Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painfully cold ears and face with front crawl in ocean

• 03-07-2019 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Last week I went for a swim in the sea and after about 15 minutes I had to come out due to my ears being so cold. I think my face felt okay after a while but the pain seemed to move to my ears. It was my first swim in the sea since last summer and it was meant to be for practice.

Although I may have gotten used to swimming in the pool, I never remember this experience from swimming in the sea in any triathlons I did before. When swimming at sea I've always made sure to wear my swimming hat as my head would be too cold without it, but I've never remember being in discomfort due to the cold on my face or ears.

Someone said to me vaseline applied the to the ears could help!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

I use this hat when winter open water swimming which is great for keeping your ears and head warm. I dont use it in the Summer but I understand the head freeze can be very uncomfortable!

Cant comment on Vaseline, I havent used that anywhere except the neck of my wetsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Wear 2 silicone hats, they do this for channel swims so must be a help. Get used to it literally get out there and swim in the sea weekly. Remember the water gets warmer from now until late September. I swam a race in Enniscrone on Sunday and the water was 15c which is perfect for swimming in skins.
    Water should be in and around 15c til September.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Wear 2 silicone hats, they do this for channel swims so must be a help. Get used to it literally get out there and swim in the sea weekly. Remember the water gets warmer from now until late September. I swam a race in Enniscrone on Sunday and the water was 15c which is perfect for swimming in skins.
    Water should be in and around 15c til September.

Two hats definitely helps, but not allowed under channel rules. Rules are: one non-thermal hat, one pair of goggles, nose clip, ear plugs and one pair of sleeveless & legless swimming togs that don't provide buoyancy or heat retention. And lights/glow sticks for safety when swimming at night.

Advertisement