Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 chenz116

Just rang UPC after seeing this forum.

I have home phone any time and broadband unlimited for €49

Im out of contract next month and said I was concidering leaving because of the offers i can get from other companies.

I was offered the next 4 months half and then back to full price, but i have to agree a new 12 month contact.

Seems ok to me €100 in my pocket

What ya think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Interesting thread...
    My contract just expired yesterday and was about to ring Eircom this week to get a better deal.
    I am paying 95 euro a month for 50mb internet and digital tv in 2 rooms. No sky sports or anything like that. Feel it's a rip off. Got an Eircom guy call to the house a few months ago to say I could get the same from them for 66 euro. Of course... still in contract at the time so what could you do.

But really interesting reading this thread. Gonna give UPC a call tomorrow and see if they can offer me a better deal.

Make sure you do your research and have Eircoms costs at hand to quote to them. I negotiated the Horizon Max, with Anytime Phone and the top bb for €45 last March. It will be going back to full price in March so I will be initiating the process again next March. If they want to hold onto me they will gave to deal.

Never take their first offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

chenz116 wrote: »

Im out of contract next month and said I was concidering leaving because of the offers i can get from other companies.

I was offered the next 4 months half and then back to full price, but i have to agree a new 12 month contact.

What ya think ?

who is your tv provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

This threasd has me confused, I was with that bloody shower for 4 years never missed a payment, last year when I was out of contract they offered me half price tv for 12 months but then they claim that they sent me a letter after 7 months informing me that they were increasing prices and that my offer was no longer valid...

So as a point of principle I told them I would not be paying any extra to what we agreed verbally and that I wished to leave unless they could offer me a better deal something akin to what they offer their new customers, now considering I had BB TV and 3 extra boxes with them I reckoned they would at least offer me some kind of deal...not a bit of it...

a really shiity company with really ****ty attitudes to loyal customers, I am with SKY now and I could not be happier, up yours UPC!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 chenz116

kooga wrote: »
    who is your tv provider?

SKY

told them i dont want UPC tv its a horrible system

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

What ya think ?

They did something similar for me. Then I gave my 30 days cancelation notice. Got a phonecall the next day with a better offer.

SKY

told them i dont want UPC tv its a horrible system

ok you need to research how much moving (in theory ) is to eircom.........ring upc back tell them you are cancelling straight up. if they ask why say moving to eircom much better deal as a NEW CUSTOMER and if no improved offer give your 31 days cancel notice...........you can change your mind anytime and they will ring u.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭A Law

What ya think ?

Reckon u can do better. I pay 26 for that for a year but mine is 52 full price. My year is almost up on the discounts tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Lovelyguy

Hi all -

I rang up there saying I was trying to get a cheaper option and was thinking of going to Eircom. I'm currently paying 73 a month, have been a customer for over 6 years and never got a special intro half price. Never missed a payment etc.

I also told them I'd no interest in the phone part of the bundle and would take the basic TV pack with reduced speed broadband once it was unlimited. Was basically told I'm in contract until 28th Jan and made no effort to try keep my business. Looking forward to leaving them now.

Lovelyguy wrote: »
    Hi all -

I rang up there saying I was trying to get a cheaper option and was thinking of going to Eircom. I'm currently paying 73 a month, have been a customer for over 6 years and never got a special intro half price. Never missed a payment etc.

I also told them I'd no interest in the phone part of the bundle and would take the basic TV pack with reduced speed broadband once it was unlimited. Was basically told I'm in contract until 28th Jan and made no effort to try keep my business. Looking forward to leaving them now.

u need to go through with it now, ring them end of december and give your 32 days notice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

How does a UPC contract work?
    I got them in 2 years ago this coming Dec.
    Is it one year, then rolls / renews each year?

you are out of contract

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

whiskeyman wrote: »
    How does a UPC contract work?
    I got them in 2 years ago this coming Dec.
    Is it one year, then rolls / renews each year?

You were probably on a 1 year contract (there are new 18 month contracts now, but they're only recent), so after that first year, your contract is a rolling contract, month by month. If you want to cancel, ring up and tell them, get the email address, and give your 30 days notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

So I called UPC about cancelling. They ask why, which is ..something. I said we're out of contract and what we're being offered isn't low enough. She then explained how the deal for 53 for new customers is actually more pricey because of all the other stuff they have to pay for like a box etc. :confused: as if that's meant to make them sound good!

They didn't offer anything lower than this ****e 55 per month for 6 months, then back to 70 for the remainder, so I said yeah still cancelling so. After 4 years, this is bollix. She gave me the email address to send our cancellation to, and said it'll be confirmed then.
    Sky here we come :) they don't really have a clue do they

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

Be careful and check your bills after entering new contact.
    I am with them over 15 yrs and went into new deal in August. Sept bill arrive overcharge old price which was €40 more expensive rang they said they would sort it, Oct bill same thing rang again they promised me they would sort it load of calls and they tried to tell me my new contract would start from Oct I said no way. They eventually agreed to back date to August and refund the 2 months I was overcharged.
    Along comes Nov bill overcharged yet again more calls and they claiming I am not owed money. Told today I will be refunded but will not hold my breath.

To be honest at this stage I want rid of them so if I don't get refund by end of week I am cancelling and will not be paying a fee.
    Have all 3(phone/tv and broadband) with them with 2 extra tv boxes have priced Sky but seems very dear will have to look into other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Pinkman

Is there generally a set % discount they start off with when you get through to the customer loyalty department or does it depend on what package you are on? I am on the 200mb Horizon Max and pay over €80 per month. Was offered an €18 reduction per month. Think I will go ahead and cancel and see if they ring back with a better offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Pinkman wrote: »
    Is there generally a set % discount they start off with when you get through to the customer loyalty department or does it depend on what package you are on? I am on the 200mb Horizon Max and pay over €80 per month. Was offered an €18 reduction per month. Think I will go ahead and cancel and see if they ring back with a better offer.

Do It chance your arm. I am not sure about there criteria. I dont seem a great customer. Yet I have gotten 50% off for the last 2 years. Well this being my 2nd year. Before that I got €15 off.

If you send the cancellation email, is that it, no going back?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭rocally

They offered me a deal today to stay after I cancelled - Tv, Broadband and Phone (sports + setanta) €91 until Feb then €99 for 3 months and €139 after that with a horizon box - The 139 after six months is too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Nollog

Gongoozler wrote: »

You could sign back up as a new customer.

• Advertisement

Gongoozler wrote: »

No. You have to give 30 day notice. If they don't call you. Ring them on day 28 and just say you will accept the offer you have been given.
    It's perfectly fine to that.
    That have even rang me to take there box back 1 week into my 30 days. I told them to come back when my 30 days was up.

No. You have to give 30 day notice. If they don't call you. Ring them on day 28 and just say you will accept the offer you have been given.
    It's perfectly fine to that.
    That have even rang me to take there box back 1 week into my 30 days. I told them to come back when my 30 days was up.

Thanks. I don't think my housemate would be happy to do that, so I'm just going to leave it to her to decide what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

Hi,

I got offered a package half price for 6 months on a 12 month contract. Apparently the loyalty department now only offer half price deals for 6months? Does anyone know if this is the case? Has anyone gotten a half price offer for 12 months recently?

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    Hi,

I got offered a package half price for 6 months on a 12 month contract. Apparently the loyalty department now only offer half price deals for 6months? Does anyone know if this is the case? Has anyone gotten a half price offer for 12 months recently?

I got a half price deal back in July. Mine is a basic enough package though.
    I have 30Mb BB. Middle tv package and phone. I get mine for €36 for 12 months. My only real requirement was unlimited BB data.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    Hi,

I got the same 6 month deal, but they said new packages are coming out in feb and you can change again as the contract will end then and not in 12 months, although I didn't really understand why

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Pinkman

Asked for the half price for 6 months deal today and was told it had expired and the half price was only for 4 months from now on. Eventually they said they would make an exception. Should have just asked for half price for the full year starting off. They said there will be a €5 increase in the package from Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

I got the same 6 month deal, but they said new packages are coming out in feb and you can change again as the contract will end then and not in 12 months, although I didn't really understand why

A price increase means they are breaking their contract terms with you and as such you can opt out of the contract , i.e. get them to give you another deal

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

They said there will be a €5 increase in the package from Feb.

Guess that means there are price increases coming for all of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

I was on half price for 12 months which was about to expire. The best they offered was half price for 6 months on a 12 month contract. But she said all prices are going up in Feb with new contracts and new deals, so I signed up and will see what they can offer next month.

Everyone will be able to change/cancel/renegotiate their contract in Jan - emails about the price increase will start going out on the 7th Jan and be staggered according to your billing date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭jay0109

They just confirmed to me that Sky Sports goes up to €40 in February because Sky have increased the price to them....so now you know where your money goes when your hear of Prem Lg getting a record new deal!
    Offered it to me for 37e now and I asked for a 20% discount which I was told a few months ago was there for me to avail of. But they seem to be toughening up, as they said no way to the 20% now because I'm already on a discounted overall package price. So I said we'll leave it so

Time to start hopping between Sky and UPC in alternate years to bag the best discounts
    Do you still need a landline for Sky?

Advertisement