible this year it will be next year.

I have other plans in life and I can't move to my next plan. My wife and I are both stressed, we have put huge amount of our savings in this.

Are we the only one experiencing this?
Advertisement
09-12-2019, 21:45   #2
Dolbhad

Builders always under estimate when a build will be done. In addition they don’t have control on when ESB etc get out there to put in the connections. So you do find it’s 2-3 months later from when they first estimate the house done to when it actually is. And sometimes house is ready but legal paperwork isn’t ready.

Most banks require request funds in this weeks and it’s the cut off. First snag list is usually done by the time funds are requested.

Worse case scenario your in the house in the new year. But you will get into the house. The hard slog is over and just abit more patience is needed. Once your settled in the house, any delays will be forgotten.
(2) thanks from:
09-12-2019, 21:53   #3
FrankC21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolbhad View Post
Builders always under estimate when a build will be done. In addition they don’t have control on when ESB etc get out there to put in the connections. So you do find it’s 2-3 months later from when they first estimate the house done to when it actually is. And sometimes house is ready but legal paperwork isn’t ready.

Most banks require request funds in this weeks and it’s the cut off. First snag list is usually done by the time funds are requested.

Worse case scenario your in the house in the new year. But you will get into the house. The hard slog is over and just abit more patience is needed. Once your settled in the house, any delays will be forgotten.
Thanks man, I hope it won't take more than 2-3months for the services to be connected because we don't want our letter of offer expire. All our plans are basically frozen at this point we just can't make any major decisions like changing jobs, holidays, until we get the keys.
09-12-2019, 21:59   #4
marieholmfan

No you aren't the only people who are experiencing this.
I'm sorry that everything in your life isn't 100% perfect 100% of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC21 View Post
Hi,

We have everything in place on our side just valuation report, deposit has been paid fully and we expect the keys before Christmas, before we placed a security deposit we were told that the house will be ready end of November.

Back in October, The builder's solicitor gave us the snagging date on the 29th November 2019, one week before that, they cancelled it, as road tarmac and water supply was not in. They gave us another completion date and snagging on the December 11, 2019 - engineer booked and valuation booked, today they cancelled it again and moved it next week December 17, 2019.

Our solicitor said that the drawdown is now impossible this year it will be next year.

I have other plans in life and I can't move to my next plan. My wife and I are both stressed, we have put huge amount of our savings in this.

(2) thanks from:
09-12-2019, 22:04   #5
FrankC21

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieholmfan View Post
No you aren't the only people who are experiencing this.
I'm sorry that everything in your life isn't 100% perfect 100% of the time.
Thank you, this is what I want to read something that will slap me from dreaming.
Advertisement
09-12-2019, 22:58   #6
_ZeeK_

Quote:
Hi,
Nope. Part of the game I'm afraid. It's a long process - hang in there and don't stress.
09-12-2019, 23:36   #7
Corruptedmorals

Almost 6 months into a sale (not new house). We have no hope of drawing down before the end of the year as we are still waiting on a document before the closing date can be set. The letter of offer will expire. The frustration is unbelievable at such a delay (folio map related) but I know once we're in it won't matter. Unfortunately your timing was always a bit tight coming up to year end as there are always minor delays pushing it out but delaying to beginning of 2020 is not bad at all and honestly I would kill for only 6ish weeks of projected delay in timeline.
10-12-2019, 09:44   #8
marieholmfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolbhad;111979665[B
]Builders always under estimate when a build will be done. In addition they don’t have control on when ESB etc get out there to put in the connections. So you do find it’s 2-3 months later from when they first estimate the house done to when it actually is. And sometimes house is ready but legal paperwork isn’t ready. [/B]

And then after it's wired up it has to be painted and tiled.

And then it's Christmas.
And then the fancy new heating system isn't right and your surveyor says don't move it till he fixes it - but the main plumbers mother is in hospital and the Polish plumber (who's actually the one you want to do that job or so you're told isn't around because his daughter decided to get married back in Poland even though she came here when she was nine and has no intention of ever living in Poland).

But then it all gets sorted and you move in.
You'll get there lads and lasses.
(2) thanks from:
10-12-2019, 10:15   #9
SozBbz

OP, a house sale going through on time (new or 2nd hand) is the exception rather than the rule.

You hear the odd post here about people getting it done in 6-8 weeks but I'd estimate that in 90% of sales, delays occur.

The reasons are many and varied, but TBH your post just reads as naive.

I'd love if the system was better/quicker but its not, and you'll be less stressed if you just remember that.

Talk to your lender, I'm sure there will be no issue extending your loan given the circumstances. I appreciate you may want to do other things once sale is complete but there will be plenty of time. Buying a house means that you need to stick to the status quo for the duration, and I'd always expect that to be anything up to a year between first applying for a mortgage, house hunting, going sale agreed and then 4-6 months to close.
Advertisement
16-12-2019, 21:30   #10
FrankC21

Ok i just want to let my frustration out, tomorrow 17th December was the new snagging date and I only found out today that it will not go ahead due to the water connection, if I haven't called the foreman I would have wasted my time, 3 times they cancelled it I booked the engineer and valuation team and I asked for a day off work. Now they are telling me this that the irish water cannot commit to a day, they should have been open to me much sooner.
16-12-2019, 22:06   #11
riclad

You are buying a new house, it needs water, esb connection,s plus there will always be delays at christmas, most trades take a week off on dec 23rd,
, they come back in the 1st week of january .there should be no reason to be stressed .
builders need to snag the building.
they need power to do certain jobs.
builders usually have delays, carpentors ,plumbers may be there at different time,s .
expect delays with builders .
You will probably live there 20 years, a week or 2 delay is not a big deal.
It,s simpler buying a old house, as there,s water and power connected already.
And you dont need to deal with builder,s .
17-12-2019, 12:12   #12
FrankC21

Quote:
Originally Posted by riclad View Post
You are buying a new house, it needs water, esb connection,s plus there will always be delays at christmas, most trades take a week off on dec 23rd,
, they come back in the 1st week of january .there should be no reason to be stressed .
builders need to snag the building.
they need power to do certain jobs.
builders usually have delays, carpentors ,plumbers may be there at different time,s .
expect delays with builders .
You will probably live there 20 years, a week or 2 delay is not a big deal.
It,s simpler buying a old house, as there,s water and power connected already.
And you dont need to deal with builder,s .
My point here is that, they should have been honest with us, they rescheduled it three times now, they should have straight away told us we can't do the snagging before Christmas because the water can't guarantee a date full stop instead of floating around. It is not easy, i have work and I can't just call in a day off and then cancel it. For **** sake.
17-12-2019, 13:44   #13
kceire

Quote:
Ok i just want to let my frustration out, tomorrow 17th December was the new snagging date and I only found out today that it will not go ahead due to the water connection, if I haven't called the foreman I would have wasted my time, 3 times they cancelled it I booked the engineer and valuation team and I asked for a day off work. Now they are telling me this that the irish water cannot commit to a day, they should have been open to me much sooner.
Quote:
My point here is that, they should have been honest with us, they rescheduled it three times now, they should have straight away told us we can't do the snagging before Christmas because the water can't guarantee a date full stop instead of floating around. It is not easy, i have work and I can't just call in a day off and then cancel it. For **** sake.
The contractor is most likely getting the same delay responces from Irish Water.
Currently, Irish Water is a major delay in new connections.
Either way, you would not have been in for Christmas so try not stress.
17-12-2019, 15:38   #14
Claw Hammer

Quote:
A builder? Honest!
Thanks from:
17-12-2019, 20:35   #15
StoptheClocks

I'm on my 5th Snag. Down to a handful of small items and one major problem in the bathroom. I've had to drawdown my mortgage.I had to get it extended and that date has now expired. I was supposed to get called back today but wasn't. I'm hoping that this is due to them working on the problem in the bathroom but he's probably not bothered to ring me. I think he's just hoping I take the house before xmas without him finishing it. He has it in the contract that I have to close on the house 28 days after the completion, with him fixing problems within reason. That date is approaching.
Very stressful going back to see things not done.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion