Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

Problem we have now is good prices are quoted for good stock, and of course everyone thinks now they have an animal worth 1k +

I still wonder, and I've asked this before.

When a factory buys an animal for 1600/1800 eur, where do they get this value from

Id get a lot of the best meat from the best butcher for 1,800.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Cattle are scarce and don't worry the factories aren't out to loose money for the farmers behalf.
    They'll tell ya down to the red Rex how to get money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

P_Cash wrote: »
    Problem we have now is good prices are quoted for good stock, and of course everyone thinks now they have an animal worth 1k +

I still wonder, and I've asked this before.

When a factory buys an animal for 1600/1800 eur, where do they get this value from

Id get a lot of the best meat from the best butcher for 1,800.

Hide is worth 60-100 euro. 5 quarter another 100. Processors only pay for carcass, they recover about 4-6 kgs that is not weighted in mostly from the head. As well there is 5.25% vat bringing the animal to 1710 euro. Take away hide and offal and animal is costing 1500-1550 euro

An animal that the factory pays 1800 for 425kgs DW. An animal this large would have a meat to bone recovery rate of 72ish%. That is 306kgs of meat along with recovered meat that leave 310 kgs. That leaves the processor paying 4.9/kg for the meat. Go into any supermarket and see how what meat is prices at less than 5/kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

Feckthis wrote: »
    What age we're they?
    They were born june and july of 2014,out of handy cows and stock bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Heifers are sold anyway !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

A late mart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

The real good big store is back a lot in South East in the week. 5 millers of u grade lim bullocks. Nov 13 535kgs @1400. Big empty cattle Weighing bad. 1600 would of been price of them 2 weeks ago.. I think the real madness may have passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

Willfarman wrote: »
    The real good big store is back a lot in South East in the week. 5 millers of u grade lim bullocks. Nov 13 535kgs @1400. Big empty cattle Weighing bad. 1600 would of been price of them 2 weeks ago.. I think the real madness may have passed.

anybody going to Ballybays teagasc sale 2nite?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Anyone any prices lately? I heard they are back a bit. Bought a few 2 weeks ago for same price as lads I bought 6 wks ago and better quality. Wonder are prices easing with the bad weather and time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Sold a bull wealing at the weekend he made over 1100 with his weight it's not every day that happens here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

dodo mommy wrote: »
    Sold a bull wealing at the weekend he made over 1100 with his weight it's not every day that happens here.

He must've been a cracker to get €1100 with his weight . Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Anyone know what sort of money friesian culls are making?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Cavanjack wrote: »

About €1.60 per kg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Cavanjack wrote: »

Too much just too Feckin much :(

simx wrote: »
    Too much just too Feckin much :(

Id say the way things are at the minute there is no way you'd make a bob fattening them. Know a lad who got 4 British FR big square ones off farmer for 870 and went straight to mart with them and made 340 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ger b

Id say the way things are at the minute there is no way you'd make a bob fattening them. Know a lad who got 4 British FR big square ones off farmer for 870 and went straight to mart with them and made 340 each.

340profit or hardly sold them for 340

ger b wrote: »
    340profit or hardly sold them for 340

340 profit each. Dairy man was used to him taking his culls at around 900 mark

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Have prices fallen? Is the bubnle burst? Seem to be back a bit on donedeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭leoch

no bubble hasnt burst here yet anyway,, cattle 250kg to 400kgs still very dear especially the chx they would be 900 to 1150 euro which is way to much for cattle that weights but its farmers paying way over the odds for them and were they are going to go with them this time next year is a good question....good luck to them

I have 2 AA x FR suckler cows both with calves at foot. 1 cow has twin AA bull calves. The other cow has a LM bull calf. Cows are in average condition but on real good grass. Any idea what i might get for them ? Cows are just blood tested and calves are just TB tested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭epfff

davidk1394 wrote: »
    I have 2 AA x FR suckler cows both with calves at foot. 1 cow has twin AA bull calves. The other cow has a LM bull calf. Cows are in average condition but on real good grass. Any idea what i might get for them ? Cows are just blood tested and calves are just TB tested

Age of cows?
    buying older cows round the 1200 mark. Twins worth a little more

Drop them up to me and I'll pay Yahoo on the spot cut out the Mart fees

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

mate of mine got €1000 approx. over the weight for BB bulls in Ennis yesterday

epfff wrote: »
    Age of cows?
    buying older cows round the 1200 mark. Twins worth a little more

Drop them up to me and I'll pay Yahoo on the spot cut out the Mart fees

1 cows was born in 08 and on the farm as a calf. The other cow was born in 2011 and is 1 of my own breed she has the twins. Haha which part of the country are you situated

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

Supply and demand. I'm telling Ya, young animals are not easy come by, nearly everyone i know has trouble getting stock in calf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

More or less a waste of time this year, only if you could buy them in the yard at value but marts are stupid for cows this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

3 lbig Br fr the cows sold end of mart Enniscorthy 3 weeks ago. 750 kgs or thereabouts. Sold under 800... But they were to calve in 2 months to a her bull! Value or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

What would yearling FR bullocks make in the mart around 250 -300kg?

Feckthis wrote: »
    What would yearling FR bullocks make in the mart around 250 -300kg?

Willfarmer bought some last weekend 320kgs for 490. Good square one he posted on the Beef thread. So I suppose on that about 450 euro if they are square and less if middle of the road.

I call for them tomorrow morning:)

Willfarman wrote: »
    3 lbig Br fr the cows sold end of mart Enniscorthy 3 weeks ago. 750 kgs or thereabouts. Sold under 800... But they were to calve in 2 months to a her bull! Value or not?

Hope you bought them I take the three of them and I never deal in cow. Let the calf under them along with maybe another calf until September. Even taking calves off cow at 6-8 weeks and finishing cow is a no brainer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭epfff

Hope you bought them I take the three of them and I never deal in cow. Let the calf under them along with maybe another calf until September. Even taking calves off cow at 6-8 weeks and finishing cow is a no brainer

After how long in calf can you kill a cow?
    By September they would nearly be On point of calf again so at that stage I'd reload

Advertisement