Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-01-2020, 16:16   #1246
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dee View Post
What ever happened to personal choice !!
Are you okay with your next door neighbour turning their house into a shebeen or a brothel? Personal choice and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
It is not private property owners job to "provide homes", it is their job to make as much money from their property and minimise risk. This key point cannot be highlighted enough.

Some people really do appear to think that landlords aim is to provide housing, it is not. They are proving a service to make money, if another type of service can be provided (i.e. airbnb rather than a long term let) which is better business wise then they will of course choose this as any business would alter their business to suit the market.
They can do what they like within the regulations.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-01-2020, 16:18   #1247
Graham

Quote:
It is not private property owners job to "provide homes", it is their job to make as much money from their property and minimise risk.
If it comes as a surprise to anyone that there are limits/restrictions on what they can do with private property, they might be better served considering alternative investments.
(6) thanks from:
15-01-2020, 16:25   #1248
Jay Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obvious Desperate Breakfasts View Post
Are you okay with your next door neighbour turning their house into a shebeen or a brothel? Personal choice and all.
This is NOT within the law ,

Last edited by Graham; 15-01-2020 at 16:57. Reason: quote fixing
15-01-2020, 16:27   #1249

Quote:
You can turn it into a b&b though without planning. I see no reason why airbnb shouldn't have the same exemption. Airbnb is completely incomparable to a hotel, thats the very reason its so popular as it offers a totally different service.
You have convinced nobody of that. Trying to argue that Airbnb is closer to residential accommodation is utterly farcical. You shot yourself in the foot by saying that Airbnb is nothing like a holiday home when they are practically the same. Literally everything you listed as a thing that apparently makes Airbnb different also applies to holiday homes and most of them apply to hotels. The thing that ties them all is that none of them are anyone’s residence. I can’t believe I have to point out something so obvious.

Your relations couldn’t afford a hotel for two weeks. So they rented another type of holiday accommodation.
(2) thanks from:
15-01-2020, 16:29   #1250
xckjoo

Quote:
This is NOT within the law ,
And now neither is unrestricted AirBnB letting. You just don't like that regulation.
Advertisement
15-01-2020, 16:35   #1251
Yellow_Fern

Quote:

They can do what they like within the regulations.
yeah I would be actually.
15-01-2020, 16:36   #1252
Yellow_Fern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
If it comes as a surprise to anyone that there are limits/restrictions on what they can do with private property, they might be better served considering alternative investments.
It comes as a surprise how retrograde such restrictions are.
15-01-2020, 17:06   #1253
awec

Mod: Rugby, ZTest
Quote:
It is not private property owners job to "provide homes", it is their job to make as much money from their property and minimise risk. This key point cannot be highlighted enough.

Some people really do appear to think that landlords aim is to provide housing, it is not. They are proving a service to make money, if another type of service can be provided (i.e. airbnb rather than a long term let) which is better business wise then they will of course choose this as any business would alter their business to suit the market.

You can turn it into a b&b though without planning. I see no reason why airbnb shouldn't have the same exemption. Airbnb is completely incomparable to a hotel, thats the very reason its so popular as it offers a totally different service.
Within the law. This is the bit that's confusing you I think.
Thanks from:
15-01-2020, 17:08   #1254
awec

Mod: Rugby, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Fern View Post
It comes as a surprise how retrograde such restrictions are.
It is an entirely positive step. The only people annoyed by it are those who have been taking the piss, and they know full well they've been taking the piss.

Indeed, the sheer depths those trying to come up with problems are stooping to is testament to that fact. There will be some seriously blunt fingernails for some on this thread, scraping all those barrels!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-01-2020, 17:25   #1255
Jay Dee

Quote:
You have convinced nobody of that. Trying to argue that Airbnb is closer to residential accommodation is utterly farcical. You shot yourself in the foot by saying that Airbnb is nothing like a holiday home when they are practically the same. Literally everything you listed as a thing that apparently makes Airbnb different also applies to holiday homes and most of them apply to hotels. The thing that ties them all is that none of them are anyone’s residence. I can’t believe I have to point out something so obvious.

Your relations couldn’t afford a hotel for two weeks. So they rented another type of holiday accommodation.
(a) You shot yourself in the foot by saying that Airbnb is nothing like a holiday home when they are practically the same..... The majority of AirBnB's are rooms within a private house , to insist that they are more like Holiday homes or Hotel Apartments is inaccurate to say the least..

(b) Your relations couldn’t afford a hotel for two weeks
Not a very nice comment !!
Please stick to the thread...
15-01-2020, 17:31   #1256
Yellow_Fern

Quote:
Originally Posted by awec View Post
It is an entirely positive step. The only people annoyed by it are those who have been taking the piss, and they know full well they've been taking the piss.

Indeed, the sheer depths those trying to come up with problems are stooping to is testament to that fact. There will be some seriously blunt fingernails for some on this thread, scraping all those barrels!
I d question why people like yourself post such unreliable information. Such advised confidence. Are you really saying that no one would disagree with such regulations, unless they them selves were hosts? I never broke these rules and I disagree with them. There you are disproved. Now an adult rebuttal please.
15-01-2020, 17:38   #1257

Quote:
(a) You shot yourself in the foot by saying that Airbnb is nothing like a holiday home when they are practically the same..... The majority of AirBnB's are rooms within a private house , to insist that they are more like Holiday homes or Hotel Apartments is inaccurate to say the least..

(b) Your relations couldn’t afford a hotel for two weeks
Not a very nice comment !!
Please stick to the thread...
The supposed differences were that in Airbnbs, people can cook for themselves, do washing and work from them if needed. I have never been in a holiday home where all those things weren’t possible. I mean, continue to argue that they’re not analogous. Seriously, knock yourself out. You’re just making yourself look silly. The argument that Airbnb is closer to residential accommodation wouldn’t stand up legally.

On the second point, are you a mod? And I’m going off information volunteered by that poster.
Thanks from:
15-01-2020, 17:38   #1258
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by awec View Post

Why do people like yourself see it as the responsibility of a private property owner to provide rental accommodation or ownership to the public?
The law says you need planning, the law is being given the consideration it deserves. This seems to irk a lot of people, the reality is that no one likes being told what they can do with their own private property. Many counties, including the one I live in, take this law so seriously that they have NO staff assigned to enforcement.

Surely you understand that these laws were just a sound bite, a show of intention by the Government to do something about their housing policy failures, there seems little political will to do anything about enforcement.

Incidentally, I’m not hypocritical, I don’t think anyone let’s their home just to benefit tourism, it is to make money and to avoid letting to a tenant.

Last edited by Dav010; 15-01-2020 at 17:47.
15-01-2020, 17:39   #1259
nox001

Quote:

They could easily afford a hotel for two weeks but it would have been a significant compromise is comfort, facilities etc and of course availability.
15-01-2020, 17:43   #1260

Quote:
They could easily afford a hotel for two weeks but it would have been a significant compromise is comfort, facilities etc and of course availability.
That doesn’t change that it was holiday accommodation. Apparently to you, mimicking the beats of home (which can also be achieved in a holiday home) makes short-term holiday accommodation residential. Weird.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion