Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Millerstown, kilcock

• 11-04-2019 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

Put a deposit down on the new 3 bed semi detached in Millerstown, kilcock. The new 3 bedroom style is fabulous, glad we waited for this phase!

Just a quick question, maybe someone here can advise.
    Anyone living there have any issues with getting sky? I'm currently in Maynooth and sky seems to offer much more than virgin media! And the internet speed here is brilliant. But when I used the Eircode for the show home I was advised that sky isn't available?
    There is no Eircode given to the house we've chosen just yet, so can't get exact quote or info from sky just yet so maybe that will change.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Triciadumgret

Oh moving in myself in July - I'll look into it and let you know as I should have an Eircode as the house is built.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

That would be great! We did pop down there a day ago to see if the house has been started (only starting foundations) and there was a sky van there so looks promising anyway!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sky van will have been for a dish

Sky internet is delivered by cable/fibre depending on area and will be installed by an openeir or siro installer, probably KN networks for either

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Triciadumgret

That's good as we were wondering if you can put a dish on the front of the house!! I'll let you know!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Legally you cannot put a dish on the front of a house. Or the chimney. Well - you can apply for planning permission but you won't get it!

The exemption for dishes is a single dish, 1 meter or less, to the rear or side only.

• Advertisement

What direction does the dish face? No chimney on the 3 bed anyway so that's all good, we have a west facing garden so I'd imagine if a dish is needed it can go on the back or side of the house.

I know they're all wired for Virgin media but I reckon you can pay to lease the line to get sky broadband instead. 6km away in Maynooth the sky wifi is amazingly fast!

28 degrees south east.

Sky copper is maxed out at 100mbit, Virgin at 500. Virgins wifi hardware is crap.

There isn't either SIRO or OpenEir fibre in Kilcock yet, when there is Sky will be able to offer 1000mbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭djbulldogg1983

No sky or Eir internet yet and there won’t be for another year or so.
    Virgin Internet is available.
    Property Maintenance Company do not allow dishes to the front or the side of the houses.

Hmmm so possibly a bit of an issue so.
    What is virgin media like? Good internet? I’ve always either used eir or sky so wouldn’t know!
    What mbps does the internet run? In Maynooth sky is getting me 100mbps when it feel like it, normally 60 however!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭djbulldogg1983

What is virgin media like? Good internet? I’ve always either used eir or sky so wouldn’t know!
    What mbps does the internet run? In Maynooth sky is getting me 100mbps when it feel like it, normally 60 however!

We have it here and it’s great.

• Advertisement

Ah grand a bit of a relief so! Still a good bit away from completion so I’ll have loads of time to look virgin media up and see what channels/packages they supply!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

I am in ryebride down the road and Sky dont have lines there either. Called about it and was told would have to get internet with eircom/vodafone/siro first to put the line in and then after that contract is up sky can use their line. wasnt worth the hassle for me personally as i only use internet never bothered with tv so i just use virign which i find great.

Sky don't have any lines, anywhere. They use Eir or SIRO lines.

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Virgin internet is infinitely better than Sky internet.

Sky TV is infinitely better than Virgin TV.

Unfortunately, each of them suck at 1/2 their offering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭g3l8usd9inoptz

Virgin will be bringing out their new tv box this year. 4k with all the bells and whistles that go with it.
    awec wrote: »

Virgin internet is infinitely better than Sky internet.

Sky TV is infinitely better than Virgin TV.

Unfortunately, each of them suck at 1/2 their offering.

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Virgin will be bringing out their new tv box this year. 4k with all the bells and whistles that go with it.

We've heard this all before.

It'll take a long time for them to repair their reputation in the TV market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭g3l8usd9inoptz

I'm not all that hung up on it to be honest.

Just sharing what I heard is all mr mod

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

Hi,

Wondering if there is anyone on here that has bought in Millerstown, I had been looking at Ledwill park and there is another phase being released next week. I took a trip to Millerstown today and there was a 3 bed I was very impressed by, prices also seem a little lower than Ledwill park.

My question is how often/bad is the flooding of the floodplain at the front of the estate? I've read another thread on Boards talking about it and seen videos online. Obviously the flooding would be a concern. Has anyone had issues with home insurance etc?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

Its not that bad all the flooding I have seen has never gone onto the road. The flood prevention put in place is doing its job. They were made to do more and it really seemed to work. I would see other estates in the area flood sooner now before Millertown.

Worth checking out but looks like it should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

I would rather live somewhere where they didnt have to build flood prevention schemes etc. Why risk it considering it's a huge investment.
    Its not that bad all the flooding I have seen has never gone onto the road. The flood prevention put in place is doing its job. They were made to do more and it really seemed to work. I would see other estates in the area flood sooner now before Millertown.

Worth checking out but looks like it should be ok.

• Advertisement

I would rather live somewhere where they didnt have to build flood prevention schemes etc. Why risk it considering it's a huge investment.

Considering a lot of estates have flood prevention schemes in place by the OPW it would really limit your choices!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Ah grand a bit of a relief so! Still a good bit away from completion so I’ll have loads of time to look virgin media up and see what channels/packages they supply!

In new estates, Virgin are now supplying their new Fibre to the Home product. We pay for 500mbps at 54.95 a month and get consistently over 470Mbps and sometimes it goes as high as 630Mbps.

Eir are in a strange place at the moment in that they have made a decision not to lay old style copper lines but haven't yet started offering new fibre lines. Our neighbours in Mariavilla in Maynooth ordered Sky, only to find out that sky cant provide broadband due to no phone lines present. But they were still tied into contract with sky for TV. They've ended up with Sky TV and Virgin broadband, which is the best of both worlds but they dont get the discount for any bundling of services.

In new estates, Virgin are now supplying their new Fibre to the Home product. We pay for 500mbps at 54.95 a month and get consistently over 470Mbps and sometimes it goes as high as 630Mbps.

Eir are in a strange place at the moment in that they have made a decision not to lay old style copper lines but haven't yet started offering new fibre lines. Our neighbours in Mariavilla in Maynooth ordered Sky, only to find out that sky cant provide broadband due to no phone lines present. But they were still tied into contract with sky for TV. They've ended up with Sky TV and Virgin broadband, which is the best of both worlds but they dont get the discount for any bundling of services.

Decided to go with virgin, sky and eir are now available in Millerstown, but I’ll be honest we have sky at home and it’s really unreliable and due to bad beef with eir it’s a no go 😂 we did have problems with the house being “unavailable” despite the points but to be fair to virgin they sorted it out quickly once notified!

Most housing estates arent built beside a river and on flood plains. I've had numerous houses. The first thing the insurance company asks is if it's near any rivers etc. Not many homes are built that close to rivers in this day and age thankfully.
    Considering a lot of estates have flood prevention schemes in place by the OPW it would really limit your choices!

Most housing estates arent built beside a river and on flood plains. I've had numerous houses. The first thing the insurance company asks is if it's near any rivers etc. Not many homes are built that close to rivers in this day and age thankfully.

Ah, yes, but many housing estates still need flood prevention works in place, especially meath and kildare because of the bogs. And considering kilcock, maynooth, leixlip, etc all have the grand canal running through them they all need measures in place.

Ledwill park is also right beside the grand canal and has flood barrows on connaught street which are there since before that estate was even thought of.

In maynooth almost every estate has flood prevention.

No problem getting insurance for millerstown, just like theres no problem getting insurance for meadowbrook in maynooth - because the OPW has put preventions in place.

The bogs are no where near the towns of Maynooth or Kilcock. The bogs are in donadea and the surrounding areas.

Secondly its the royal canal that flows through Kilcock, Maynoooth and Leixlip and this has never flooded in any of these towns from my memory. The grand canal goes through sallins, robertstown etc. Ledwill is beside the royal canal but is on a much higher gradient and also the royal canal has never flooded. Where as the rye river has.

I had a deposit down on a house in Millerstown and there were issues with insurance hence the delay in residents moving in. Further work was carried out by the developer.

Im from Maynooth the only place where I have seen flooding is meadowbrook which was built over 20years ago. Its not up the OPW to install flood preventions. Its the developer who looks after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Ah, yes, but many housing estates still need flood prevention works in place, especially meath and kildare because of the bogs. And considering kilcock, maynooth, leixlip, etc all have the grand canal running through them they all need measures in place.

Ledwill park is also right beside the grand canal and has flood barrows on connaught street which are there since before that estate was even thought of.

No problem getting insurance for millerstown, just like theres no problem getting insurance for meadowbrook in maynooth - because the OPW has put preventions in place.

Ledwill Park is on a hill (such as we have hills in Kildare LOL)
    Sean Reilly wants to build a thousand more houses in Millerstown through the strategic housing initiative. He is also refusing to maintain or extend the flood relief works.

Ledwill Park is on a hill (such as we have hills in Kildare LOL)
    Sean Reilly wants to build a thousand more houses in Millerstown through the strategic housing initiative. He is also refusing to maintain or extend the flood relief works.

Where did you hear that about the flood works?

The bogs are no where near the towns of Maynooth or Kilcock. The bogs are in donadea and the surrounding areas.

Secondly its the royal canal that flows through Kilcock, Maynoooth and Leixlip and this has never flooded in any of these towns from my memory. The grand canal goes through sallins, robertstown etc. Ledwill is beside the royal canal but is on a much higher gradient and also the royal canal has never flooded. Where as the rye river has.

I had a deposit down on a house in Millerstown and there were issues with insurance hence the delay in residents moving in. Further work was carried out by the developer.

Im from Maynooth the only place where I have seen flooding is meadowbrook which was built over 20years ago. Its not up the OPW to install flood preventions. Its the developer who looks after this.

I'm from maynooth too, my parents bought back in the late 80s and can remember the flooding around meadowbrook (Ive been unfortunately ousted out of buying in Maynooth) millerstown gets quite boggy when it rains heavily - quite boggy, but whatever works the developer did seem to do the job as the houses are elevated over the flood Barrow.
    They seem to be elevating the estate up and up, the insurers didnt have any issue with giving us insurance, I advised of previous flooding but they were satisfied with the works carried out and we have flood cover.

Maybe it was different a while back, I reckon the estate had to prove itself. I can check with my parents but I think meadowbrook had the same issues.

Royal canal/grand canal, always getting those two mixed up!

• Advertisement

August 2018

Developer going to Court over Kildare housing flood issues

The developer of a large new Kildare housing project has said that it has begun court proceedings over the scheme.

McGarrell Reilly said today (August 3) it has initiated judicial review proceedings against Meath County Council in respect of the Millerstown housing development in Kilcock.

A spokesperson for McGarrell Reilly said this follows “protracted discussions with the council which have failed to reach a resolution.”

The Leader understands the company is taking a different interpretation of an Bord Pleanala text to Meath County Council.

The background to the dispute is understood to concern compliance with flood risk.

The company said: “Flood works on McGarrell Reilly’s lands have been certified as complete and we have received confirmations that the Millerstown properties are protected from flood risk. Additional flood management works on third party lands outside the development, requested by the council, do not offer any additional protection to the Millerstown development.”

The spokesperson concluded: “During this process of discussion with the council, we provided caretaker agreements for purchasers to allow them to take possession of their properties until the issue is resolved.”

Where did you hear that about the flood works?

Advertisement