Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

I think some need to appreciate that it's difficult for many others to subscribe to the need for enforced closures that have happened and likely more to follow in the time ahead. why?

well we are told the majority of people if we should get covid19 will recover or not even know we've had it. that alone would be enough for many to not overly concern about it.add to that there is only asmall number of confirmed cases in the country. so maybe not quite a pandemic in Ireland yet.

if things do as predicted get worse in time ahead i don't doubt more people will realise the need for enforced closures and run with it for a while at least. so maybe a bit less moralising upon others for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

ruwithme wrote: »
    I think some need to appreciate that it's difficult for many others to subscribe to the need for enforced closures that have happened and likely more to follow in the time ahead. why?

well we are told the majority of people if we should get covid19 will recover or not even know we've had it. that alone would be enough for many to not overly concern about it.add to that there is only asmall number of confirmed cases in the country. so maybe not quite a pandemic in Ireland yet.

if things do as predicted get worse in time ahead i don't doubt more people will realise the need for enforced closures and run with it for a while at least. so maybe a bit less moralising upon others for now.

Some of the pubs in mullingar are closing as they can't control the crowds

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

They can't and they won't.
    The shops have to be supplied with milk and the rest of the grocery shop.

Every processor has a plan to continue collections on farms even if that farmer is known to have covid. Well so the processors say anyway.

The majority of workers in the processing plants will show no symptoms and continue working. Same for farmers.

Issue of a farmer having it wouldn't really effect milk collection. It would be if there was a cluster on the milk intake side that could close it for x period of time. Unlikely but probably not impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Mooooo wrote: »
    Issue of a farmer having it wouldn't really effect milk collection. It would be if there was a cluster on the milk intake side that could close it for x period of time. Unlikely but probably not impossible

It'll be priority to keep the plants going.
    We've as a nation gone beyond containment. So pointless to close a plant if one does get confirmed with it.
    That horse bolted long ago.
    As mentioned before the majority will show no symptoms and can continue working. You could have it yourself this minute and you wouldn't even know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭alps

US suspending flights from here and UK from Tuesday

Daughter was heading there today for a week but cancelled yesterday. Delta allow a change of flight to be used some time over the next 12 months..within an hour of cancelling, the money was unexpectedly back in her account...

Kudos to Delta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Kavanagh buses are suspending a lot of there services from Monday, a lot of pubs are closing I say in the next day or two everything will be nearly closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Fred Daly wrote: »
    The Healy Rea brothers must be happy with this.

If you believe that you must also think that pigs can fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I see the neighbours have facebook plastered with pictures of a pub crawl somewhere in the west this weekend, they all have parents over 70 living near here. Parents of one is my next door neighbours, they're over 80.
    You just couldn't make it up
    12 year old in hospital in the midlands in a bad way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I really feel that the sensible people of Ireland are being betrayed by those who are refusing to scale back their drinking for just a few weekends for the sake of the elderly and vulnerable in society.

Our vets office were operating a policy to distance customers from each other which in a wet cold afternoon was difficult. And then see these morons out being stupid made me mad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

_Brian wrote: »
    I really feel that the sensible people of Ireland are being betrayed by those who are refusing to scale back their drinking for just a few weekends for the sake of the elderly and vulnerable in society.

Our vets office were operating a policy to distance customers from each other which in a wet cold afternoon was difficult. And then see these morons out being stupid made me mad.

The worse part you couldn't even name and shame-theyd probably glory in it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Great article here on how social distancing (i.e. shutdown) can defeat the virus. The faster the shutdown and the more extensive, the less damage now and quicker return to normality in time

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Italians over 80 will be left die as country overwhelmed by Coronavirus.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/14/italians-80-will-left-die-country-overwhelmed-coronavirus/

This is a frightening development, theres a good few reports of reinfection after being diagnosed as clear.

https://twitter.com/willripleyCNN/status/1238998307252269058?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Hope they will but if this ‘lockdown’ is announced will Farm Supply stores nationwide be allowed stay open?

Animals will still need nuts and feed,especially with the crappy wet weather we are experiencing.

This is a frightening development, theres a good few reports of reinfection after being diagnosed as clear.

Not to alarm people but that would tie in to a loose link to HIV.
    That was suggested early on by the Indian experts as a reason to suggest that it was a manufactured virus. They had to redact that. But it looks like the fact remains.
    Ebola was loosely linked to HIV too and it looks like drugs that treat HIV may have an effect on Covid 19.
    The side effects of this may be reduced fertility in people even though they might never show any effects or symptoms from contracting the virus.

It looks like HIV, Ebola and Covid 19 are all the one family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Suckler

You should stop this bull now. You are no more qualified to be making these statements, in fact appear to be wallowing in the current pandemic. You see and hear the amount of illogical and frankly made up nonsense on social media and wonder where it originates....

Suckler wrote: »
    You should stop this bull now. You are no more qualified to be making these statements, in fact appear to be wallowing in it. You see and hear the amount of illogical and frankly made up nonsense on social media and wonder where it originates....

All you have to do yourself is look.
    I'm not making it up.

Maybe search for yourself before going on the attack.
    https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid19-repurposed-treatments-drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Not to alarm people but that would tie in to a loose link to HIV.
    That was suggested early on by the Indian experts as a reason to suggest that it was a manufactured virus. They had to redact that. But it looks like the fact remains.
    Ebola was loosely linked to HIV too and it looks like drugs that treat HIV may have an effect on Covid 19.
    The side effects of this may be reduced fertility in people even though they might never show any effects or symptoms from contracting the virus.

A large amount of viruses go through latent (hiding) periods where they're not active and just waiting for their chance to reactivate. There's nothing unusual about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Suckler wrote: »
    You should stop this bull now. You are no more qualified to be making these statements, in fact appear to be wallowing in the current pandemic. You see and hear the amount of illogical and frankly made up nonsense on social media and wonder where it originates....

Just block him. Everyone has enough stuff going on .

Everyone read the link to the scientific report i linked of the effectiveness of the drugs that are used to treat HIV and Ebola and are being trialled on Covid 19.

Ye can't say that it's not the first time ye heard that link between those RNA viruses mentioned before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No, there not the, one family, MERS and SARS are similar to Covid 19.
    There are also all viruses.
    You wouldn't say Samomella and E-Coli are the same family. They just happen to both be bacteria.
    Of course one looks at drugs that treat one virus to see would that antiviral work against another virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

https://twitter.com/willripleyCNN/status/1238998307252269058?s=19

Maybe a false negative?
    The lady in Japan who was thought to have gotten reinfected was subsequently said to have had a false negative test but in fact was infected the whole time.

Like pregnancy test, false negative is possible but not false positive.

Water John wrote: »
    No, there not the, one family, MERS and SARS are similar to Covid 19.
    There are also all viruses.
    You wouldn't say Samomella and E-Coli are the same family. They just happen to both be bacteria.
    Of course one looks at drugs that treat one virus to see would that antiviral work against another virus.

I'm not debating because there's no one qualified to comment on it.
    And does it really matter if there's a link between Ebola, HIV and covid?
    It doesn't matter a damn. But it does matter that drugs that were designed to treat ebola and hiv are looking to have success against covid.
    Perhaps if the world had of took covid as seriously as they take Ebola and HIV then we wouldn't be in this mess now.
    The western world and their cockiness that it could never happen allowed this to spread. If people cop on and treat it like Ebola then there might be a slim chance.
    But reality says it's widespread by now.

And I'll say it once again Ebola requires selenium. If it doesn't get it it takes it from the body and then it moves on to the next body. The best chance you have is ensuring your diet is full of it.
    The countries that are low in soil selenium are the countries worst affected by covid.
    Luckily we're in a country with moderate levels. But then it comes down to that individuals diet. It's the same as plant nutrition in regenerative agriculture. If that plant is properly fed. A virus won't have as much or no affect on that plant.

Ah look for God's sake this is all elsewhere allready on the net. Personal responsibility comes into to help yourselves and do yere own research.

Don't bother anyone responding to this as I won't be responding back.
    This was after all supposed to be an informative thread with no chit chat. But that was quickly ignored.
    And it wasn't me started the chit chat there's a good few here did that. * ( points fingers).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Trump showing his class, trying to secure possible vaccine by German Co exclusively for the US.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/15/trump-offers-large-sums-for-exclusive-access-to-coronavirus-vaccine

Germany will close it's borders with France, Switzerland and Austria tomorrow. Open only to goods and workers.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-germany-update-news-borders-closed-panic-buying-stockpiling-a9403061.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Suckler

All you have to do yourself is look.
    I'm not making it up.
    Maybe search for yourself before going on the attack.
    You are making it up though. You’ve read a miniscule amount and decided that quite clearly – “HIV, Ebola and Covid 19 are all the one family”
    Should I treat someone with HIV/Aids in the same manner as C19?! Refuse handshake / mask on / request they isolate??
    Remarks like yours fan flames.
    I'm not debating because there's no one qualified to comment on it.
    You're not debating it because your comments on it have been shown to be patently wrong and downright dangerous. Then you have the neck to say there's no one qualified to comment on it??? :rolleyes:
    And does it really matter if there's a link between Ebola, HIV and covid?
    It doesn't matter a damn. But it does matter that drugs that were designed to treat ebola and hiv are looking to have success against covid

It matters a lot. People read b0llox like that and get extremely demanding that HIV drugs be funnelled away from HIV patients putting other vulnerable people at risk.
    And the key words you use are “looking like”; there are still Ebola treatments that aren’t fully verified as being successful as the research and viral mutations are continuous.
    Perhaps if the world had of took covid as seriously as they take Ebola and HIV then we wouldn't be in this mess now..
    Taken seriously??? You mustn't have been around when aids victims were seen as homosexual deviants and/or junkies and deserved nothing but contempt. It was a homosexual problem and quick fire, uneducated pub talk and rumour such as yours generated scaremongering and labels quite quickly. Celebrities actively hid that they were dying a horrible death rather become unemployed and pariahs overnight.
    Ebola was seen as an African problem.
    The western world and their cockiness that it could never happen allowed this to spread. If people cop on and treat it like Ebola then there might be a slim chance.
    But reality says it's widespread by now.
    You seem to be revelling in this “everyone will get it eventually”. Completely unfounded but you’re teeing yourself up for a one man “I told you so”. A stopped clock springs to mind.
    I agreewith you people should have an still need to cop on. Shockingly stupid to see the amount still in pubs and bigger house parties are the latest I’m hearing about.
    And I'll say it once again Ebola requires selenium. If it doesn't get it it takes it from the body and then it moves on to the next body. The best chance you have is ensuring your diet is full of it.
    The countries that are low in soil selenium are the countries worst affected by covid.
    Luckily we're in a country with moderate levels. But then it comes down to that individuals diet. It's the same as plant nutrition in regenerative agriculture. If that plant is properly fed. A virus won't have as much or no affect on that plant. ..
    Patently over simplified. Selenium can help overall as part of your entire immune sytem but won’t prevent it’s uptake. Selenium soil levels/areas with high selenium are still seeing surges. Again your statement on “ensuring your diet is full of it” is nothing short of irresponsible. Dietary supplemental overdose is an issue, one that can cause illness. In a pandemic your irresponsibile statements can cause people to be a further burden on a health system under pressure.
    Ah look for God's sake this is all elsewhere allready on the net. Personal responsibility comes into to help yourselves and do yere own research.
    Again you aren’t doing “research”. You inferring that actually cheapens real research and can stifle controlled lab work and statistical normalisation on how the virus behaves. If the situation wasn’t as serious your “research” is laughable.
    Don't bother anyone responding to this as I won't be responding back.
    Eh..no. When did you make the rules? Or was that part of your research? Obey the Gospel according to Say my Name?
    This was after all supposed to be an informative thread with no chit chat. But that was quickly ignored.
    And it wasn't me started the chit chat there's a good few here did that. * ( points fingers).
    Point away. “Informative” and the conclusions you’ve lurched to are very different.

Advertisement