Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-12-2018, 19:38   #31
NSAman

I left a good few years ago. Have set up a nice lifestyle for myself with all the "little" creature comforts that one could want. I couldi not make a living in Ireland in what I do, so I was left with no option.

Would I return to Ireland if I could? ABSO****LUTELY

I already have my retirement plan set out, I have the property bought and will start building that future this coming year.

I love living here, BUT, I also know that I would love to spend more time at home (it is home after all).
Advertisement
03-12-2018, 19:40   #32
EmptyTree

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguzman View Post
You will work all your life in Ireland, possibly have children or not, but if you want to give whatever you saved to your heir they will pay 33%, in the US and other countries they would pay zero.
Different bands apply, it's not a flat rate tax.
(2) thanks from:
03-12-2018, 19:43   #33
namloc1980

Some of those "facts" are a bit off such as VAT is 23%, 13.5% or 0% depending on the good or service with some industry specific rates. Anyway I thought you were going off to some utopia but it's Qatar. A country with slave labour and currently being blockaded by Saudi Arabia. Bloody hell.
03-12-2018, 19:44   #34
wakka12

And youll find plenty of bad things about whatever country you move to, just different bad things to here
03-12-2018, 19:47   #35
P_1

Been entertaining similar thoughts to the op not gonna lie.

On the one hand Ireland is relatively liberal, the people are sound, you have amazing scenery right on your doorstep and really the weather isnt all that bad even though we all like to have a bit of a moan about it.

On the other hand, rents in Dublin are eye watering to put it mildly, our taxes are basically pissed away and nothing really works public service wise.

Look around though and what are the options. Germany maybe if your German is up to scratch. The UK which is swiftly turning into a bit of a racist hellhole but they do have Gregg's. France which seems to have a riot or a terrorist attack at an alarming frequency. America, erm the less said the better.

Holland, Denmark or Sweden maybe?

I get the sentiment but perhaps it could have been worded a bit better
Advertisement
03-12-2018, 19:47   #36
dubrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguzman
Probably Qatar

Great idea. Use slave labour to subsidise your taxes.
03-12-2018, 19:51   #37
CinemaGuy45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightband View Post
How many thanks were you expecting after all that effort and attempted wit?

More than I got.

You would’ve been just as well off with all the “bye” “bye now” “nice knowing you “ muck.

Thanks for the tip

Massive divide here, wouldn’t blame anyone for leaving. Income tax figures seem a bit off though, maybe recalculate and reevaluate

After Hours is not the place for serious advice lighting up a bit.
03-12-2018, 19:52   #38
theguzman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrov View Post
Great idea. Use slave labour to subsidise your taxes.

Qatar is just one of the low tax regimes I am thinking of, The US is also very appealing depending on which state I'd go to. I don't know how anyone could defend what is happening in Ireland unless you were a Civil Servant on a cushy job with a pension. I know lads who stay in bed all day, drink a few cans or smoke a bit of weed, they have nothing to their name and contribute nothing to society only draw down from the system, before they would anger me but as every day passes I admire them more for being able to give two fingers to the taxman.
(3) thanks from:
03-12-2018, 19:54   #39
Don't Chute!

Great! One less gob****e in the country. Only a couple of hundred thousand more to go.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-12-2018, 19:58   #40
namloc1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguzman View Post
Qatar is just one of the low tax regimes I am thinking of, The US is also very appealing depending on which state I'd go to. I don't know how anyone could defend what is happening in Ireland unless you were a Civil Servant on a cushy job with a pension. I know lads who stay in bed all day, drink a few cans or smoke a bit of weed, they have nothing to their name and contribute nothing to society only draw down from the system, before they would anger me but as every day passes I admire them more for being able to give two fingers to the taxman.
You sound like a multinational. Picking where you live based on the local tax situation is a bit odd really.
Thanks from:
03-12-2018, 19:58   #41
M.T. Cranium

Canada is great for low taxes.

Not really, I was just testing whether or not I could make the sun go dark.

But just for sake of comparison, we pay a goods and service tax of 5% on most consumer goods. Provinces have additional sales taxes in some cases. Our income tax rates seem about similar to yours. There is no inheritance tax (edit, some parts may be taxed as income, but it's not a straight percentage tax on inheritance). Our "petrol" prices are not as high although taxes added may be almost as much.

In most of our larger cities, the weather may be colder for a few months but generally speaking warmer from April to September with perhaps a bit more sunshine. So it would be a tolerable trade-off if you didn't mind the winters being much colder (a bit colder in the case of Vancouver).

Health care costs here are not terribly high and the service is not terribly bad. I could imagine it being better but I know it's worse in the UK and (for cost) in the USA. Going by what you say in Ireland.

Electricity rates vary a lot from province to province, I've heard people in Ontario saying they are being gouged, it is a bit steep here in BC but affordable, and cheaper in some other parts.

I can imagine improvements to our tax system in Canada but I imagine it seems not too bad to outside observers.

As to what we get for our taxes, this tends to be less of a complaint among Canadians, but a lot of our government services are provided by provinces rather than the federal government, which means a bit more control through the electoral process. I don't think I am receiving very much back for any federal taxes that I pay, but it's comforting to think we have a military who can surrender in an orderly fashion if any actual military power invades us. That takes the burden off my shoulders.

Last edited by M.T. Cranium; 03-12-2018 at 20:05.
03-12-2018, 20:04   #42
Dravokivich

So where/when is the leaving party and are you inviting us, in some sort of indirect way?
Thanks from:
03-12-2018, 20:54   #43
Sugar Free

OP I agree with some of your sentiment but I'd urge you to consider all aspects of life in the country you move to. For example, I live in a country considered to be low tax versus Ireland. I can take public transport with no restrictions covering about a fifth of the country for ~70e a month. In many circumstances I can sell assets without paying any CGT. I can pass on and inherit assets tax free (varies by state) to/from immediate family with no upper threshold.

However, you have to pay mandatory health insurance premiums, which for most people are 200-300e per month regardless of whether you need to avail of any healthcare. And you still have a deductible you need to reach before you can claim anything back. It is extremely rare for employers to cover this unlike in Ireland where every global company worth it's salt gives you a good policy.

You also have to pay a wealth tax when your net wealth is >70,000e (varies by state). Renting in the principal city makes Dublin rent look like postively good value and purchasing property suitable as a family home within 10km of said city centre is unattainable for almost everyone who isn't in investment banking or pharma. The cost of 5 days a week childcare is ~2200E a month. Per child. No discounts.

So my point is be careful what you wish for! Ireland's income and CGT/CAT system is a bit dysfunctional but most countries that weren't built in the middle of a desert will find other ways to get you, even if their taxation looks great from the outside looking in.

Last edited by Sugar Free; 03-12-2018 at 21:26. Reason: A later post reminded me!
03-12-2018, 21:05   #44
Richard Hillman

Living standards are plummeting. Year in year out, the cost of living is exceeding inflation and wage increases. Year in year out, governments are nipping away at your money through stealth taxes and mandatory expenses.

And more is on its way. Minimum Pricing of Alcohol, mandatory health insurance, can/bottle deposit schemes, television/media license, congestion charges, road tolls, public transport fare increases, they are all on the way. We won't be doing much L-I-V-I-N-G. No country for young men.
03-12-2018, 21:08   #45
Rubberchikken

ireland isnt just dublin. there are other counties out there if people only opened their eyes/a map.
yes we have taxes. yes rents are silly bugger amounts. but other countries have taxes, high rents, eeven crap weather at times.

ireland needs lots of improvements, a new proper health system. decent politicians/gardai/etc and the chances of any of that happening are nil, but most people are ok and the scenery is good.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion