Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-11-2019, 12:11   #286
ecowise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaoth Laidir View Post
Radars don't need to be located at current stations. They can be anywhere. That opens up a lot more possible locations, unless we get the usual nimbysm like we have with the wind farms. But from that list, certainly Waterford and Donegal Airports are most needed. Others would be south Kerry/west Cork, Belmullet/Mace Head and somewhere like Mullingar.

I suspect they are counting on the radar systems in Wales and Cornwall to cover the SE. Coastal locations west of Cork and south of Donegal would seem to be the most attractive in terms of maximum range. After that it is down to spacing between them (assuming there will be more than one), proximity to service personnel, good road access, terrain type (avoiding mountains is hard in the inland direction!) and availability of a good (3 phase?) power supply.
Advertisement
30-11-2019, 14:31   #287
Rougies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecowise View Post
I suspect they are counting on the radar systems in Wales and Cornwall to cover the SE. Coastal locations west of Cork and south of Donegal would seem to be the most attractive in terms of maximum range. After that it is down to spacing between them (assuming there will be more than one), proximity to service personnel, good road access, terrain type (avoiding mountains is hard in the inland direction!) and availability of a good (3 phase?) power supply.

The Welsh radar doesn't give good coverage for the SE and the Cornwall one is way out of range.

Last edited by Rougies; 30-11-2019 at 14:35.
(3) thanks from:
30-11-2019, 18:41   #288
SeedySam22

All things being equal for any site the 1st preference should be height. We don't want our precious radars being knee deep in water.
30-11-2019, 18:55   #289
ecowise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rougies View Post
The Welsh radar doesn't give good coverage for the SE and the Cornwall one is way out of range.

Sorry for not making myself clearer. By SE I meant for observing rain systems coming from the SE. I think both Wales & Cornwall are very useful for this. Likewise on the SW & W coasts we want to see systems as early as possible before they make landfall.
30-11-2019, 21:33   #290
JCX BXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedySam22 View Post
All things being equal for any site the 1st preference should be height. We don't want our precious radars being knee deep in water.
I'm not sure I understand you, why would a radar be placed somewhere liable to being knee deep in water?
Advertisement
01-12-2019, 22:34   #291
Harry Palmr

It would be nice for the SE to get some decent coverage - even the full fat weather stations are rare down here.
02-12-2019, 11:32   #292
ecowise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Palmr View Post
It would be nice for the SE to get some decent coverage - even the full fat weather stations are rare down here.

If they are going to deploy another 3 C-band radars in addition to Dublin and Shannon then I would include the SE. One in Belmullet, one in Valentia and one in Waterford. My reasons for these locations are to get maximum additional coverage from easily serviceable sites. Other locations would also work but these seem reasonable. Any other suggestions?
02-12-2019, 11:40   #293
ecowise

Useful interactive map for weather radar installations relevant to Europe:

http://radar.meteo.be/en/1682986-In+Europe.html
Thanks from:
02-12-2019, 13:47   #294
Discodog

The best guide to new locations may be to look for existing government owned sites.
Advertisement
02-12-2019, 21:06   #295
SeedySam22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCX BXC View Post
I'm not sure I understand you, why would a radar be placed somewhere liable to being knee deep in water?
While both radars are high up in the airports they could have access closed off due to local flooding in relatively low lying land
Today, 18:43   #296
spookwoman

Radar isn't looking too good in Shannon

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion