Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainfall/Drought Watch 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,107 ✭✭✭highdef

Some light rain now in North Kildare. Oddly enough, the breeze has died off completely :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

13.2 mm in North Kerry
    981hpa.
    11C

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Tipping it down and windy in Galway city for the last three hours. Good for the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Heavy enough mid County Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

13.9 in Cork City, pelting down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Pouring In cavan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I love the sound of heavy engorged raindrops in the dark when I know it'll be sunny in the morning :)

21mm now and counting. Getting heavier.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Same here near Tralee, just over 21mm

Wind gone light for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Up to 20.2mm now in Cork City. Wind has died down now too

• Advertisement

Same here near Tralee, just over 21mm

Wind gone light for now.

We had that in an hour last Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Overnight synop totals (12 hours to 7 am):

Roches point: 24 mm
    Cork Airport: 23 mm
    Sherkin Island, Knock: 12 mm
    Finner: 11 mm
    Johnstown Castle, Valentia: 10 mm

Had 23.2 mm overnight
    Wind 40 km/h
    981hpa
    WSW wind.
    10.9C

North Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

6.4mm overnight in Kildare. Was expecting more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The burnt grass will soon be all gone from my lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I know some think we all want dry with warm to hot weather, but the problem remains as many parts of the country have not received enough rain and water restrictions or wells going dry is going to be a real possibility.

RobertKK wrote: »
    I know some think we all want dry with warm to hot weather, but the problem remains as many parts of the country have not received enough rain and water restrictions or wells going dry is going to be a real possibility.

Farmers are struggling with the lack of water. No water, no veg, no grass for cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Chart showing running 28 day runnig percentage totals (blue) compared with the running 365 day average for the country as a whole:

S0petbv.png

(data c/o Met Eireann)

Despite the recent rain (which did help bring roughly near average amounts over the last 7 days) we still, as many have noted above, remain in a what is now pretty long running dry spell, and if this meteogram for Kilkenny, based on the latest ECM run, is anything to go by the very little if any useful rain is in the forecast for this coming working week for these harder hit regions:

gCfv7Dc.png

And countrywide rainfall total forecast up to Friday evening from the same model:

qtdMr9Q.png

And pretty similar story with regards the latest GFS rainfall total forecast out to the same period, but with more of a chance of higher totals (mainly due to potential showers breaking out during the midweek period) in the drier regions.

nLFq44t.png

Let's see.

Charts and maps taken from here: https://meteologix.com/ie

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Farmers are struggling with the lack of water. No water, no veg, no grass for cattle.

They really should try and have some system in place to store water for the year for times like this, we had 8 months of deluges and more rain than we could handle between August last summer and the start of March just gone. Dry spells like the current one are not that uncommon in Ireland, a bit of planning for times like this would go along way!.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gonzo wrote: »
    They really should try and have some system in place to store water for the year for times like this, we had 8 months of deluges and more rain than we could handle between August last summer and the start of March just gone. Dry spells like the current one are not that uncommon in Ireland, a bit of planning for times like this would go along way!.

Back in February passing flooded fields, i said to my mother the farmers should be storing this water in case we go from one extreme to the other. On the upside, anyone doing Turf is saving plenty in these times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Back in February passing flooded fields, i said to my mother the farmers should should be storing this water in case we go from one extreme to the other. On the upside, anyone doing Turf is saving plenty in these times.

An inch of rain equates to about 80k litrees per acre, land is short about 2 inches now.

That is a lot of water

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Danzy wrote: »
    An inch of rain equates to about 80k litrees per acre, land is short about 2 inches now.

That is a lot of water

At easier and cheaper to feed out silage during droughts to cattle than try store that sort of volume of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The brown grass at the moment in Dublin, about a month earlier than 2018 from what I remember.

Pic at Sutton Strand yesterday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

One inch of rain falling on 1 acre of ground is equal to about 27,154 gallons and weighs about 113 tons

102,800 litres is one inch of rain over 1 acre.

Yeah so a 100 acre farm for the equivalent of an inch of rain would need about 10.28 million litres and that would be in one go and if over 8 weeks of dry weather and one needed let say 5 inches of rain over that period, that would be 51.4 million litres of water!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I'll raise you:

To average 1.0 mm of rainfall over the whole country requires 84.4 trillion litres of rain. That's 84.4 billion tonnes or 34.5 million Olympic swimming pools.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Or the capacity of 6000 of both Vartry reservoirs!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

latest GFS and ECM runs are not good news if your hoping for a return to a normal service with regular rainfall. After a brief flirt with colder conditions next week from the north, with a chance of a few showers, we revert back to high pressure and warmth into the second week of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Havent had a prolonged spell of dry weather like this since 2013 here and this one is drier than even that so far. Maybe another month to go followed by a washout July?

514319.PNG

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Havent had a prolonged spell of dry weather like this since 2013 here and this one is drier than even that so far. Maybe another month to go followed by a washout July?
    ]

Some of the longer range models are hinting that this spell/pattern could last all the way into October!

However I have my doubts, I think this summer will slowly degrade as time goes on with a mixed July and a typical rubbish August but we shall see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Gonzo wrote: »
    Some of the longer range models are hinting that this spell/pattern could last all the way into October!

However I have my doubts, I think this summer will slowly degrade as time goes on with a mixed July and a typical rubbish August but we shall see.

July has been my driest month here, with only one wettish one in 2015 out of the last 7 years recorded. The weather definitely is stuck in a rut right now.
    I think your forecast could well be right.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement