Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-09-2018, 04:08   #1
Kermit.de.frog

End of #metoo

The highly likely acceptance of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court would appear to mark the end of #metoo.

Why?

Because a lot of people sided with him against what they saw as what was turning in to a witch hunt against men. Even liberal women friends of mine were undecided on this one after the hearings.

That and the movement made it even more easy for accusations to be made that could ruin someone's career and life even if those accusations were completely false.

Then you had the backlash against actors from Hollywood (Liam Neeson for example) for merely suggesting, whilst there are many genuine cases of sexual assault, there was a witch hunt against men and it was getting out of control. Guilty until proven innocent.

I'm glad Kavanaugh will join the Supreme Court even though I oppose his politics because it has put an end this "movement".

Last edited by Kermit.de.frog; 30-09-2018 at 04:14.
Advertisement
30-09-2018, 04:32   #2
Canis Lupus

A lot of it is just twitter noise. Don't use twitter or work in an environment where no importance is placed on it and the movement means little.

So when the situation is an actor is accused the twitter folks can get whipped up, studios for whatever reason back off because of PR and all sorts of dumb reasons

Nomination for supreme court? A judge and the like are going to want actual evidence and witness testimony and no amount of online rabble rabble from bleeding twitter users changes that fact.
30-09-2018, 04:58   #3
sabat

What will really bring it to an end is when a high-profile prosecution gets thrown out of court because the scale of unsubstantiated (not necessarily untrue) accusations will make it impossible for an individual to receive a fair trial. I wouldn't be surprised if Harvey Weinstein, for example, doesn't spend a day in prison. The existing legal system, for all its flaws, is where civilised societies deal with these things, not over the internet.
30-09-2018, 05:18   #4
leggo

I don’t know if Kavanaugh is the guy to bring down the movement: I mean you’ve got a highly credible accuser (even Fox News say as much and you know they’d love to slate her if they could) versus a lad who’s supposedly willing to do ‘anything’ to prove his innocence but refuses point blank to say he’d be happy for an FBI investigation to happen. Why wouldn’t an innocent man who knows the rigours of justice and wants to clear his name wish to submit to a process that would have to suppose him innocent until evidence of guilt arose, unless he knows there might be said evidence out there? I believe her tbh in this case and think any subsequent appointment of his here would be another damning indictment into the frailty of America’s justice system.

As a lad, I get that other men are threatened by this and terrified a skeleton in their closet may arise so pray for an ending, but I don’t think it’s ever going to get to a stage where it ‘ends’ and things go back to how they were. If you used to get away with slapping your secretary’s bottom in work, I’m sorry but I don’t think that’s going to fly again. However I do think it’ll level off eventually and people en masse won’t just believe everything they read on Twitter sans evidence, and that’s a good thing too (like I know women personally who posted emotional stories slating people but I’ve also witnessed tell HUGE lies or be sexually aggressive towards men themselves, so it definitely wasn’t a zero-sum process). I think this period has been, and continues to be, perhaps an overdue over-correction, which is what happens whenever you oppress a segment of society and don’t offer a viable solution in its place: you get an angry, emotional reaction rather than a logical one that’s fair on all sides. I get where it came from and I think once it balances out we’ll have a better, more equal culture for it, which I’m happy with since I’ve a sister and loads of other women in my life that I care about and want that for.

Last edited by leggo; 30-09-2018 at 05:23.
30-09-2018, 06:11   #5
NIMAN

It needs to find a balancing point, and lets hope it comes soon.

A quote from that hearing in the USA the other day stood out for me.

"...I thought he was going to rape me".

Is that enough to convict someone on? Or ruin their career?

For some, sadly, it seems it is.
Advertisement
30-09-2018, 06:19   #6
_Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMAN View Post

I think your possibly quoting out of context there which isn’t fair.

If nothing happened and she said she thought that you might have a point.

But I think as part of a sexual assault that’s a very real and appropriate line of thinking and is relevant to the evidence being given.
30-09-2018, 08:05   #7
batgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMAN View Post

Two men pinned her to a bed, covered her mouth and tried to remove her clothing... I would say it's reasonable to assume that's attempted rape...
30-09-2018, 08:11   #8
Canis Lupus

Quote:
Originally Posted by batgoat View Post
Two men pinned her to a bed, covered her mouth and tried to remove her clothing... I would say it's reasonable to assume that's attempted rape...
Jesus if you were there why the hell didn't you make yourself known before now?! Quick, call the FBI they'll want to talk to you.
30-09-2018, 08:15   #9
batgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis Lupus View Post
Jesus if you were there why the hell didn't you make yourself known before now?! Quick, call the FBI they'll want to talk to you.
That's from her testimony, the only thing that is being disputed by the GOP is that it was Kavanaugh. She has spoken about the incident in counselling in the past. Do you think she's invented it cause the only ones making that claim is The_Donald on Reddit...
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
30-09-2018, 08:15   #10
listermint

It appears the OP has zero clue about Hill and the impact that had on women voting or going into political careers.

If kavanagh gets through it will 100% mirror what happened there and we will have a massive female push to vote and entering politics.

I doubt the op knows any liberal women whatever they are. Do they wear a headband ?
30-09-2018, 08:16   #11
Kermit.de.frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by batgoat View Post
Guilty until proven innocent?
30-09-2018, 08:17   #12
Kermit.de.frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by listermint View Post
It appears the OP has zero clue about Hill and the impact that had on women voting or going into political careers.

If kavanagh gets through it will 100% mirror what happened there and we will have a massive female push to vote and entering politics.

I doubt the op knows any liberal women whatever they are. Do they wear a headband ?
I know liberal women and they don't believe her.

What do you have to say about that?
30-09-2018, 08:21   #13
batgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit.de.frog View Post

Plenty didn't believe Hill at the time either, still didn't change the fact that the majority of women did and it motivated a huge vote. Her credibility has been shown to be perfect to date, not so much for Kavanaugh.
30-09-2018, 08:22   #14
listermint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit.de.frog View Post

I say you just made it up to start this thread.

I'm just going on history here to back up my thoughts
30-09-2018, 08:31   #15
BeerWolf

Social media "justice" of guilty until proven otherwise, were mere accusations, is a fall back to the days akin to Salem... witch hunting.

I honestly cannot fathom this backward mentality when liberals are supposedly progressive.

Misandry has taken the helm! And for some reason that is acceptable? Why is this blatant sexism, as well as racism (towards whites) allowed?

The media just enjoys to stir up **** with hypocrisy...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion