Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-12-2018, 09:03   #61
whisky_galore

Why in the world is a Garda wearing a conventional tie when you have scumbags who would try and pull it in a scuffle? Thought they would have clip on ones.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
04-12-2018, 09:04   #62
tabby aspreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTA69 View Post
Right so because he happens to have a gun in his possession he's obliged to use it? Pretty dodgy logic there mate.
What in your opinion should the Guard have done
04-12-2018, 09:06   #63
davehey79

Send a message via MSN to davehey79
Is this dog in question mute ?? Yeah dogs can be quiet but not so much as a bark IF he's there
(2) thanks from:
04-12-2018, 09:06   #64
Graniteville

I remember catching a shoplifter (member of the traveller community - naturally) and she screamed the exact same way.

Must be built into their ethnicity.
04-12-2018, 09:07   #65
BattleCorp

One stupid traveller. Assaulting the truck driver on camera, in front of an armed detective, and then assaulting the detective who has a loaded gun in his hand. Not very bright.
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
04-12-2018, 09:08   #66
Fann Linn

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisky_galore View Post
Why in the world is a Garda wearing a conventional tie when you have scumbags who would try and pull it in a scuffle? Thought they would have clip on ones.

Because he has a gun.
(2) thanks from:
04-12-2018, 09:09   #67
FTA69

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabby aspreme View Post
What in your opinion should the Guard have done
Probably shouldn't have drawn a gun in the first place over a bit of shouting and scuffling.
(2) thanks from:
04-12-2018, 09:09   #68
CrankyHaus

Quote:
See when the camera pans out I don’t see any dog? He video doesnt show any dog at any stage. Surely if the German Shepard had have jumped up and caught the guard’s tie then he’d have been visible? As I said, maybe it did happen and the video is just unclear and misleading - a common occurrence.

What would I expect the guard to do if someone did grab him? Whack him in the face with the gun perhaps? Call for help? CS spray him? A scuffle can’t be reason to shoot someone. I remember seeing a brawl outside a pub and guards were getting grabbed and knocked over while trying to break it up, I wouldn’t have thought that them going around shooting people in the legs would have been a proportionate response.
A tie is basically a noose. You can easily be strangled by one.

Once his tie was grabbed he had no real option to pull out anything else so i wouldn't criticise him for firing a shot. Wearing a tie to an altercation that requires a gun, or any threatening situation, is straight up keystone cops stuff though. I assumed An Garda would have the same rules about clip-ons that eg the NYPD have.
04-12-2018, 09:09   #69
lawred2

Quote:
It's the dog thing that's bemusing me more than anything, like how would you even go about making a recording of an armed guard being grabbed by a dog, the dog getting shot and then not have the dog be in the screen once? It's baffling really.

If the guard was grabbed by a German Shepard I wouldn't contest the shooting at all that having been said.
Unlikely that there was any dog... Sure a German Shepherd would be clearly heard snarling when grabbing that guard's tie

Unless these travelers have engineered a stealth dog.. and if so there's a lucrative career in dog training for security services open to them.

They could leave all this type of business behind them..
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-12-2018, 09:10   #70
Strawberry Milkshake

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawred2 View Post
That camera 'lady' is a fine specimen of humanity..

What's going on there anyway?

Is the driver of the blue van being assaulted in plain view of an armed guard? And the same lad then grabs the tie of the guard? Seems like a bullet in the leg is justified to me really..

What's this about a dog?
There sounds like one shot which killed the dog and the same bullet also injured the fella who was handling the dog.

https://www.longfordleader.ie/news/h...XDsxI.facebook

Poor dog but his death is on his handlers hands, not the Gardai.
(3) thanks from:
04-12-2018, 09:12   #71
ted1

Quote:
Doesn’t show him shooting a dog it all, just seems that he’s putting one in the fella’s leg for grabbing his tie. The video doesn’t clearly show what happened at all really.

I think the lad who got shot was doing the absolute fool but the idea an armed cop would shoot someone for grabbing his tie is pretty worrying, he had a multitude of options available to him and seemed to jump on the decision to shoot someone pretty quickly. Putting a bullet in a person is a serious thing and in my opinion not an immediate option for general loutishness. That having been said, maybe he did justifiably shoot a dog and the fella took a ricochet. Who knows really?

I’m sure this thread will be full of hearty cheers for a cop shooting a Traveller doing the bollix, but at the end of the day give the state of our police force I wouldn’t be too eager to be lauding them banging people whenever they feel like it. If their reaction to every bit of a scuffle is shooting someone then we’re in for a lot of sh*t in future.
Why was he wearing a proper tie? Aren’t they meant to wear clip on’s. Can’t imagine health and safety allowing them
04-12-2018, 09:12   #72
amcalester

Quote:
Probably shouldn't have drawn a gun in the first place over a bit of shouting and scuffling.
How do you know it hasn't de-escalated from something more to a bit of shouting and scuffling because he has his gun.

The woman is screaming assault after all.
04-12-2018, 09:12   #73
Buttonftw

Quote:
Right so because he happens to have a gun in his possession he's obliged to use it? Pretty dodgy logic there mate.
That's not what I said. I said once it's drawn and he's grabbed by the tie and is outnumbered and there's a dog and warnings are given. If you have a gun drawn you don't give someone a chance to get it.

Quote:
How do I know they're Travellers? The same way I can often tell if a given black person in London is African or Jamaican, by looking at them and listening to them. Am I missing something here like?
Racist.
04-12-2018, 09:12   #74
FTA69

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawred2 View Post
Unlikely that there was any dog... Sure a German Shepherd would be clearly heard snarling when grabbing that guard's tie

Unless these travelers have engineered a stealth dog.. and if so there's a lucrative career in dog training for security services open to them.

They could leave all this type of business behind them..
Well in that case the cops are straight up lying about the circumstances in which they shot a fella, which to refer back to my original post, doesn't fill me with confidence about them being allowed to run around the place with guns.
Thanks from:
04-12-2018, 09:14   #75
FTA69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonftw View Post

Racist.
What are you even on about lad? This is just dopey sh*t to be honest. If you want to have a discussion about the police and firearms then no problem, if your going to engage in childish nonsense like the above then I couldn't be arsed really.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion