Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-11-2018, 06:23   #31
kneemos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike9832 View Post
Why is he not being deported back to his **** hole?

What do ye expect when we have a Muslim leader

He was born in Hawaii.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
27-11-2018, 07:23   #32
John Sacrimoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneemos View Post
He was born in Hawaii.
What's your point?
27-11-2018, 07:37   #33
dr.fuzzenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
It is entirely justifiable to debate this case. What's not so easily justified is framing the debate on the basis that the defendant is a rapist, and the sentence should be one appropriate to rape. The defendant wasn't accused of, charged with, or convicted of rape; he couldn't possibly be sentenced for rape.

And, when the response from the OP when this is pointed out is, basically, "I don't care", this ceases to be a debate about whether the sentence in this case is appropriate or not. What the OP actually wants to debate is, seemingly, the appropriate sentence for rape, not the appropriate sentence in this case.
My point is that to some people the race and religion of the accused is far more important than the actual crime committed and that they are far more outraged about that than the actual crime.
(3) thanks from:
27-11-2018, 07:51   #34
Spleerbun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.fuzzenstein View Post
My point is that to some people the race and religion of the accused is far more important than the actual crime committed and that they are far more outraged about that than the actual crime.
Equally there's the other side who are so desperate to defend someone's religion that they will go out of their way to side track and trivialise any debate on the subject. Goes both ways. Luckily this thread doesn't need to be about that subject as this guy is enough of a scumbag that he should bring us all together in our condemnation.
(3) thanks from:
27-11-2018, 08:03   #35
Peregrinus

Quote:
I get that. But the OP mentions neither the offender's race, nor his religion, nor his crime. Instead, it mentions an entirely different crime, which looks strikingly like an attempt not so much to engage in justifiable debate about the case as to poison the well at the outsetm by framing the discussion in misleading terms. And while the OP does say several times that he is unconcerned with the offender's race or skin colour, he does say, in post #15, that he thinks the OP should be deported, which I think is something that wouldn't even come up but for the defendant's non-Irish background.

But, yeah, I think the OP's anger is mainly directed not at foreigners but at sex offenders. But the gist of his position seems to be that sexual assaults should be punished as if they were rapes. But he doesn't offer any reason why this should be so, and it's kind of difficult to debate a position for which no arguments are offered.

And the fact that the offender is an immigrant and a Muslim does muddy the waters still further because, while the OP is not really interested in this feature of the case, as you point out several other posters seem to attach considerable significance to it.

So, all in all, not a very promising attempt at a debate.
Advertisement
27-11-2018, 08:16   #36
El_Duderino 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieMason View Post
Why are you picking on the Muslim rapists and not the Irish ones? this is so racist

That's the third time that joke has been made in anticipation of someone making the point seriously.

I think it's worth pointing out that nobody has actually raised a racist angle to thy story except some clown aaying Leo is a Muslim, hence a lenient sentence for a fellow Muslim (this is so stupid it might be ironic, apologies if this is the case)

The funny thing is that the story is about how he didn't apologise to the girl when ambushed by journalist outside the prison. Why would anyone think that's a good time to make an unprepared statement?
27-11-2018, 08:18   #37
kneemos

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duderino 09 View Post
That's the third time that joke has been made in anticipation of someone making the point seriously.

I think it's worth pointing out that nobody has actually raised a racist angle to thy story except some clown aaying Leo is a Muslim, hence a lenient sentence for a fellow Muslim (this is so stupid it might be ironic, apologies if this is the case)

The funny thing is that the story is about how he didn't apologise to the girl when ambushed by journalist outside the prison. Why would anyone think that's a good time to make an unprepared statement?

How did the journalist know he was leaving the prison?
27-11-2018, 08:24   #38
Hannibal_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sacrimoni View Post
Its nothing to do with race, this fella will abuse again 100%. 10 months for raping a child, how are people standing for this?

The may aswell have invited him to target more kids.
He didn't rape a child. Not according to the article you linked...unless I missed it?

Edit...sorry just got to page 2 and see this was already straightened out

Last edited by Hannibal_Smith; 27-11-2018 at 08:28.
(3) thanks from:
27-11-2018, 08:28   #39
El_Duderino 09

Quote:

That is the right question to answer. Are sentences for rape overtly lenient? Especially against children?
How is the conviction rate? How does Ireland compare to other countries?
Discussions about the man's race or religion are entirely irrelevant from a legal standpoint, since those are not taken into account.
It's entirely justified to debate the case, but "shure de Muslims!"
Fair questions but it also makes sense to ask what's the difference in outcome between different sentences.

To any normal person the knowledge that you harmed a child would be a big punishment. Plus the stigma of the community knowing what you are. The difference between 10 months and 18 months in prison would be a minor consideration compared to the entire life afterwards.

If time in prison was directly correlated with reduction in recidivism then sentences should be benchmarked accordingly. But I don't think that's the case. If prison is just to warehouse prisoners for a few months or years then it's arbitrary anyway so one sentence is similar to another.

Last edited by El_Duderino 09; 27-11-2018 at 08:33.
Advertisement
27-11-2018, 08:31   #40
El_Duderino 09

Quote:
Quote:

I don't know how these things work. Call the prison and ask whose being released today? Bribe a prison officer?

What's that got to do with the post you quoted
27-11-2018, 08:36   #41
kneemos

Quote:
I don't know how these things work. Call the prison and ask whose being released today? Bribe a prison officer?

What's that got to do with the post you quoted

Just wondering if prison officers are getting back handers for info?

Responding to points of interest brought up in previous posts is how this whole thing works.
(2) thanks from:
27-11-2018, 08:37   #42
FTA69

Dirty f*cking nonce case should have been banged up for ten years minimum.
27-11-2018, 08:40   #43
Franz Von Peppercorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike9832 View Post
Why is he not being deported back to his **** hole?

What do ye expect when we have a Muslim leader
He’s an Irish citizen? Who’s the Muslim leader , Obama?
27-11-2018, 08:43   #44
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
Quote:
Prison officers would tip them off. Probably give their favourite journalist a schedule of releases every morning.
27-11-2018, 08:43   #45
Will I Am Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
He is not. Nor is he from a Muslim background.

He himself is not religious. His mother is a Catholic. His father is a Hindu from a Parsee background. But these are the kind of subtle distinctions that escape Islamophobes, to whom everybody with any degree of non-white background is a Muslim.
In his own words he was teaching the girl an Islamic ritual... in a mosque... It’s hardly a wild jump to a conclusion in this case.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion