Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-11-2018, 07:56   #61
KevinCavan

One argument in favour of paying the Dublin teachers more would be: In other professions people move to Dublin because the salary they would get in Dublin would be way better than in Mayo or other counties, whereas a Mayo teacher in a low cost rural area gets paid the same as a Dublin teacher who could be paying €1000 in rent per month.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-11-2018, 08:06   #62
thegills

Force all landlords who are PS to rent out their properties to fellow PS at affordable rent levels
28-11-2018, 08:10   #63
namloc1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegills View Post
Force all landlords who are PS to rent out their properties to fellow PS at affordable rent levels
What kind of proposal is that? Why not force everyone to rent out at affordable levels? What is an affordable level anyway??
(4) thanks from:
28-11-2018, 08:12   #64
machiavellianme

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatranska View Post
We might as well blame travellers for people becoming teachers, nurses etc. !!

Btw...teachers on leave from their jobs don't get paid while not working. But let's not allow facts get in the way.
Wrong, they get paid annual leave. And presumably get paid sick leave.
28-11-2018, 08:13   #65
KevinCavan

A lot of people can avoid paying tax, that are outside the public service and that is how they can afford to become landlords. I’d imagine most builders and tradesmen have more than one house, as a result of doing cash jobs at a “cash price.”
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-11-2018, 08:15   #66
wirelessdude01

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegills

Such populist rubbish. Look Dublin needs something like they have in London. Differential bands of pay depending on where you work. Also key lower paid workers such as teachers/police/first responders have access to subsidised accomodation (only catch being in London this accommodation was generally in not very nice areas).
28-11-2018, 08:21   #67
sbsquarepants

Jaysus those poor, poor, teachers - some of them I hear even have to consider working some of their 4 months holidays just to make ends meet.
Similarly the poor cops, having to eat cornflakes for dinner again are they?

I must know a very unrepresentative bunch of cops, teachers and nurses so - cos every single one I know of is doing quite nicely for themselves. Never mind the wages - which are not too shabby in the first place, then there's the perks, the pensions.

It's not like people begrudge them, they do important jobs, they should be well paid. But lay off the poor mouth bolloxology.

I really wish they'd just shut the fúck up and get on with the jobs they're paid very well for - OR and bear with me now, this is a crazy idea, but hear me out - they could do something else for a living!
(2) thanks from:
28-11-2018, 08:28   #68
sbsquarepants

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammajamma View Post
A friends younger sister started in the public service last year, she's getting a smidgeon over minimum wage yet living/renting in Dublin. Don't know how she does it.

I think a lot of people are getting confused with a 50 year public servant who has all the hefty increments and bonuses already built up, versus someone who's trying to get their life off the ground.

Yet another 2 tier system.
Are you suggesting that your friends younger sister should be paid (out of the public kitty) the same amount as her colleague with 25 or 30 years experience, because she would like a nice house?

Incidentally, do you know of any person, working at any level, in any job, who wouldn't like a nice house?
28-11-2018, 08:36   #69
Darkglasses
The King of Rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by limnam View Post
No one was "shafted" Their employer was bankrupt. Financially embarrassed. They were been paid too much anyway.
How were new people post-Haddington Road being paid too much?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-11-2018, 08:36   #70
_Kaiser_

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17-pdr View Post
Wasn't it a sub department of the Ministry of Fun years ago? Can't remember the last time I genuinely laughed me b*ll*cks off reading a thread in here tbh.
We're all getting older as a user base (think there's stats showing that) and issues like this and the others referred to become more serious when you're no longer sharing with a few mates in your early twenties

Anyway all the notion of paying public servants a extra rent allowance (don't gardai get this anyway?) would do is up rents for EVERYONE
28-11-2018, 08:44   #71
JupiterKid

Ah, the housing crisis/scandal making - as one poster opined - the once jocular and lighthearted After Hours into an embittered, let's attack the perceived cosseted group du jour - Angry Hours. Its pretty sad...

Anyone with half a brain should see that the current govt have been utterly abysmal to the point of wanton neglect in even beginning to deal with the housing scandal. They simply do not care and, even if they truly did, are totally incompetent in tacking the issues. There's a neo-liberal free market must trump common good ideology in place and those losing out are turning against each other.

People having to do 4 hour commutes each way daily attacking those on social welfare who apparently are all entitled to their "forever" homes or those in the public sector who do vital jobs in education, healthcare and public order. I can assure you Leo V, Eoghan Murphy and chums are smirking at this circus of blame and anger.

Classic divide and conquer scenario. Well, direct your anger where it should be - at the current shower in power. Go out this coming Saturday to protest the housing scandal, punish them at the ballot box in the forthcoming election. Do something that might make a difference rather than wasting energy blaming other losers in the game of housing.

Last edited by JupiterKid; 28-11-2018 at 08:55.
28-11-2018, 08:44   #72
Fann Linn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addle View Post
Decentralise more departments.
Free up accommodation for those who remain in cities.
Give a boost to other locations.
Win, win?!
Didn't we try that before:Welcome to Parlon Country'.
(2) thanks from:
28-11-2018, 08:49   #73
_Brian

To be honest I disagree with special payments to PS so they can afford rents or purchase of houses, I say that even though my wife is a PS.

PS have a decent pay structure and they need to make their own way same as the rest of us have to. It signals a failure of the whole system if people earning above average wage need supports to live.

If they can’t afford Dublin initially they need to cut their cloth and move to more rural areas to work so they can afford to live. Or accept a long commute same as tens of thousands of people for whom wage subs are impossible.
28-11-2018, 08:52   #74
sbsquarepants

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Brian View Post

If they can’t afford Dublin initially they need to cut their cloth and move to more rural areas to work so they can afford to live. Or accept a long commute same as tens of thousands of people for whom wage subs are impossible.
Away out of here with your sense! There's no vote to be bought with that shíte!
Thanks from:
28-11-2018, 09:07   #75
wirelessdude01

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Brian

See PS and CS aren't all that widely available in rural areas and this will only continue to decline with rural depopulation. Also young people on low wages mostly can't afford cars let alone the car insurance. Vicious vicious circle.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion