Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-12-2018, 19:19   #376
backspin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyHepburn View Post
Like it or not a pinch on the bum or a hand on your arm is not the same as rape or serious sexual assault and to try and pretend it is is an insult to real victims.
I can't believe this is even debated.

I'm sure an actual rape victim would swap their experience for a nip on the bum without question. It's grotesque to even compare them.
Advertisement
06-12-2018, 19:39   #377
givyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggo View Post
Your banter is awful and you’re behaving like a child, can you stop talking to me now? We’re not going to be friends.
Banter?! Case in point.
06-12-2018, 19:59   #378
leggo

Anyway back to #MeToo I totally get why people find it annoying when they tell others to leave them alone and they don’t.
Thanks from:
06-12-2018, 20:08   #379
The Rape of Lucretia

Quote:
Anyway back to #MeToo I totally get why people find it annoying when they tell others to leave them alone and they don’t.
Do they really mean it though ?
Legion are the women awooed despite telling their suitor at first that they wished to be left alone. Lending good credence to the understanding that this is part of the game played be elegant females to inform their judgement as to the depth of commitment of a potential husband.
Thanks from:
06-12-2018, 20:11   #380
Zorya

Quote:
Right yeah because people annoying you by talking back to you on an anonymous forum when you don't want them to is any way comparable to sexual assault? Says it all really.

Remember now, the ''Anyway back to #MeToo'' is the contextualising part of the sentence - #PatronisingExplanationWordsConcepts
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-12-2018, 20:18   #381
leggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorya View Post
Right yeah because people annoying you by talking back to you on an anonymous forum when you don't want them to is any way comparable to sexual assault? Says it all really.

Remember now, the ''Anyway back to #MeToo'' is the contextualising part of the sentence - #PatronisingExplanationWordsConcepts
Do you have another conversation piece beyond “Are you comparing (whatever someone is talking about) to rape??” Change the record like. It’s been said multiple times to you in this thread, you’re the only one making weird comparisons here. It’s a bit mental tbh, sorry.
06-12-2018, 20:23   #382
emptyhouse2222

this is the beginning of metoo
tiandra kelley

06-12-2018, 20:26   #383
BBFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyhouse2222 View Post
this is the beginning of metoo
tiandra kelley

What exactly is your point in posting a photo?
(2) thanks from:
06-12-2018, 20:28   #384
AudreyHepburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by backspin. View Post
I can't believe this is even debated.

I'm sure an actual rape victim would swap their experience for a nip on the bum without question. It's grotesque to even compare them.
Agreed and it’s this that I hate most about metoo.

We have degrees of murder for god’s sake, why can’t we have degrees here?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-12-2018, 20:31   #385
BBFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyHepburn View Post
Agreed and it’s this that I hate most about metoo.

We have degrees of murder for god’s sake, why can’t we have degrees here?
We do have degrees though?
06-12-2018, 20:33   #386
Zorya

Quote:
Do you have another conversation piece beyond “Are you comparing (whatever someone is talking about) to rape??” Change the record like. It’s been said multiple times to you in this thread, you’re the only one making weird comparisons here. It’s a bit mental tbh, sorry.
Um no actually it has also been said in the wikipedia entry under ''Me Too'' which I posted earlier. Both sexual harrassment including minor incidents and sexual assault up to full blown rape are conflated under MeToo. I wonder how the poor young girl from Germany who was brutally raped in the inner city a few days ago feels about Georgina from the typing pool saying ''Me Too'' because Barry from accounts once said she had perky tits.

Sure, it would be great if the world was really 'nice' and people never sexually harrassed anybody else, and sexual bullying is hateful and aught to be stopped, but my guess is that as long as humans have willies and fannies there is going to be some level of sexual messiness.

And I could not give less of a single flying feck about what others say to me about my opinions on forums, because I feel I am correct in my opinion in this case. Others are entitled to their opinions, and guess what, Leggo, I am entitled to mine. They may indeed be more correct than I - I honestly do not know how my opinions will change over time - but in this case I am, as of now, absolutely convinced that conflating brutality with annoyance is a big problem. It just seems logical to me to hold that opinion. And all your condescension does not seem to change my stance, weirdly enough.
(2) thanks from:
06-12-2018, 20:45   #387
emptyhouse2222

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFAN View Post
What exactly is your point in posting a photo?
my point is that this is the woman who started metoo
06-12-2018, 20:53   #388
BBFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyhouse2222 View Post
my point is that this is the woman who started metoo
Yeah right.
(2) thanks from:
06-12-2018, 21:07   #389
leggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorya View Post
Um no actually it has also been said in the wikipedia entry under ''Me Too'' which I posted earlier. Both sexual harrassment including minor incidents and sexual assault up to full blown rape are conflated under MeToo. I wonder how the poor young girl from Germany who was brutally raped in the inner city a few days ago feels about Georgina from the typing pool saying ''Me Too'' because Barry from accounts once said she had perky tits.

Sure, it would be great if the world was really 'nice' and people never sexually harrassed anybody else, and sexual bullying is hateful and aught to be stopped, but my guess is that as long as humans have willies and fannies there is going to be some level of sexual messiness.

And I could not give less of a single flying feck about what others say to me about my opinions on forums, because I feel I am correct in my opinion in this case. Others are entitled to their opinions, and guess what, Leggo, I am entitled to mine. They may indeed be more correct than I - I honestly do not know how my opinions will change over time - but in this case I am, as of now, absolutely convinced that conflating brutality with annoyance is a big problem. It just seems logical to me to hold that opinion. And all your condescension does not seem to change my stance, weirdly enough.
Most people take a measure of comfort in talking about bad experiences and seeing that they’re not alone or that the range of emotions they went through are natural. I think the people that have spoken to you here see it as natural to feel that way rather than compare.

It depends on one’s viewpoint though. If someone went through a bad experience then heard people talking about someone else’s bad experience and thought “Wait why am I not getting all the sympathy or attention instead?” I guess that’d be possible, but it’d mean that getting sympathy and attention would be their priority. And I don’t mean that as a bad thing, it’s comforting to get sympathy and attention, and I guess natural to seek it in light of experiencing something harrowing. Or they may not want to talk about it at all and resent people who do because it makes them relive their own experience. That’s fine too, but it also comes with the presumption that the world should share their coping mechanisms, which is kind of like telling someone how they should handle the death of a loved one. Some like to talk and let it out, others don’t, neither way is right or wrong. And you get to decide for yourself how you deal with your own bad experiences, but that freedom you enjoy also allows other people to do it their way too.

To that point, it seems pretty disrespectful to compare notes. If someone’s auntie or second cousin or work colleague died and they were sad and wanted to talk about it, it’d be bad form to tell them your mother had died and you didn’t talk so they should shut up because you’ve had it worse. You can opt out and not be the one to comfort them if it makes you uncomfortable, you can block it all out entirely, but to judge others for how they react to bad situations they encounter? I mean you’re right when you say you’re entitled to do so, but others are also entitled to think you’re being a bit of a dick FOR doing so.
06-12-2018, 21:26   #390
Zorya

Quote:
Most people take a measure of comfort in talking about bad experiences and seeing that they’re not alone or that the range of emotions they went through are natural. I think the people that have spoken to you here see it as natural to feel that way rather than compare.

It depends on one’s viewpoint though. If someone went through a bad experience then heard people talking about someone else’s bad experience and thought “Wait why am I not getting all the sympathy or attention instead?” I guess that’d be possible, but it’d mean that getting sympathy and attention would be their priority. And I don’t mean that as a bad thing, it’s comforting to get sympathy and attention, and I guess natural to seek it in light of experiencing something harrowing. Or they may not want to talk about it at all and resent people who do because it makes them relive their own experience. That’s fine too, but it also comes with the presumption that the world should share their coping mechanisms, which is kind of like telling someone how they should handle the death of a loved one. Some like to talk and let it out, others don’t, neither way is right or wrong. And you get to decide for yourself how you deal with your own bad experiences, but that freedom you enjoy also allows other people to do it their way too.

To that point, it seems pretty disrespectful to compare notes. If someone’s auntie or second cousin or work colleague died and they were sad and wanted to talk about it, it’d be bad form to tell them your mother had died and you didn’t talk so they should shut up because you’ve had it worse. You can opt out and not be the one to comfort them if it makes you uncomfortable, you can block it all out entirely, but to judge others for how they react to bad situations they encounter? I mean you’re right when you say you’re entitled to do so, but others are also entitled to think you’re being a bit of a dick FOR doing so.

Yeesh. I'm not saying people should not speak of their uncomfortable experiences and I would be very sympathetic to them, harassment or bullying is disgusting. It's not in the same ballpark as aggravated sexual violence, that's all.

Let us agree to disagree. You are perfectly entitled to think I am a dick, no worries. But regardless I'm weary now of the back and forth. Go forth and prosper.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion