Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-09-2018, 10:09   #61
dark crystal

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide_circus View Post
the suggestion is that this is purely political ie Ms Ford does not benefit personally but it's a win for the democratic party.

Ah, I see. She's decided to turn her previously quiet, happy, successful life upside down just as a 'f*ck you' to the Democrats. Hmmm. She strikes me as the vengeful sort alright.

I wonder did the Republicans feel the same way when they attempted to impeach Bill Clinton over a consensual sexual encounter with his intern? He was just the president, though, not a judge. Did Linsey Graham feel apoplectic over that too?
Advertisement
30-09-2018, 10:09   #62
ThomasFlynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoolcup View Post
Yes, but we shouldn't believe one or the other. Asking questions like "what has she got to loose" is silly. People make stuff up all the time, often for inexplicable reasons. Let the Courts do their job. We are not all legal experts.
Most of the legal experts have said she almost would be guaranteed to lose if this were in court.

Megyn Kelly (a former attorney herself), who was arguably sympathetic to the MeToo movement given to what happened to her at Fox, made this point.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...t_a_trial.html
Thanks from:
30-09-2018, 10:09   #63
batgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malayalam View Post
So far 1 million bucks in a go fund me account.

I said clearly that I have not decided who I believe. Anyone can lie under oath.
And she's had to move address twice, now requires a private security detail and likely will not be able to return to her career any time soon. It took Lewinsky about fifteen years to get a semblance of a life back. So the negative impact vastly outweighs a kickstarter, it'll probably cover survival expenses at the moment...
(2) thanks from:
30-09-2018, 10:10   #64
Franz Von Peppercorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark crystal View Post
Ah, I see. She's decided to turn her previously quiet, happy, successful life upside down just as a 'f*ck you' to the Democrats. Hmmm. She strikes me as the vengeful sort alright.

I wonder did the Republicans feel the same way when they attempted to impeach Bill Clinton over a consensual sexual encounter with his intern? He was just the president, though, not a judge. Did Linsey Graham feel apoplectic over that too?
Partisan, as I said above.
(2) thanks from:
30-09-2018, 10:10   #65
Cabaal
Ultra Running Mod

Quote:
the suggestion is that this is purely political ie Ms Ford does not benefit personally but it's a win for the democratic party.
So she's essentially ruining her life and benefits in no way from it if people think she is lieing,

That makes no sense
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
30-09-2018, 10:11   #66
suicide_circus

listen I'm not saying it's political just that that is the insinuation. it's unlikely that someone would put themselves through that but stranger things have happened. that's why these things are best kept in a court room.
Thanks from:
30-09-2018, 10:12   #67
dark crystal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malayalam View Post
So far 1 million bucks in a go fund me account.

I said clearly that I have not decided who I believe. Anyone can lie under oath.

Did she start that fund? Has she taken any money from it?

Anyone can start a gofundme account for anyone for any reason.
30-09-2018, 10:13   #68
Dick Swiveller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabaal View Post
So she's essentially ruining her life and benefits in no way from it if people think she is lieing,

That makes no sense
How is she ruining her life?
30-09-2018, 10:14   #69
batgoat

Quote:
Did she start that fund? Has she taken any money from it?

Anyone can start a gofundme account for anyone for any reason.
She referenced it when asked about how she would pay various costs but wasn't set up by her from what I gather. She wasn't even clear on how to get the money at this point in time.
Advertisement
30-09-2018, 10:15   #70
leggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by givyjoe View Post
This oj nonsense again. They real difference there is.. there was OVERWHELMING evidence of his guilt.

This is literally he said, she said.
Is this the first ever sexual assault story you've followed? How do you conclusively prove someone took their dick out without having a camera ready at the exact moment it happened? This is why it's so difficult to convict people, why so few people come forward to report incidents and why there's perhaps an over-correcting trend towards believing accusers, hence stuff like #IBelieveHer trending.

It's mental like, a bit of perspective is needed. A lot of lads feel hard done by because of trial by social media, and that's fair enough I feel similarly, but they fail to realise that the system is already massively skewed towards rapists and people who commit these crimes yet have no interest in using their time to come up with solutions to that. How do you look at this situation and think, "Nope, let's keep the rapist-friendly status quo in place and do nothing"? It's so weird and creepy tbh. That could be your sister/wife/girlfriend/female friend one day who's begging to be believed, if god forbid this happens to them, are you going to give them a spiel about 'he said, she said'?!
(4) thanks from:
30-09-2018, 10:16   #71
Malayalam

Quote:
Originally Posted by batgoat View Post
And she's had to move address twice, now requires a private security detail and likely will not be able to return to her career any time soon. It took Lewinsky about fifteen years to get a semblance of a life back. So the negative impact vastly outweighs a kickstarter.
You know that the four people who she put forward to corroborate her accusations including her close friend refused to back her up? It's also a recovered memory, so far she can't say how she got to and from the house or whose house it was. If she was in court the burden of proof would weigh heavily on her. People lie all the time - either she is or he is. None of us can definitively say which. It's all opinion.
Thanks from:
30-09-2018, 10:17   #72
ThomasFlynn

Quote:
Lindsey Graham, Chuck Grassley, Orrin Hatch, all voted to impeach Bill Clinton back in 1999.

Brett Kavanaugh was under the wing of Ken Starr at the time and said he would do his best to prove the unethical behaviour of Bill Clinton. Brett Kavanaugh afaik went to great lengths to investigate the angles and trajectory of Bill Clinton's semen shoot on Monica Lewinsky's dress which sounds a bit creepy.
30-09-2018, 10:19   #73
meeeeh

Quote:
yes but sexual assault cases usually get thrashed out in a court with a judge and jury
Actually no they don't. Most probably aren't even reported, and some don't make it to the court (some for very good reason) but don't pretend sexual assault is like a break in and theft.
(2) thanks from:
30-09-2018, 10:22   #74
Dick Swiveller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggo View Post
Is this the first ever sexual assault story you've followed? How do you conclusively prove someone took their dick out without having a camera ready at the exact moment it happened? This is why it's so difficult to convict people, why so few people come forward to report incidents and why there's perhaps an over-correcting trend towards believing accusers, hence stuff like #IBelieveHer trending.

It's mental like, a bit of perspective is needed. A lot of lads feel hard done by because of trial by social media, and that's fair enough I feel similarly, but they fail to realise that the system is already massively skewed towards rapists and people who commit these crimes yet have no interest in using their time to come up with solutions to that. How do you look at this situation and think, "Nope, let's keep the rapist-friendly status quo in place and do nothing"? It's so weird and creepy tbh. That could be your sister/wife/girlfriend/female friend one day who's begging to be believed, if god forbid this happens to them, are you going to give them a spiel about 'he said, she said'?!
Nonsense. #ibelieveher is trending because lots of people - mainly stupid people - like to belong to a movement, a herd, to be part of something. It's sinister and stupid and anyone taking part in it is a moron.

Next, your suggestion that courts are rape-friendly is ludicrous. The threshold for convicting someone of rape is high- because it has to be. Rape, unlike many crimes often involves many grey areas and other factors unrelated to the alleged physical assault. It is not as simple as you are making out.

The presumption of innocence is the greatest liberty we possess, yet you and the mob are willing to overturn hundreds and hundreds of years of beautifully crafted and effective jurisprudence. What is your alternative by the way? What would you do to ensure more convictions - which is what you seem to want.
(2) thanks from:
30-09-2018, 10:22   #75
Malayalam

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeeeh View Post
Actually no they don't. Most probably aren't even reported, and some don't make it to the court (some for very good reason) but don't pretend sexual assault is like a break in and theft.
That is because the burden of proof is so difficult in sexual assault cases. Which is exactly why these cases should not be ventilated between public mobs. The potential for damage to both parties is enormous.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion