Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-11-2019, 12:32   #1
mcbert

Where all the houses gone?

Galway city, west side, looking for a 4/5 bed 2nd hand.

Market is dead.

If prices are static or falling slightly, and recession/brexit perhaps on the way, what are people waiting for if they are thinking of selling?

Likewise, with new builds under construction, why would sellers wait for them to be built, why not try sell up before they go on the market?

Ok, I understand people deciding not to sell at all, cancelling their plan for a few years. Fine. But surely not everyone can do that, and I dont quite understand people seeing trouble on the horizon, and thinking, 'lets wait a few months and see, be sure things are bad before we sell'.

I see some EAs not bothering to mark their property as sale agreed on Daft, I suppose to make themselves look busier than they really are.

All we see are a few houses now, above our budget and arent shifting. Last year was much better.

Its frustrating. Put your damn house up for sale, and ill go take a look next day...
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
05-11-2019, 12:27   #2
Marius34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbert View Post
I dont quite understand people seeing trouble on the horizon, and thinking, 'lets wait a few months and see, be sure things are bad before we sell'.
I see there are quite a few 4/5 bed houses in Galway west.
You probably won't see many of houses put on sale until February. It's a bad months for Sale. Dark short days, cold and wet.
In addition from the Sellers perspective, the main worry was expected No-Deal Brexit, which since middle of October doesn't seem to be a case anymore, thus recession is not expect from the Brexit(with deal) in itself. I would think this is main reason why many sellers would not be in rush to sell at the moment.
(2) thanks from:
05-11-2019, 15:42   #3
SozBbz

Not that I'm a seller or in your area, but if I was only thinking about selling my house, I wouldn't put it on now until the 3rd week in Jan at the earliest.

I wouldnt expect to see much new to market between now and then. If by end of Feb nothing is stirring, then you're right.
Thanks from:
05-11-2019, 21:08   #4
PhoenixParker

4&5 bed houses on the west side of Galway don't get sold, they get inherited. Obviously a few do end up being sold but far fewer than would be typical in a city that size. Most decent sized family houses get bought out by one of the family.
05-11-2019, 22:00   #5
mcbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixParker View Post
4&5 bed houses on the west side of Galway don't get sold, they get inherited. Obviously a few do end up being sold but far fewer than would be typical in a city that size. Most decent sized family houses get bought out by one of the family.
Thanks. That's interesting. Makes some sense I suppose although I still think last year was better.
Advertisement
06-11-2019, 14:48   #6
riclad

How many 4 bed house, s are built in galway very few,
look for a 3 bed house, with a large front room, and a utility room, most builder,s build a house, with 3 bedrooms and maybe a utility room ,or an extra room beside the kitchen , as well as the front room .
or just go house size,
eg i want a house at least 1000 sq ft .
you could be waiting a long time for a 4 bed house unless you have
alot of money to spend .
one off house,s tend to be bigger , outside the city centre .
look on daft.ie 3 bed .
06-11-2019, 18:13   #7
what_traffic

Quote:

Market is dead.
Agree in established areas. How far West is the key? Established areas very little on offer - Availability in KnocknaCarra is pretty high though especially for 4 bed.

Last edited by what_traffic; 06-11-2019 at 18:14. Reason: high in comparison to other areas
23-11-2019, 01:31   #8
Quadrivium

Quote:

Market is dead.

If prices are static or falling slightly, and recession/brexit perhaps on the way, what are people waiting for if they are thinking of selling?

Likewise, with new builds under construction, why would sellers wait for them to be built, why not try sell up before they go on the market?

Ok, I understand people deciding not to sell at all, cancelling their plan for a few years. Fine. But surely not everyone can do that, and I dont quite understand people seeing trouble on the horizon, and thinking, 'lets wait a few months and see, be sure things are bad before we sell'.

I see some EAs not bothering to mark their property as sale agreed on Daft, I suppose to make themselves look busier than they really are.

All we see are a few houses now, above our budget and arent shifting. Last year was much better.

Its frustrating. Put your damn house up for sale, and ill go take a look next day...
Over 1 million immigrants have arrived in Ireland over the last 15 years.
The conservative estimate for persons per house is 3 per house.
That would mean 333,000 houses should have been built to accommodate the increase in population over the last 10 to 15 years but we haven't even managed 20,000 house builds per year over the last 10 years.

Demand in the housing market is still astronomical and it will not end until immigration is controlled or stopped.
(3) thanks from:
23-11-2019, 01:42   #9
Dogg Munde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrivium View Post
The conservative estimate for persons per house is 3 per house.
That would mean 333,000 houses should have been built to accommodate the increase in population over the last 10 to 15 years but we haven't even managed 20,000 house builds per year over the last 10 years.

Demand in the housing market is still astronomical and it will not end until immigration is controlled or stopped.
Where are your figures coming from? Your arse?
Advertisement
23-11-2019, 01:45   #10
Mrs OBumble

Quote:
And how many left again when the bottom fell out of the economy in 2009?
Thanks from:
23-11-2019, 01:45   #11
Quadrivium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg Munde View Post
Where are your figures coming from? Your arse?
Is that what they call the Central Statistics Office these days?

180,000 pps numbers were issued to non Nationals in 2018 alone, hello! Wakey wakey, have you been living in a cave or you don't have eyes? Mass immigration to Ireland is happening and it's been happening for almost 20 years, the negative social impact is just beginning...it's only gonna get worse.
23-11-2019, 01:47   #12
Quadrivium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs OBumble View Post
And how many left again when the bottom fell out of the economy in 2009?
Estimates range around 200,000 that left pre 2012 but 600,000 arrived since 2013.
(2) thanks from:
23-11-2019, 02:12   #13
Mrs OBumble

Quote:
Estimates range around 200,000 that left pre 2012 but 600,000 arrived since 2013.

That's not what this page says: https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpub...atesapril2019/

Thanks from:
23-11-2019, 08:58   #14
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs OBumble View Post
I’m not a statistician, but that graph does seem to back up what the poster’s claim about pre 2013 emigration (200k) and post immigration (600k).
23-11-2019, 09:01   #15
mcbert

This nonsense has got nothing to do with this thread. Don't feed the troll. Lack of 4/5 bed homes for sale in galway city has nothing to do with immigration.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion