Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What fertiliser ?

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

The N in both is exactly the same. I usually go with Urea in the spring as it is just a cheaper formn of N. If the fields need P&K I would go with the 18-6-12. If your land is very short I use it a year long as it is cheap at present.

Thanks for that. I might go with a bag-and-a-half of 18-6-12 in the first field and then a bag in the others

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Grazon

I have a new piece of ground that was rented out the last 20 or more years and I'm sure it hasn't got lime in that time. I'm going to take soil samples but for now what would be the best to spread. If I was to spread 18 6 12 and gran lime can they be spread together.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Grazon wrote: »
    I have a new piece of ground that was rented out the last 20 or more years and I'm sure it hasn't got lime in that time. I'm going to take soil samples but for now what would be the best to spread. If I was to spread 18 6 12 and gran lime can they be spread together.

Yes

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

How much is gran lime at the moment? How soon can you spread it after spreading urea?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

farmer2018 wrote: »
    How much is gran lime at the moment? How soon can you spread it after spreading urea?

Think Granlime is €175/ton
    You can spread straight away
    It’s the ground lime that needs 3-6 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Think Granlime is €175/ton
    You can spread straight away
    It’s the ground lime that needs 3-6 months

How many bags to the acre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭morphy87

Following this thread,just wondering does anyone use sulfur here and if so how much and did they see much improvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

how long must you wait after spreading slurry before you could spread 18-6-12 for silage? Could I go out with the 18-6-12 2 or 3 days after the slurry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Dunedin

mengele wrote: »
    how long must you wait after spreading slurry before you could spread 18-6-12 for silage? Could I go out with the 18-6-12 2 or 3 days after the slurry?

One week.

farmer2018 wrote: »
    How many bags to the acre?

1 bag Gran lime per year
    Spread in spring

• Advertisement

Generally put out the meadow fertilizer first week in April and cut 6 weeks later
    This year we put out 1 bag urea/ac last week and will go with compound next with the aim to cut around 20th May
    Could I leave the compound until after Easter or should I spread it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

1 bag Gran lime per year
    Spread in spring

Depends on ph.
    I put 3 bags of gran lime out yearly on rented ground. If you want the ground to yield you need to feed it.

Depends on ph.
    I put 3 bags of gran lime out yearly on rented ground. If you want the ground to yield you need to feed it.

Didn’t realise
    Was told 1 bag /ac/yr and 2 at reseeding

What PH is your ground?
    Is there a rule of thumb for PH and bags to use?

Didn’t realise
    Was told 1 bag /ac/yr and 2 at reseeding

What PH is your ground?
    Is there a rule of thumb for PH and bags to use?

It was 5.5 2 years ago when I tested it. It yielded 550 bales from 20 acres across 3 cuts last year.
    I'd say 1 bag is to maintain ph. You'd need more if its sub optimal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Isn't gran lime a hugely expensive way of putting lime out? Fine for a small paddock but for a larger area like 20 acres wouldn't you be better getting 20 ton in a couple of years running and get it spread?

Panch18 wrote: »
    Isn't gran lime a hugely expensive way of putting lime out? Fine for a small paddock but for a larger area like 20 acres wouldn't you be better getting 20 ton in a couple of years running and get it spread?

Not really. Maybe if PH is very low but for maintenance granlime is quit efficient. As more and more reseach is showing that s huge amount of lime is lost to leeching especially the better finer particles.

As well as granlime you have growmax which is a hydrated lime based granular lime but needs to be spread before lime. Granular limes are spread in spring so you should have no losses to leeching. Buying in large amounts they are more than likely costing 130-140/ton. Growmax is more expensive at about 170/ton but it is 70%stronger than granlime AFAIK

Slava Ukrainii

It was 5.5 2 years ago when I tested it. It yielded 550 bales from 20 acres across 3 cuts last year.
    I'd say 1 bag is to maintain ph. You'd need more if its sub optimal

Did you ever try the growmax and have you tested the PH lately

Slava Ukrainii

Panch18 wrote: »

Usually I would but its yearly rent and they'd happily drop me for a tillage guy if he offered more. Which could likely happen in the area I'm in. Guy with 160 ac next door is paying 300 plus entitlements for spring barley. I'm not paying near that

Did you ever try the growmax and have you tested the PH lately

No just gouldings from a merchant that's down the road.
    I stuck a ph prob in it this year and it read 6.5 but I dont know how accurate that is

Usually I would but its yearly rent and they'd happily drop me for a tillage guy if he offered more. Which could likely happen in the area I'm in. Guy with 160 ac next door is paying 300 plus entitlements for spring barley. I'm not paying near that

No wonder tillage guys complain they are making no money. On a five year average that not much with break even for spring barley. Lad renting must not know there a calculator on all phones with over 10 years now

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Yeah the tillage lads in tillage areas like yours and mine will pay any money to get places.

You wouldn’t want to have a place looking too good when it’s only on 11 month system

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

morphy87 wrote: »
    Following this thread,just wondering does anyone use sulfur here and if so how much and did they see much improvement?

Bar the first round of urea I get all fert with sulphur in it. Helps the plant turn the nitrogen into more available protein. I thing they say 15 to 20 units. Some use ASN but that would only be for silage ground for grazing it's better to use smaller quantities more often, 18.6.12 + S or sulphacan or protected urea +S. They tend to have 4 to 7 of sulphur in them.

No wonder tillage guys complain they are making no money. On a five year average that not much with break even for spring barley. Lad renting must not know there a calculator on all phones with over 10 years now

Most likely being funded through a large existing sfp. If they can make a Bob out of it they'll take it and it lowers there machinery costs per acre

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

What are people using for second cut silage? Any recommendations to accompany about 2000gl/acre of slurry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    What are people using for second cut silage? Any recommendations to accompany about 2000gl/acre of slurry?

If it was good slurry, got p and k for the first cut, you’d probably be ok with sulphacan.

But it all depends on your current p and k and without soil testing you are only guessing.

Advertisement