Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crikey we have an AFL forum. Say hello and who you support

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

sadhbhsdad wrote: »
    Dockers fan here,
    Why no anchor on new jumper ?

Mackman is our resident Dockers fan on here so he'll be glad of an ally!

Not 100% sure of the reasoning behind the removal of the anchor, but I think it was to do with how synonomous it was with the old Fremantle (i.e. the under-achieving rabble who threw away draft picks for rubbish players)

I can see why they're trying to move past that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

drumreagh wrote: »
    Cool! An AFL forum! Only a recent convert (early 2007). A Dockers fan - GO FREO!

Not that it matters a hoot, but I've 'retired' my 'drumreagh' account in faviour of this new personalised account... still a Docker though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Been following the AFL since about 06 I'd say (AFL Live 2004 on the ps2, still have it somewhere) Try to catch the footie on TG4 when I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Anyone here support the Saints?

Because quite frankly I'm sort of a bit tired of their indiscretions taking every single radio channel.

I support the cats so, no such fun to be had in Geelong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Zambia wrote: »
    Anyone here support the Saints?

Because quite frankly I'm sort of a bit tired of their indiscretions taking every single radio channel.

I support the cats so, no such fun to be had in Geelong.

good old Geelong, great to have a club that has never had any indiscretions with them.

*cough* Gary Ablett (senior!) *cough*

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dominus

GO ON THE SAINTS!! We'll do it this year..gutted about last time but Riewoldt and the boys will do it this year! Looking forward to them skinning the Cats on March 25th.. Up St Kilda :cool:

March 25th it is ... try and keep your boys out of any high schools till then ill you...:-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Zambia wrote: »
    March 25th it is ... try and keep your boys out of any high schools till then ill you...:-)

and Ricky Nixon, the dirty aul perv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

sadhbhsdad wrote: »
    Dockers fan here,

Wahey! :D
    SSK wrote: »
    Mackman is our resident Dockers fan on here so he'll be glad of an ally!

Not 100% sure of the reasoning behind the removal of the anchor, but I think it was to do with how synonomous it was with the old Fremantle (i.e. the under-achieving rabble who threw away draft picks for rubbish players)

I can see why they're trying to move past that :D

Haha thats what some people are saying, but the whole thing is actually a fight with Levi Jeans. They have a brand called Dockers with the anchor symbol. They had the rights to it first.

It seems to be that Levi would only let the Dockers have one or the other (anchor or name). Up until a few months ago, Freo werent officially "The Dockers", it wasnt on any merchandise, or paperwork. They were "Fremantle Football Club". But they had the Anchor.
    They came to an agreement this summer with Levi to have the anchor on the crest and are officially the 'The Fremantle Dockers".

Personally i liked the Anchor on the jersey. The new one just looks like they're playing for Chevron. Although im glad they got rid of the red and green.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭REFLINE1

Mackman wrote: »
    Wahey! :D

Haha thats what some people are saying, but the whole thing is actually a fight with Levi Jeans. They have a brand called Dockers with the anchor symbol. They had the rights to it first.

It seems to be that Levi would only let the Dockers have one or the other (anchor or name). Up until a few months ago, Freo werent officially "The Dockers", it wasnt on any merchandise, or paperwork. They were "Fremantle Football Club". But they had the Anchor.
    They came to an agreement this summer with Levi to have the anchor on the crest and are officially the 'The Fremantle Dockers".

Personally i liked the Anchor on the jersey. The new one just looks like they're playing for Chevron. Although im glad they got rid of the red and green.

Another Dockers man here,used to live in WA,but they've only improved since i left!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭osullic

Bulldogs fan,saw them play last summer and all my partners family support them so I didn't have much of a choice.
    Its an awesome sport to see live anyway.

Dominus wrote: »
    GO ON THE SAINTS!! We'll do it this year..gutted about last time but Riewoldt and the boys will do it this year! Looking forward to them skinning the Cats on March 25th.. Up St Kilda :cool:
    The time has come ....4th 00.19 ......48 / 47

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Aero28

Eagles fan here. Hopefully this year they can do better than they have the last 2 seasons. A lot of young guys, and new era for Eagles footy. Good to see them back to winning ways, even though its still only the beginning of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Paudmac

Go Swans!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭colcar

come on the brissie lions.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 iwantinfo

swans fan here!anyone know what size afl jersey i am if im a large over here?thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

iwantinfo wrote: »
    swans fan here!anyone know what size afl jersey i am if im a large over here?thanks

Probably extra large. I'm a medium to large generally and a large AFL guernsey is quite snug on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sully5live

Big into footy since the Saints v Magpies Grand Final(s) last year. Decided to go for Essendon in much the same way as I opted for Leeds Utd in the 1970s, ie. closed my eyes and threw a dart at the map (more or less).

Go Bombers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I foolishly got talked into being a Richmond fan due to a new Australian friend. Never seen them play or whatever. I soon learned they were not the best team around but I'll stick with them.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Probably extra large. I'm a medium to large generally and a large AFL guernsey is quite snug on me.
    Xavi Mate the pies are optional at the matches you dont have to eat them...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

There's two teams i like Carlton and Richmond although when they have to play each other i shout for Carlton.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Slunk wrote: »
    I foolishly got talked into being a Richmond fan due to a new Australian friend. Never seen them play or whatever. I soon learned they were not the best team around but I'll stick with them.

There having a decent enough season this year.Hopefully they can keep riewoldt and bring some more players in to support him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Admirer of the game but don't have a team picked yet, how did everyone here pick there's out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

The wife has supported Freo since they entered the AFL in '96, so when I came along I didn't have a chance :(

Go Freo! :)

This year was my first year supporting AFL and i have decided who i will be supporting once and for all next year.

This is the process of elimination i used bearing in mined that i decided i wouldn't support a non Melbourne team and supporting Geelong would be bandwagoning.

I wan't to support a club with a good future but i also don't wan't to be a bandwagoner. Carlton are out because there corrupt cheaters and another beef i have with Carlton is that when North Melbourne were having financial problems in the 90's Carlton tried to buy the Kangaroos out so that they could take there best players.Oh well it made stuffing the fcukers in the 1999 grand final all the sweeter! Collingwood are out because i don't wan't to be shouting for the same team as Melbournes bogan population and i don't like the way that nearly all there players feel the need to have tatoos!, Essendon are out because they objected to North Melbournes entry into the leage back in the 20's because they shared the same catchment area. North Melbourne lost a lot of fans to the bombers because of that. Hawthorn are out because that would be bandwagoning and Ashton kutcher is rumoured to support them. The Western Bulldogs and St Kilda are out because i think there two clubs on the slide and because of both clubs associations with Barry Hall! I was strongly considering Richmond but i don't wan't to support the same team as an aussie friend of mine!

So im left with Melbourne and North Melbourne.I wen't with North Melbourne because i enjoyed reading about there history,the innovations they introduced that every other club copied,there history with regards to developing indigenous players and i really admire the shinboner spirit.Besides seeing that there Melbournes least supported team they could do with more fans.

shin boner supporter, go the mighty roo's..i've been to every north melbourne game played in victoria for the last 5 years,, unfortunatley that wont be the case this year, as i have returned home to ireland..so happy to see that there is a forum in ireland for footie fans..

At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at North we have the Shinboner spirit. North people can touch that spirit – they are the real Shinboners, they are the club.

The 90's North Melbourne team really showed the shinboners spirit.The won two titles and they should have won a third.Not bad considering that they were the poorest club in the league at that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Blue Shamrock

Support St. Kilda by choice, Richmond for family reasons but usually support any team with Irish players playing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Been following AFL for years but have remained neutral up to now (expect for supporting anyone playing the Pies). Gonna bite the bullet and support Richmond next season, mainly because they now have a fellow Westmeath man on books, I used to live in Richmond and by picking Tiges I can't be accused of being a bandwagoner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

My name is Barrack Obama and I support...West Coast! :D

312974_10150374066169072_32_17c99gq-17c99gs.jpg

• Advertisement

Admirer of the game but don't have a team picked yet, how did everyone here pick there's out of interest?

Will this help.Go for North Melbourne we could do with more fans.:pac:

Adelaide - Franchise, nice, older demographic. Numerous fairweather supporters. Hard to get behind IMO.

Brisbane - Merger between dwindling Melbourne team and failing Brisbane team. Suit Queensland. Not the most passionate.

Carlton - Cheating, corrupt, moneybags, yet still owe the AFL millions. Supporters generally expect success.They along with Hawthorn will be the main threat to Geelong and Collingwoods dominance over the next few years

Collingwood -Australia's best supported team that along with Geelong make up the league's two most dominant teams over the past 5 years.Their fan's have a reputation for bad behaviour but considering the huge number of fan's Collingwood have there will always be a few bad apples.

Essendon - Equal most successful club (with Carlton), arrogant, middle-class,supporters. They are hated by North Melbourne fan's because they stopped the kangaroos entry into the AFL back in the 20's because both clubs share the same catchment area.North Melbourne lost a load of fan's to the bombers because of that.Supporters generally expect success.

Freemantle - Majorly unsuccessful for 15 years, have become very good recently. Very passionate fan's, but often quick to think negative.They have made a huge statement of intent by hiring Ross Lyon as coach.

Geelong -The league most dominant team over the past 5 years.They are based in the city of Geelong which is just outside Melbourne and their fan's are very passionate

Hawthorn - "Family club" that are starting to show the form that won them the title in 08.imo they will break the Geelong-Collingwood dominance.

Melbourne -The oldest club in the league.A club on the rise after years in the wilderness.Very good young team and a promising new coach

North Melbourne - Working class team. Could do with more supporters.Decent young players and a promising young coach this club will be going places over the next few years

Port Adelaide - Mix Collingwood (except a bit less so), add the lack of supporters of North Melbourne, along with a devastating premiership loss in 2007, and you have Port Adelaide.Only the Gold Coast suns finished below them last year.

Richmond -A club with a good history and very passionate supporters. they've had a rough couple of years but they have a good young coach and and a promising young team developing.

St. Kilda -The Mayo footballers and Waterford hurlers of the competition.They could have won their second ever and first title since 1966 in 09 and 10 but lost both finals.I have a feeling that their a club on the slide

Sydney Swans -They did well last year and they have a decent coach in John Longmire.

West Coast Eagles - Finished 4th last year after finishing last the year before and bowed out after a brave performance against Collingwood in the preliminary final.

Western Bulldogs - Working class team.They only won 1 grand final and that was in 1954.Their last final apperance was in the early 60's.They reached 3 preliminary finals in a row in 08,09 and 2010 but they had a bad season this year.Like St Kilda i think there on the slide.There only a bit more classy than Collingwood, but not by much, without being as arrogant or horrible.

The Gold Coast Suns-A new club that played it's first season this year.

Greater Western Sydney Giants-A new club that will be playing it's first ever season next year.Setanta will also be on their books.

Advertisement